Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

StopLeak probs/issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: StopLeak probs/issues Reply with quote

Sorry for heisting almost heisting one of the previous posts.

My dealio is this. Minor leaking of heads observed a couple of months ago. Was topping off the backup reservoir a little (a couple of ounces) once a week. I added one can of StopLeak about two weeks ago (against the better judgement of one of my friends dangit). That was about 200 miles ago.

I wondering if I can flush the radiator and coolant system (prob. needs to be done anyway) and get that StopLeak crappola out of there before it works my other components?

Or should I just take a chill pill and wait for things to suss themselves out? Maybe get a new radiator when this one blows (though I would hate to be in the boonies and have that happen).

I'm more into preventative maintenance but I'm still a newbie to all of this sooo...any advice appreciated.
Danka
Kev
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: StopLeak probs/issues Reply with quote

hwy1westy wrote:

I wondering if I can flush the radiator and coolant system (prob. needs to be done anyway) and get that StopLeak crappola out of there before it works my other components?

What do you think it has done to your system? While i would never use the stuff, i've heard of people successfully getting results from it. Not many, but some. It isn't too hard to drain and flush your cooling system, you just end up with a LOT of coolant to dispose of. If you are tight on cash, run what ya brung, but if you can afford new head gaskets, etc., and can wait a couple months, I'll help you pull things apart and fix it the "right way" (not that i am a pro, or anything Cool ).

-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBX -
That's awefully nice of you. I was thinking of fixing them or doing an engine conversion later in the year so that may work out. Very Happy

Money is, of course, an issue but I do want piece of mind as well.
Kev
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't put any more in. I understand it is the BarsLeak that really does a number. But, I can not swear to it. I have read about the Suburu stuff that is a (aluminum?) powder. But, gee, it is a tough one to say much about. Flushing it would not hurt, per se. I just can not say whether it would be effective or not.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the last miserable, leaking months of my 1.9 waterleaker existence, I put some Stop leak, aluminum flake stuff, in my system to buy some time.

I ended up buying a new radiator. It plugged the leak for about three weeks. Oh, and I had to get a new overflow tank because the stuff was bonded to the bottom of it.

Flush that radiator. And if you're thinking of putting a Subie motor in, buy a new radiator. Good insurance.

Joe T.
'85 Wolfsburg Westy Subaru 2.2
www.josephtrussell.com/Vanagon.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEX uses that stuff to glue the heads on....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: