Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mud flap mounting FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:

May have to get on the lookout for some of these! I believe I still I have my brackets!

This is the guy I bought them from. He had several sets, but I got them for $35 shipped to my front door! Good Luck
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
topaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Mud Flaps Mounting T2b Reply with quote

To link to this post
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3622345#3622345]Mud Flaps Mounting T2b[/url]

Hello to all.

This is how we mounted ours.

At first we had to collect everything to do the job right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then tightened the brackets and the flaps.

Next step we took the wheels off and marked to drill the holes.

Since we are still runing 1584cc we had to switch the brackets from left to right to work well, until we start runing a type IV engine.

Then tightened the bolts,however not enough so we could balance the flaps horizontally.

At last, after the balancing procedure we tightened the flaps and the brackets.

503Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you tell us where you gathered all your parts from?
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some too they have the brackets I'll post pics next week when they're on. Bought them from Central Texas Autowerks.
topaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

503Tim

I still have some brackets however I dont have any flaps left.

The type1 mud flaps might work.
sibz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any clue for VW beetle mud flaps?
Tomato Soup VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have beetle ones as well with brackets (up to 73), or bus with brackets up to 72
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sibz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone with 1966 beetle?
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received in the mail, the "Made in Venenzula" VW Emblem Mudflaps. Came without brackets, but have fabricated my own "late bay brackets" as shown here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...b413f789a7

Went out to start the install earlier. Wanted to mount them behind rear wheels, already have a set of the blank ones up front. Seems to be that my side heat dump pipes (79-Westfalia)keep the angled bracket away from mounting on the engine carrier. Anyone else had this problem and if so a solution. I'm fine with having to fab up anything additional that may be needed.
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Seeing if any one has experienced the above mentioned problem I am running into. bump thread...
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Mud Flaps T2 Reply with quote

Can anyone advise or confirm to me if mud flaps part number 111 821 805 will fit our bays OK, and more importantly that they will look OK on a bay?

I bought these reproduction T2 mud flap brackets from Topaz (Eleny) last year.

They are fantastic, really well made, excellently priced, and loyal to the original dimensions and design. I fitted them to my bus as soon as they arrived.

However, I am running some T2 mud flaps with a moulded rubber Wolfsburg logo by VW's other OEM manufacturer of mud flaps Votex at the moment as a stop gap, which seemed to have been quite common as a VW aftermarket accessory here in the UK (they made them for the Beetle, T2, T3, Passat, Golf, regardless of the actual real factory location of vehicle manufacture, a bit like the Formula-Vee accessories). So I have them fitted whilst I have been hunting down a pair of WEGU flaps, as really want the VW logo.

I now might have the opportunity to get hold of some boxed NOS genuine WEGU flaps from the late 60s with the riveted (not moulded) VW logo.

The issue for me is that they are VW part number 111 821 805:

Ignore the brackets, I intend to keep using the T2 brackets I have already fitted from Topaz.

Refering to Ratwell on mud flap part numbers: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Mudflaps.html

Ratwell wrote:
The Genuine Article:
Genuine VW mud flaps have the VW logo stamped once or more and often are stamped WEGU by the German rubber manufacturer who made the mud flaps for VW.

They are part number 111 827 827 (beetle coded early style) or 271 821 821 (bus coded later style). The beetle variety often has the logo riveted on and the bus version has a logo that is molded into the rubber and painted white. There is a set of Genuine mud flaps without the logo and the part number is the same.

Genuine VW images:

I am concerned before that if I buy them, due to the different part number that I end up with the wrong flaps!

I found by searching on here that Everett discussed this part number in the Split Bus Forum, but they never seemed to get to the bottom of the multiple part numbers for so many similar mud flaps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338759&view=previous

Any advice greatly appreciated before I go ahead and buy them.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flaps look right but not the brackets, bug and bus use the same flap.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the correct size mud flaps and yes they will fit just fine. The only issue is if you are a purist....the Bus mud flaps were not riveted. BTW good move by buying a set of brackets from Topaz. I will ad that the flaps Eleny posted pics of are too long. By 2 inches and as Richard stated many years ago. Yes they work....are they correct for the purist....no. The ones the guy in Cyprus or Turkey depending on when he changed his name are not NOS nor correct. But they are cheap. I have NOS Venezuelan mud flaps and Nos German Wegus. Lots of things that are different. But for most people 20 bucks from Turkey or Cyprus for re popped mud flaps probably stamped elsewhere does not matter. As Bus Daddy stated the length of the flap top to bottom is the same for a Bus and a Bug. Otherwise you are going to scrape them.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have those YOM flaps? I got a set and might put them on today. These say 1969 on them, pretty cool imo.

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated. I will let you know how I get on. The different part numbers are making more sense now.

The repros mentioned are for sale from Istanbul in Turkey, and also Famagusta in Northern Cyprus (Turkish Republic side of the island). They are the closest looking repros I have seen, and I have considered them:

The only thing that gives them away as not being original, stamps aside and not up too close, is the lack of that texture that seems to define the genuine WEGU, and the gap between the bottom of the V and the top of the W seems slightly bigger than the rubber moulded ones pictured on Ratwell's site. They look however the right height compared to the Venezuelan ones.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: