Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

75-78 left rear support brackets
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: 75-78 left rear support brackets Reply with quote

I tried to make this a poll question, but it is not co-operating.....

Question: What would be a fair price you would pay for a new one?

I am negotiating with a metal fabricating company to make the 75-78 exhaust brackets in stainless steel. #19 in the middle pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know German Supply sells the 72-74 for $11.34 USD [the left one below]:

at http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16553

I am talking about the right one.

Is there any interest in it? I have had a few people ask me for them. They are usually MIA like Hoover Bits or broken.
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,
i would definately be interested. i think somewhere between $10-$15. would be fair.

dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

GreenBrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in also. $10 - $15 sounds good to me

'78 Westfalia 2.0L FI (Abigail) R.I.P.
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any effort to make quality reproductions of NLA, hard to find or failure-prone parts for our buses is wonderful and should be supported. Count me in for one also.

As far as pricing, anything in the price range mentioned sounds good.

Now how 'bout making up some air intake S boots, and some other NLA '75-'78 exhaust parts? Razz
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone was repop'ing the big S hose, but I heard it was junk.

I pick up every good used one I find. I have a few but no one seems to be asking for them.

[I am not like the Samba classified sellers, I do not advertise, I wait for someone to say "I need......"]

What NLA 75-78 exhaust parts do you need? Other than the support bracket......
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, sent you a PM. Wink
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:

What NLA 75-78 exhaust parts do you need? Other than the support bracket......

Cross over pipe and all it connects to from the heat exchangers to the muffler please, kind sir!

I also need a gravel guard for rear bumper- '78 came with those, żno?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, Left-Hand, Exhaust Bracket Reply with quote

1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, Left-Hand, Exhaust-Support Bracket

I was intrigued to note Karl's recent post, about the "75-78 left rear support brackets" and the appended link to German Supply, in Toronto, Canada, as follows:

**************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16553

« Bracket Heat Exchanger Support Bus 72-79 Part Number: 021 101 487 »

« This bracket holds the weight of the heat exchanger and exhaust system on the left side of the engine. It attaches to the lower part of the fan shroud and the heat exchanger outlet flange. This critical part is often missing, and without it you have a good chance of developing exhaust leaks at the head, or worse, having the exhaust studs pull out of the cylinder head. Genuine VW. »

**************************************************************************************************************************

Despite in recent years, having worked on five 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 engines (relatively rare beasts, here in Great Britain – the majority are 1600 Type 1 style, AD or AS-series engines, as I had originally) and one 1971 VW 411E Variant, WO-series engine, belonging to myself and other fellow VW Type 2 owning acquaintances, I have yet to find one of these elusive, left-hand, heat exchanger & exhaust silencer (i.e. muffler in North American parlance) support brackets or even the rusted remains of one. Karl's description that, "They are usually MIA (an acronyn for "Missing in Action", perchance!?!) like Hoover Bits or broken", would seem to be an apt one!

In addition, only one of the engines had a set of sheet-steel covers, for the junction between the cooling-system fan housing and the heat-exchanger shrouds. On one engine, the bracket supporting the alternator and the right-hand heat exchanger, had rusted away at the bottom, providing no support for the heat exchanger and precious little for the alternator either! With little or no support, other than the exhaust port studs, it's a wonder these exhaust systems hadn't fallen off onto the highway!

Several years ago, whilst browsing through a photocopy I had acquired, of the official 1968~79 VW Type 2, Replacement Parts Catalogue (numbered illustrations, but no descriptions or part numbers), I was surprised to discover Item No. 19, on Page 24–10 (reproduced in Karl's post), which I postulated, might be a much needed support bracket, for the left-hand heat exchanger and exhaust silencer, but the exploded diagram, gave no hint of how or where it might be fitted, assuming one were obtainable.

Noting that there was no mention of such a bracket, in the 1968~79 VW Type 2, Robert Bentley Service Manual, I also mentioned this possible omission to Stan Wohlfarth (editor & product coordinator, for VW-Audi manuals, at Robert Bentley Publishers), when I infomed him of other omissions, anomalies and errors, which I had discovered in a second-hand, Fourth Revised Edition copy of the manual, which I had acquired shortly before. I have yet to discover anyone in Great Britain, who is even aware, of these brackets originally existing and I have found no reference to them, in British VW parts retailers' lists or catalogues!

I had surmised, that the bracket might use one of the exhaust-silencer's trapezoidal-flange, M8 screw-studs and be bolted to one of the fan housing's four pre-threaded M8 holes, but had no information about the shape or dimensions of the bracket, which I would have had fabricated from stainless steel, for long-term durability. It had also since come to my notice, that the four pre-threaded M8 holes, were intended for mounting an air-conditioning compressor, which I hope to do one day, once I finally get back on the road, with the 1911 cc, VW 17/1800 Type 2 & 4 engined, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, Left-Hand, Exhaust Bracket Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Bracket Heat Exchanger Support Bus 72-79
there was no mention of such a bracket, in the 1968~79 VW Type 2, Robert Bentley Service Manual,

They are referred to as "support straps" in the Bentley. All in all a lack of specificity.
The alternator adjustment is not affected in the slightest by the rusting away of the bracket down at the right exchanger, the tension is soley against the fan housing.
Colin
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, Left-Hand, Exhaust Bracket Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
the tension is soley against the fan housing.
Colin

Seconded. The hole never lined up with my HE on the GWB (73) but the alternator wasn't the worse for it.

The only issue was the bracket could flex forward and back, which risks popping the belt if it flexes far enough. Never happened to me, but I could see the possibility.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, Left-Hand, Exhaust Bracket Reply with quote

I presume an HE is a heat exchanger, but what on earth is a GWB (73)!?!

If the hole in the alternator-adjustment bracket, did NOT align with the hole in the heat exchanger, then it sounds as though you have one of those ill-fitting heat exchangers, possibly from Dansk Autopart A/S, in Denmark, whose comprehensive contact details I have, for forwarding complaints, having researched them via the Danish Trade Legation in London, some years ago.

Secondly, mis-alignment with the hole, also means that your right-hand heat exchanger & exhaust silencer, wasn't being supported by the bracket.

There are other exhaust heat exchanger manufacturers, such as Bosal and Alvin Meritor, both of which are retailed in Great Britain.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, Left-Hand, Exhaust Bracket Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

GWB = Great White Bus
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a support bracket out of a metal strip I had in the shop when I noticed mine was broken.. Cut, drill, bolt up.. Easy.. After tightening it down, it even bent the ends like the original.. Cost me a few cents.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, Left-Hand, Exhaust Bracket Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

If the hole in the alternator-adjustment bracket, did NOT align with the hole in the heat exchanger, then it sounds as though you have one of those ill-fitting heat exchangers, possibly from Dansk Autopart A/S, in Denmark, whose comprehensive contact details I have, for forwarding complaints, having researched them via the Danish Trade Legation in London, some years ago.

You mean, you mean, you mean I had recourse ???
Colin
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, Left-Hand, Exhaust Bracket Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Secondly, mis-alignment with the hole, also means that your right-hand heat exchanger & exhaust silencer, wasn't being supported by the bracket.

There are other exhaust heat exchanger manufacturers, such as Bosal and Alvin Meritor, both of which are retailed in Great Britain.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Pretty late on this thread, but probably the reason that you never see a RH
HE bracket that fits on a 72-74 is because they are different on 72-74 + 79 and 75-78, just like the left side. IOW, the ALTERNATOR bracket is different from a fuel injected bus.
I agree, it would be nice for someone to tool up and make repros for all 4 corners in each style. (Admittedly, the rears are much more prone to be gone thant the fronts.)
Mine from my 1978 were shot in 1986 when I changed to the early style HE's. I live in the rust belt, though.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we now have a reproduction of the 72-74 and 79 alternator bracket available. these are being made in house in small quantities, if demand is strong we will outsource larger scale production. zero supply of this critical part used has made it impossible to keep our 72-74 exhaust conversion in stock. i have also had many people who have had theirs break or rust away. the last good used one i had came from karl, and i used it as a pattern to make the tooling for our reproduction. i must have had 10 people ask me for one, all the while i had to say "no" while i held onto the nearly perfect one karl sent. it was a good pattern, almost an NOS part, and was crucial to being able to make a good repro.

http://germansupply.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=17101
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott.....went to your link and read the ad.....

"germansupply.com exclusive! Alternator Bracket for Bus 72-74 and 79. This bracket supports not only the alternator but also the left Heat Exchanger. Often rusted at the bottom or cracked, this part has become very difficult to find good used, so germansupply.com is now reproducing it."

It will have a hard time supporting the left heater box..... Smile
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

thanks, good catch. Embarassed

fixed.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to hijack the topic, but i have an idea for potential reproduction.

howwabout the non-return flaps on the fan housings. don't look too complex. a simple stamping die would make them perfect. been trying to make my own recently with mixed results.

i really do need the smaller of the two flaps and pin. was able to get the larger one off of my recent parts bus. someone beat me to the other one. they had to have been in the know and took it off before I got to it. bastards!!

reproducing these would be fantastic. i will donate my one flap to someone to reproduce if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
northernbus77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove without one of these untill my F-pipe cracked Mad
Don't let it happen to you.
I made this out of a scrap chunck of angle iron

Maybe this will help someone running an aftermarket exhaust like this avoid the same issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: