Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 One-Year-Onlies...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highbeam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread but I've got a 61 Turkis that was turned into a Baja. It has the darker colour shifter, parking brake, and wheel. Headliner isn't original, but I do have some of what is likely original carpet and the original blue rubber mats. As the outside is already not stock it'll stay like that but inside I maple to remain quite stock. Someone butchered the dash a bit for a non work in CD player and installed newer seats but other than that the interior is as it was.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ancient Mariner"]
bluebus86 wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:
Ancient Mariner wrote:
Have any of you 1961 owners found an applicable Krylon or similar paint to match the one year only 023 (L468?) "Sand Stone" used on the steering column and brake lever?

Some auto paint places can color match it, if you can get a swatch or large enough piece to bring in, and then you can use a preval spray paint sprayer from home depot to touch up your parts. Preval sprayer are nice for custom matched paint for small stuff.

I did find a rattle can at ACE that is almost a perfect match for the 1961 only "Sand Stone". I used it for the turn lever, shift rod, brake lever and drink holder. The steering wheel is a NOS that had been sitting on a shelf for 53 years. Got lucky with that one! See the results below. This is my '61 Pear White Sedan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just wanted to buy the ACE paint, but there is no supplyer who want to sell it to Germany. As I searched for it via google, I came across following review to this product, Khaki gloss:

https://ace-hardware.pissedconsumer.com/changes-th...33299.html

Buyers beware! The articles dates 2018!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

I don’t know how different the colors were, but it very well could have been a batch thing. If you’re super concerned with accuracy, I would have it mixed for a preval sprayer.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

Nice thread! I just bought an early 61 here in Australia. Last owner 40 years. It has the 50/50 tail lights that I am told were specific to this market and Italy? https://picclick.co.uk/Vw-Beetle-Hella-Left-Rear-Light-Unit-50-50-282927430624.html

There are lots of obvious items and aspects to be corrected towards authenticity of course ...

jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The fuel pump changed happened in the 2nd month of the 61 model year, at VIN 3275700

So, chassis No. 3606**** was the last of this style pump?
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

Supposedly so!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

Mervo wrote:
Nice thread! I just bought an early 61 here in Australia. Last owner 40 years. It has the 50/50 tail lights that I am told were specific to this market and Italy? https://picclick.co.uk/Vw-Beetle-Hella-Left-Rear-Light-Unit-50-50-282927430624.html

There are lots of obvious items and aspects to be corrected towards authenticity of course ...

Wow! this one still keeps the last year headlight lenses with VW Symbol! Do they still have the Bosch Logo in the chrome ring?
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

Yes the original VW lens are there still but the chrome rings had been replaced. It still has all it's original glass windscreens and windows. Each country had its own radio fitments and here there were a few. I picked up for $20 a 1961 AWA radio, also with the VW logo, that was installed in the some of the VW 1200 series here. I had it checked over and an FM board added. Works perfectly.

A hassle has been to get the horn ring to work with its unusual column insulation, but all good now.
2004 Porsche Turbo
1960 VW beetle (Australian)
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to source the seal/rubber part of the 1961 only windshield washer jet? I want to use the original jet, and the one Wolfsburg West sells is a cheap replacement that has two little eyeballs for the jets with a plastic cover, so it can’t be used as a replacement seal for the original jet.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Has anyone been able to source the seal/rubber part of the 1961 only windshield washer jet? I want to use the original jet, and the one Wolfsburg West sells is a cheap replacement that has two little eyeballs for the jets with a plastic cover, so it can’t be used as a replacement seal for the original jet.

I was looking for that recently too. No luck.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

Do you mean these:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/265132218590

That was a quick search, these should be also available in the US.
Just have bought them, they are as the original ones and do work properly.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Do you mean these:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/265132218590

That was a quick search, these should be also available in the US.
Just have bought them, they are as the original ones and do work properly.

Have you taken one apart? I bought one that looks just like that from Wolfsburg West, and it is not like the originals. They will work I’m assuming, they’ll appear correct visually, but they’re chromed plastic, not chromed metal like the originals. Can you confirm whether these are plastic or metal?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

ok, had luck and found the original email from ebay from where I bought it:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/124848536002?hash=item1d118d79c2:g:T0YAAOSwbU9hE8E-

These are definately metal.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
ok, had luck and found the original email from ebay from where I bought it:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/124848536002?hash=item1d118d79c2:g:T0YAAOSwbU9hE8E-

These are definately metal.

Awesome, thank you!
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

1962-65 Porsche 356s use the same washer jet as '61 Bugs.

I believe there were two original suppliers for the jet; one had metal nozzles, the other had white plastic nozzles.

Stoddard and others have them for $27.50 each. It is likely the same one WW sells. The original seal and body are all one piece of rubber, with either metal or plastic jets pressed in and a stainless steel cover pressed over the top to keep the jets from popping out.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
1962-65 Porsche 356s use the same washer jet as '61 Bugs.

I believe there were two original suppliers for the jet; one had metal nozzles, the other had white plastic nozzles.

Stoddard and others have them for $27.50 each. It is likely the same one WW sells. The original seal and body are all one piece of rubber, with either metal or plastic jets pressed in and a stainless steel cover pressed over the top to keep the jets from popping out.

The original jet to my car is one piece, no cover.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

Ok, these on Ebay are not like this!

I owned 4 all original 1961 beetles, worked on three of them also taking the nozzle apart. Never seen this massive style you show us on the pictures. All of them have been a one-part rubber component with metal jets and metal covers.

I would buy two of the ones available with metal cover. One for now and one waiting on the shelve for later.
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

I am as regular on the EMPI Sportster page, you can see my posts and pictures there. I am new to this forum, I am hoping I will be welcome here.
It started some years ago when I saw a gutted 914 for bid, at the FD charity auction. I assume it was donated. I asked my cousin Lee about it. He didn’t know about it but told me about 2 bugs he had if I was interested. Of course, I was interested, but had no means, or space, or money, or time. Years went by and my wife suggested I look at them, and maybe acquire one or both for retirement projects. I calculated what they would cost to restore and looked at them in September of ’21. As I currently am finishing the work on my Bug-E, an EMPI Sportster, I thought selling that would cover some of the initial costs. So, I looked them over and decided to buy both.
The first one I brought home with the help of my friend Brian, was a blue (mostly rust) 1961. It turns out to be a bit special, in several ways. It is an early ’61, made in late ’60, but has some ’62 features like the gas gauge, but still has the reserve petcock too. Over the years Lee’s dad Bob had the engine replaced. The replacement is a 1961 engine but has the fresh air features. The original engine was included, complete but condition unknown. Bob drove this bug everywhere, on family trips, towed a boat to go fishing, and out to the field to work his wheat farm. I guess the original skinny tires were not good enough, so he had some 14” wheels made and mounted wider front and rear tires. The front tires rubbed, so he flared the front fenders nicely with vice grips. I have the 14” wheels, would like to do something with them, but 14” tires are hard to find now.
Here is where it gets interesting. After I brought the car home, I wanted to clean it before moving it into my shop. I pulled some debris out, some old gloves and the e-brake rubber cover. That’s strange, its blue! As I cleaned further, I found the mats and carpet were blue. The front seats were worn out from age, but the back was covered in the old plastic cover, they are a real light blue. The carpet in the back is blue also. I looked at what is left of the running board rubber and it is blue also. This is one of the 6-month only “monochromatic” blue cars, this one is pastel blue. Some of the original items are still in good shape like the floor mats and side panels. I have not found a source for the “ice blue” seat covers and headliner. I will do my best to preserve the original look, but I am thinking white cloth headliner and two-tone seats to match the side panels, white and “turquoise”. Maybe I will keep the front fender flares and make them look nice
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

Has anyone found a source for the ice blue seats? All of the usual suspects do not have this color. And I have not seen any car photos online that show the light blue seats. Has any one seen any?

Thanks Earl

1961 Pastel Blue
innocenti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 One-Year-Onlies... Reply with quote

EarlT wrote:
Has anyone found a source for the ice blue seats? All of the usual suspects do not have this color. And I have not seen any car photos online that show the light blue seats. Has any one seen any?

Thanks Earl

1961 Pastel Blue

Hi
I have RHD 61 ,Turkish in colour ,also has the Hydrate green steering wheel ,park brake ,column ( repainted Turkish ) PO . Interior has the ice blue seats ,some remnants of the blue mats and carpets .
I can forward pictures via what's app to somebody as I'm unable to add then to this forum via my old antiquated I pad .
Would help to show others if anyone wants to see the pics ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: