Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LowBugget.com - A.J. Simms - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: A.J.Sims
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: June 09, 2011
3fidi6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: lowbugget.... Reply with quote

I ordered a turbo kit from lowbugget for my 356 replica on Aug, 23, 2010. I was told by AJ they were really busy but he could have it done in 5-6 weeks. My car wasn't in CA for him to fit it to but he told me it's no problem, Vintage Speedsters is only 10 minutes away if he had any questions (they made the car). Time passed,.....no turbo. Winter came and went then finally I found my boxes on my porch this past March 17, 2011. March 18 they went back to AJ. Very sloppy welding, wrong header for my engine, missing parts of the exhaust, impossible fitment and I could not install it on my car. Another 7 weeks passed before I got the parts back and I'm still missing the carb intake manifold! Sent the entire set up back a second time because the exhaust off the turbo actually hits the waste gate and won't bolt together, and if that were the only problem it'd be easy for him to deal with. The other end of the pipe I cannot bolt to the turbo hits the header too, preventing it from coupling to the other muffler parts. No end in sight. No turbo in my car......AJ won't call back. $3800 missing from my account not counting the $450+ I paid for the time my unusable car was insured, another $300+ in shipping costs. Terrible service, low quality work, lies, etc. These are just the facts with my true opinions omitted. Caveat Emptor.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry I can't stick up for this shop. Reply with quote

Chuey wrote:
Hotrodvw wrote:
Funny thing is, AJ is a paying for classified ads. Everett won't can him for money reasons...........otherwise it would have happened already!!!!!

And that is a tragedy! At least it has been for me. I read AJ's add here on TheSamba and is sounded good. They did some work (all at their recommendation) on my forty horse engine (stock, except for the 1385cc pistons and cylinders they installed) and it has never run quietly since they did the work. When I call to ask about it, only the workers have talked to me. They told me that AJ doesn't want to talk to me because he is concentrating on jobs that will bring in money. They also said that since they didn't rebuild the engine completely, there is no warranty! I said that the work they did should be warrantied.

This is an engine that was a known quantity and I am not some hot headed or impolite type. I have, to this point, not talked to AJ since picking up the car. I live an hour away and it is hard for me to get up to his shop. As a matter of fact, when they said my car was ready, my wife took off the day from work to ferry me up to pick up my pride and joy. I paid AJ $1,835.00 cash and when I got in, the starter sounded like a threshing machine and the clutch was unusable! I couldn't drive it even a foot! He had told me that the clutch would have to break in. I got out of the car and gave him the key and told him that I have had VW's all my adult life and that I know what a clutch should feel like and that wasn't going to work. A week later, I picked up the car and the clutch is barely passable. The engine makes a noise like a diesel at normal driving rpms. Also, the oil pressure light comes on at idle after it is warmed up. AJ has not ever come to the phone when I've called asking about these problems. I have said that I wanted to ask AJ directly about the issues.

It is sad that Low Bugget is run by such an unmanly guy that he won't even come to the phone to talk to someone who had work done by his shop. It's a stock forty horse for goodness sake! I paid cash and now I'm not worth a minute on the phone. This is so long that I hesitate to tell how rudely he kept me on hold and went to lunch instead of picking up the phone after I had waited 14 minutes on hold.

I will say that I am disappointed in TheSamba. It is my responsibility to make my own decisions but there seems to be a bit of a "community" aspect to this site. To let businesses that treat their customers this way, populate this site is a reflection on the site and makes one wonder about the others.

In closing, I would like to say that this is the only negative review I've ever left for any business on the internet. Further, I am not one of those dudes who is unhappy with all the work I've had done. I have had good VW work done by Robert Morgan, Brad's Foreign Auto, FAT performance, Clyde Berg and others. As I said, I've had VWs since I was twenty years old and now I'm 61.

AJ Sims' shop is one to avoid!

Chuey

Here is the thread for chueys engine

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464574

No starter bushing and wrong rod bearings?? AJ must be busy hanging around Serrano, its obvious he is not busy with quality workmanship or quality control.

I dont think he will be able to recover from this. Watch out for him working under a new name soon if he isnt already.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
yamaducci wrote:
AJ told me 2 maybe 3 months to open the chambers up on my heads It has been 3.5 months so far and after about 2 months I started calling just to see where I was on the list. I keep getting the run around by whoever answers the phone telling me they will find out and call and I have never been called back after at least 10 calls in 6 weeks.
It's not the time as much as timing. I never know when to be prepared to put my engine together. Plus I have parts at another machine shop waiting on the heads to be done. If he told me a certain date and met that date after giving me a general 2-3 months quote; I would be fine with it. Since I should be close now, I think they should have an idea where I am on the list yet they have no clue where I am in the queue.
Had I not bent two spring compressors trying to get the heads dissassembled myself I would have been done. His quote was the same price as the more expensive compressor so I just went for it. Now it's just costing me more. I should have read all the feedback, DANG!
He seriously needs to hire a manager or be forced out of business the hard way.
AJ, you should not accept work you can't do in any reasonable amount of time! Or pay for the wasted shipping and return my CE Heads! Get a chalk board and put the customers name on it when the order arives and do them in that order. First in; First Out! At Least then, your Secretary would have a clue.

After my final phone conversation I now have the choice of AJ sending back my heads with no work completed or traveling from Maryland to California to pick them up myself. The saga continues....
I just wanted the work done and to be kept a little informed; that is all and not a lot to expect IMO.

So the Saga is over!! I flew from Maryland to California where I pulled up with my Race team and retrieved my cylinder heads with no work done to them. The box had a note on it "Waiting for shipping payment". He really expected me to pay shipping both ways on parts he now refused to do work on because he now sees his bad Rap here on the Samba. I have already talked to Steve Tims who was awesome by the way. He even gave me his cell number to call him on the holiday weekend if he needed to meet me somwhere in California to pick them up from me since I was headed to Baja Mexico; Now that is customer service!. So either they will go to him or I will just do them myself. I am so lucky to have been able to get my parts back from that Slacker.
AJ if you are that Busy with work Hire someone or you will shoot yourself in the foot as a business owner. It is obvious you have done that already.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt and you screwed it up! You are in the same catagory as Bernie Bergmann as far as I am concerned. I always give great Feedback when it is due; not this time.
EPIC FAIL!

My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job man!

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Update on my engine saga with Low Bugget: Reply with quote

Last Monday I went, in person, with my car, to see of AJ Sims would come out and hear the engine noise I was asking about. He had refused to come to the phone and had his employee tell me that nothing they did was guaranteed because they didn't split the case.

He listened to the engine and told me that he didn't know what it was. I asked him if it could be standard size rod bearings on a crank that was ground undersize? (They replaced the rod bearings, pistons and cylinders, transmission, starter, clutch and installed the drivetrain in the car.) AJ insisted that if that was the case it would not run. He insisted on that in a big way.

He told me that none of the work they did was guaranteed. He also interrupted every sentence I tried to say until I told him that I had let him finish everything he'd said and asked for the same courtesy. I can say that he was entirely focused on one thing and that is that nothing was guaranteed. I asked him what if it was something he did that caused the rattle and the low oil pressure? He insisted that it couldn't have been anything his shop had done.

Eventually, I insisted on being able to say something without being interrupted and he let me say what I wanted. I said that the way I felt we could handle this is that I would let him tear down the engine and if the symptoms were caused by the work they did, they should cover the repair and if it was something that was a result of them not splitting the case, I would naturally pay for the repair. He said they were over 6 weeks backed up with work and seemed to be very reluctant to agree to my suggestion. I left very frustrated.

On my one hour drive home, I decided that if the rattle couldn't be from too loose rod bearings (AJ had insisted it wouldn't run if it had the wrong rod bearings) then it may be the gland nut. I figured that the bearing may have been bad in the gland nut and it was the main shaft rattling. I took it to B&R Buggys in the town where I work, Oceanside and asked them to R&R the engine to replace the gland nut.

I got a call from B&R and they said they had the engine up on the stand to run it out of the car and it still had the noise. I authorized them to go into the engine to see if they could find the cause of the rattle. I told the engine man what operations had been done at Low Bugget and that I would appreciate him keeping track of what he did so that if the problem was a result of any of the work done, and not further inside the case, that we could be sure of who was responsible for the noise. He called me later and said he looked into the engine and found the problem.

He told me that the bearings were standard and the rod journals were ten under. That is exactly what I suspected was the problem and more pertinently, what I had asked AJ about. AJ had insisted that it wouldn't even run. Andy, who had torn down the engine told me that there were other problems that pointed to the other questions I had about the car. The reason the starter sounded bad is because there was no bushing in the transmission housing and the starter and flywheel had started to show damage from that. Further, the hole where the bushing was supposed to be was getting wallered out by the starter shaft.

There is something else that disappoints me about what happened as a result of choosing Low Bugget for my repair work. I don't know how much you may have read about my experience (more detail of it is on the Performance forum) so I'll say that Low Bugget said that my transaxle was suspect and that it should be replaced. They sold me a "rebuilt" transmission. When I had been under the car to remove my exhaust system I noticed that the front end of the transaxle was smeared with sealant (it looked hokey and as if it was covering up something). I asked the young man at Low Bugget who did the work about that and he said "Oh, that's something I do to all the transaxles I install". "I seal them up with sealer so they don't leak." I asked "On the outside"? He said "Yes".

Turns out that the nose cone of the "rebuilt" transaxle sold to me was cracked.

To recap what was done wrong at AJ Simpson's shop:
1. wrong size rod bearings used
2. starter installed without proper (or any) bushing
3. nose cone on "rebuilt" transaxle was cracked
4. in place of the proper metal fuel line, rubber fuel line was used where it goes through fire wall tin.

What did the shop do that was not problematic? The pistons and cylinders were OK evidently.

What was the damage or potential damage done by the wrongly done work? This correlates to the above list.

1. engine would have failed in a very short time
2. flywheel, starter, transmission housing all would have failed in a short time. Starter never worked well since Low Bugget worked on it.
3. cracked housing parts are not indicative of a properly rebuilt transaxle. Would have resulted in a leak and possible failure
4. responsible mechanics use the same metal fuel line with a grommet as the factory did so car does not catch on fire.

What has the owner of Low Bugget, AJ Sims done when asked to help diagnose the problems that came up after work was done at his shop?

1. He refused to come to the phone to discuss this with me. A question that would come up in my mind when this is said is "was I polite on the phone"? Yes, I have always been polite and never raised my voice. In fact, AJs employee who seems like a very nice young man, offered to come down to where I live to help me with the problem on a day off. It may seem that I would be upset with the employee who did the work, as so much of it came out wrong but for that, I blame AJ, as he should make sure the work is done correctly and provide guidance to his employees. (The obvious question is, can he provide guidance when he does not understand engines well enough to know they will run with too loose rod bearings?) But my feelings of respect for the employee are eroded by his lying to me about the nose cone and in general, covering up for AJ.

2. AJ insisted that his shop could not have made a mistake. It is by that mindset and his insistence that none of the work was guaranteed that he refused to right any mistakes they may have made. For that reason, I had to seek out corrective work at another shop.

3. After the diagnosis was made, I called to let the shop know what had transpired. That was before B&R told me about the transmission having a crack. I was told AJ was with a customer so I'd have to leave a message with the lady who answered the phone. I told her what had had been learned in the teardown. I called back after another discussion with B&R and talked to AJ. He insisted (still!) that the engine wouldn't run with too loose rod bearings. Funny thing is when I asked here on The Samba, the first response made was that it could be wrong size rod bearings. AJ Sims...engine builder? I don't get it.

I will submit the bill to Low Bugget. I suspect I'll end up in small claims court.

What made me choose Low Bugget to do my work? It was the ad here on The Samba. Perhaps AJ is better at advertising than he is at working on VWs.

Chuey
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Update on my engine saga with Low Bugget: Reply with quote

Chuey wrote:
What made me choose Low Bugget to do my work? It was the ad here on The Samba. Perhaps AJ is better at advertising than he is at working on VWs.

Chuey

Enough is Enough....Everett, He should be banned already!
No offense Everett, But you emailing AJ Sims will not rectify his bad business practices that stem from directly advertising here. He is like a Chinese transparent Distributor cap of a business. You have the power to do somthing for our community.
Please exercise that power.
Thank you
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett has somewhat limited internet access since he's at the VW Classic weekend. I'll discuss this thread with him as soon as I get a chance.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry I can't stick up for this shop. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I sent this seller an email in regards to the 2 recent complaints I see on this page. Thank you for posting your story and for providing details.

I just got off the phone with Everett. In his words: "due to the seller's lack of response to my email on May 18th, 2011, he is banned until he can resolve his customer complaints."

If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jen and Everett! It doesn't reflect well on the Samba with vendors like AJ. Sorry, but it's true. Hopefully he'll make things right with his customers.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gears might grind slowly but they do grind to a resolution.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samba Gods have spoken!
Thank you. I really hope this helps reduce many issue our community is having. One less vendor to suck us dry.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
Thank you. I really hope this helps reduce many issue our community is having. One less vendor to suck us dry.

Just because he's banned here doesn't mean anything will change.

After all, GEX is still in business.

There are many other outlets for him to advertise.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
yamaducci wrote:

Just because he's banned here doesn't mean anything will change.

After all, GEX is still in business.

There are many other outlets for him to advertise.

True, Yet it does increase the Credibility of the Samba by identifying a problem and doing something about it. Thanks again for doing the right thing here.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
True, Yet it does increase the Credibility of the Samba by identifying a problem and doing something about it.

Agreed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci:
In reading this thread, it sounds like your problem is "resolved"?

If the seller owes you a refund for money on work he didn't perform because you had to repo your parts in person, please post again and specify the details and the amount(s).

In reading the past couple pages, I see:
1. Your complaint
2. Chuey - who it appears may have to go to small claims court.
3. 3fidi6 - Not clear of the exact amount but clear he is owed money and/or parts.
4. didi wildhaber - owed money and/or parts

Just wanted to post up what I can see are the current issues that need to be resolved so I can direct him to this post/thread if he contacts me about the ban.

For reference, when I post that I emailed someone to ask them to resolve an outstanding issue (usually just one problem), I am not always on top of making sure they respond to me. I rely on the people with complaints to contact me again to say "you emailed him but he still hasn't contacted me or done anything". I fully admit this is not the best method but in most cases it works very well. Most people are concerned about their reputation and take an email from me seriously. Smile There has been a warning about buying from this seller in the first post of the thread since 2010 when a lot of the "not responding" posts started. Obviously some of your complaints pre-date that addition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Update: AJ has lost it. Reply with quote

I picked up my car after having it repaired by B&R Buggies. It works super nicely. I'm very happy with it at this point. There's a lot of detail in my previous posts so I'll not go into anything that has happened in the past. This is an update.

Monday is my day off so today I had a chance to go to Orange to try to get Low Bugget to reimburse me for the repairs to the work they did. I stopped by B&R to pick up the related parts that had been replaced. They told me some more details about the engine (they checked the compression ratio, something AJ told me wasn't important when changing to a larger bore on a 40hp engine) They showed me the cracked nose cone from the "rebuilt" transaxle. Also, they said that they had taken a picture of it before they started working on it. (It was covered in sealant and painted over with flat black paint).

My goal for today was to go to Low Bugget and present AJ with the bill for the work that was needed to correct what his shop did and go home with a check for that work. I took the old parts for two reasons. If AJ wanted to see them to verify that the problems were what I said they were, he could do that. Also, if he wrote me a check I'd have left the parts with him as some are reusable.

When I got to Low Bugget, AJ was in the front part of his shop. He asked how he could help me and I gave him the bill and asked him to pay it. Without looking at it he put it aside. I picked it up. It is the only copy I have. He then said that he'd have liked the opportunity to fix my car. I told him that he had been insistent that nothing he did was guaranteed so to me that means he isn't willing to fix his mistakes. (Considering that the nose cone was deceptively covered up with sealer, slathered on it to the point that it looked like it had been wrapped with a cloth, some of what happened could not be construed as mistakes but indeed, were intentional.

I told AJ that I intended to take this case to the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) for resolution. I then mentioned the nose cone and AJ implied that it was broken by the other shop. I told him that they had pictures of the nose cone to show what it looked like before they worked on it. At that point, AJ started to cuss at me and raised his voice and told me that he ought to throw me out of his shop. At that point, I kept trying to reason with him and he yelled at me to leave his shop and that he ought to throw me out. Yes, he repeated that. So I headed for the door. As I walked toward the door, he evidently came after me because when I got outside, I turned around to restate that I was planning to take this to the BAR. As I turned around, he lunged at me, hitting me in the chest and sent me sprawling. My clip board, which was under my arm, and my key, which was in my hand, went flying. As I hit the pavement, my arm got a cut and my pants got a hole.

I called the police and they discouraged me from having him arrested since there were no witnesses.

Through all this, I have been polite and have not raised my voice or used rude language. That is not because I'm so refined, but so that I didn't give AJ a reason to not cooperate and further, so as not to do anything that could spoil my chances of being reimbursed.

This has been the worst experience I have ever had with any business.

Pushing me after I had complied by leaving his shop is the action of a desperate man. I feel sorry for AJ but I still want him to pay me back for the work his shop did wrong.

Chuey
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. Huge props for keeping your composure. huge.
AJ would be in the hospital now if i were in your shoes.
I hope you get all your money back and then some. This disgusts me that shops like this are allowed to stay open and take peoples money.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My update is that I paid for shipping of my heads from Maryland to California, waited about 4 months now with no work being done, getting the run around on the phone by the "Secretary" who never knows anything much less Work Flow, and then being asked to pay for return shipping after he now refused to do work on my heads.
I flew out to California to retrieve my parts in person and also chose to keep my composure over the situation. Now they have been shipped to Steve Tims and Greg Tims in Riversides (another shipping charge), now have to wait again for work to be done then shipping back (another shipping charge). So, part of Winter, Spring and Summer without my car. Has been a total loss of use as well.
All this to gain a few cc's in my chambers. 5 Months and hundreds of Dollars later I will get what I need since I found a real reputable shop.
Since I took the issues into my own hands I guess you could call it resolved. AJ Sims Certainly did not resolve anything. I should have tought him more of a lesson while I was there but chose to be the Better Man.

yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett,
When will his Ads be Removed?
Thank you

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
Everett,
When will his Ads be Removed?
Thank you

Have you looked?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=A.J.Sims

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 27

Jump to: