Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated. I used this gun and that crappy rustoleum on the side covers on The Guac. Not bad! We'll see how durable it is now...
Nessal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, how loud are turbine sprayers? My compressor waits up my whole neighborhood.

Btw nice job. Looks good to me! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nessal wrote:
Hey, how loud are turbine sprayers? My compressor waits up my whole neighborhood.

Btw nice job. Looks good to me! Very Happy

This one is dead quiet. Sounds like an expensive vacuum cleaner.
keg0900
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good man i just painted mine with the wagner but with satin paint it came out good

where can i get a roof rack like yours i really want one bad??
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keg0900 wrote:

where can i get a roof rack like yours i really want one bad??

I have no idea. It came with the Guac. Smile
Frankenbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've tried the 'brush on' method and it's worked ok. I'm looking at just slapping a cheap coat on my daily and that's a daunting task with the brushing. I figure that if I still do the prep work and finishing work combined with a good quality turbine sprayer it should end up being a passable job.

http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/webapp/wcs/stores/...y_rn=10593

Looks to be the best bang for the buck. Plus I can paint the living room with it...after the bug.

Tram wrote:
That explains it. Jihad supplies ain't cheap! Very Happy

)'(
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keg0900
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankenbeetle wrote:
Well, I've tried the 'brush on' method and it's worked ok. I'm looking at just slapping a cheap coat on my daily and that's a daunting task with the brushing. I figure that if I still do the prep work and finishing work combined with a good quality turbine sprayer it should end up being a passable job.

http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/webapp/wcs/stores/...y_rn=10593

Looks to be the best bang for the buck. Plus I can paint the living room with it...after the bug.

you should try the wagner hvlp its just under a hundred bucks and i just did my daily driver with it and it worked good. Smile
gerico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. I'm a beginner at painting so be gentle. Would a Sharpe Cobalt HVLP be easier to use/learn with than a convential gravity feed gun?
Jason at VW Paradise
Bill at Shear Speed
Kevin at KCR trans
itlives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are easy to use but bear in mind that you are putting more paint down with less overspray. That means if you are used to conventional sprayers , you will probably get a few runs until you get used to how much paint is being laid down.
Practise on an old fender or something till you get the feel for it.
gerico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Jason at VW Paradise
Bill at Shear Speed
Kevin at KCR trans
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you buy these at besides online? I'm looking into tools to start the bodywork on my bus and this might be my best bet at this time.
http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?

I would love to have a compressor and a HVLP spray gun but I have no garage to put all kinds of tools in and don't want them to get ruined in my basement as it is dirt and pretty moist down there. Mad
Geno Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carmangary wrote:

Why?
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those looking for a range of tools and spray equiptment ranging from inexpesive up then look up www.medcotool.com. they have quite an assortment of tools not only for body/paint but mechanical, electrical etc.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
carmangary wrote:

Why?

Because of the crap equipment everyone is advocating the use of.
Just do it right, quit trying to reinvent the wheel!
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
DurocShark wrote:
carmangary wrote:

Why?

Just do it right, quit trying to reinvent the wheel!

But if it works, who cares?
Evil Box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just do it right, quit trying to reinvent the wheel! - Major Woody

I hate to tell you this but, you don't know what you're talking about...
IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE what you use to spray your car with so long as it atomizes the paint the way it's meant to be atomized and applied. I've used quite a few HVLP sprayers, and I've shot quite a few late model cars and have even shot a 1967 Corvette Convertible (Marina Blue, GM Code 976) for a VERY PARTICULAR customer with a turbine sprayer. I used a turbine sprayer because... listen very closely now Major... TURBINE SPRAYERS ARE BETTER THAN COMPRESSOR-BASED SYSTEMS! Oldtimer that you are, you will not be able to accept that, but it's TRUE.

I will NEVER go back to spraying cars with a compressor again. Compressors are a pain in the ass. They impart oil and water to the air supplied. Sure, you can install all kinds of water/oil traps or invest in an expensive dissecant system to try and compensate for it but in the end guess what... YOU'LL NEVER MATCH THE PURITY OF THE AIR PROVIDED BY A SIMPLE TURBINE SPRAYER! NOT EVER!

I'm 44 years old. I've been spraying cars since I was 18. I'm not even going to argue the point with you because I KNOW what I'm talking about. If you go out and buy a compressor and oil/water traps and an HVLP gun designed to work with them YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY! Someone will come along with a cheap $300 dollar HVLP sprayer and kick your ass with it. One more thing to remember... An HVLP sprayer CAN SPRAY FOREVER. You never have to wait for the compressor to "catch up". It provides constant pressure for as long as you're spraying. Anyone who would choose the old way over the new HVLP sprayer way is just asking for trouble, and just being stubborn in the face of obvious facts.

I have no connection to Campbell Hausfeld whatsoever but I've used the HV2500 in the past and have gotten good results with it. They have several newer models now. Here's a link... http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/webapp/wcs/stores/...gory=10481

P.S.) Before any more of you naysayers chime in with your comments about "the RIGHT way" I suggest you try one of these machines. First you'll laugh your ass off, then you'll buy one and never look back.

Good luck,

E.B.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so everybody is clear, I doubt Evil Box is suggesting everybody buy the $40 Harbor Freight one I have. He's talking about the superior ones available for a bit more money.

But even $300 is a bargain compared to a proper compressor, gun, and (as Evil Box mentioned) filters, traps, desiccants, etc.

I'm happy as can be with my little piece of crap. Cree on this board has one of the nicer guns and I've seen the work he's done with it. In fact, that's why I decided to pick up the cheapie one I have. And it works for the piece work I need it to do. I'll probably paint my Volvo with it too once I get a new hood and fender for it.
mkriley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two kinds of hvlp guns turbine and compressor based conversion gun. the ONE big advantage of the turbine is the compessed air gets warmer so the paint is warmed out where as the conversion gun cools the paint because of the expanding air. Which one do you think lays out better?
15years painting yachts
mike
Evil Box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mkriley,

I've never used one that actually cools the air. I'm not sure how they would accomplish that without imparting water vapor into the mix.

One of the things you have to account for when using an HVLP turbine is the heat produced by the turbine itself. As a demonstration, turn on your vacuum cleaner at home and place your hand over the exhaust. The air is pretty warm isn't it? Well these HVLP turbine sprayers actually use the same motor as a vacuum cleaner. That's why they sound like a vacuum cleaner when you start them up. The warm air produced is good and bad. It's good because it evaporates all the water vapor out of the air (which has historically been a major headache for painters). But it also tends to evaporate the reducer/thinner in your paint too, which isn't good because you need the reducer to help atomize the paint properly. So what do you do? The answer is simple... you've got to reduce your paint at least 10 percent more than the instructions on the paint can tell you to. This accounts for the increased evaporation rate due to the warm air provided by the turbine motor. And that's about it, other than that it's exactly the same as spraying paint in the conventional HVLP way.

I hope this helps. I only provide this information because I want to help people do a better job on their VW's. These cars are now part of history, and any way that we can help to restore and preserve them in a better way is good for everyone in involved in the hobby.

E.B.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: