Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle Switch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravedigger7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Throttle Switch Reply with quote

Hoiw easy is to change the throttle switch? and what kind of tools would I need? Thanks LEW
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Switch Reply with quote

gravedigger7 wrote:
Hoiw easy is to change the throttle switch?

Real.
gravedigger7 wrote:
and what kind of tools would I need?

Good ones.

Bacially, you take the throttle body off and unscrew the switch assembly. You need screw drivers and torx bits, typically. Not a big deal.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you'll have it out, check the TB for wear by holding it up to the light. If there's light visible all around the butterfly, see my last post here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173913

I spell out how I tightened up my worn TB, and got really rock solid idle back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Since you'll have it out, check the TB for wear by holding it up to the light. If there's light visible all around the butterfly, see my last post here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173913

I spell out how I tightened up my worn TB, and got really rock solid idle back.

That deserved adding to the stickies, so I did!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this Saturday. It is really easy. It took less than an hour. The difference in how my van runs is literally night and day. Things you will need:

- Throttle switch, be sure to also get a new plastic actuator cam and retaining clip. I noticed two versions of the cam and switch. They appear to be non-interchangeable.

- Carb cleaner

- 10mm socket to remove the switch's wire harness from the intake and to loosen the throttle cable.

- Needle nose pliers to remove throttle body spring from the intake

- Phillips screwdriver to remove throttle body (a short one works well)

- 3mm? allen wrench (get an entire set, I'm guessing at the exact size)

- Small flat screwdriver to remove the retaining clip on the little plastic cam.

- Feeler gages

- Throttle body to intake gasket (optional)

- Bentley manual

The process is simple. Remove the throttle body, remove the allen screw that holds the switch plate in place, clean and inspect everything, install the new switch and cam, and re-install the throttle body. To adjust the switch, place a .004" feeler gage in the throttle body stop. Loosen the left allen screw and turn the right screw until you have continuity at the connector. Using an ohm meter with a beep will help a lot. Tighten the left screw and remove the feeler gage. Open and close the throttle body to verify the switch is operating properly. Install various thickness gages to determine exactly what clearance causes the switch to close. It is very critical to get the gap exactly right. The specs are in the Bentley. I think it is .003"-.005". If it is too wide, the van will not run properly when you slighty press the accelerator pedal. If the switch does not close, the van won't idle well at all. Also chech that the switch works at wide open throttle. Make sure you don't just check this be manually opening the throttle body. Press the accelerator pedal. If the cable is too slack, it may not be opening all the way.

Good luck!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For adjusting the TB switch on the car, I find the long 3mm CO adjusting tool used on other VWs to be quite useful, too.

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r390,

Cool. I think lotsa folks might want to try this. It's well worth the trouble when you see how well your rig starts and idles afterward. Thanks for putting it where they might read it.

Wish my dig. camera wasn't broken, I'd post some pics of the procedure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

I update the stickies from time to time.

All you need is 640x480 pictures, so any cheap camera will do. A cheap $10-$15 one or your cell phone one, all are good enough. In fact, I figgered out the other day, how to Blue Tooth pictures out of my cell phone and into my PDA. Then sync out the pictures out of the PDA to the computer. Then you can post. I was happy as I did not want to buy yet another cable and get another program to read files in/out of my phone.

Good luck,
Walt...

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Bluetooth Moto v710 camera phone that Verizon limited the firmware on so you can't Bluetooth files in and out of the phone. There are some hacks that get around this but I'm not a computer person mostly and don't feel like messing with it. I haven't tried emailing myself a photo thru Verizon's service, which is what they've deliberately forced you to do, but it's a possibility.

Almost bought a new camera so I could document my engine rebuild, but I couldn't stomach going thru all the silly useless features to make a decision, so I walked out of the store. I'm a professional cinematographer so digital photography to me is mostly a joke, until you spend mega-g$'s on a camera. I'm just not that into it.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got pics of the underside of the throttle body and switch assembly. I'll post them later tonight.
gravedigger7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks thanks for all the advice i'm not that mechanically inclined but i'm starting to take adventures!! So far the biggest job I did was change the radiator. And boy what a difference it made!! Thanks again and if I ask stupid questions its that its all a adventure to me!!!!

LEW
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the retaining clip holding the plastic switch actuating cam in place at the top of the picture. Remove that and the cam by prying under them with a screwdriver. The clip will need to be replaced afterwards. The retaining screw is at the bottom. The head is obviously on the reverse side.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife,

I can't imagine that Cingular would not cripple my Moto RAVR the same way, though. Emmm.....

As you can imagine almost any picture looks OK on the computer. Don't get too picky, you will NEVER get anything that way. I still have a cloest full of Olympus OM stuff. Has not been used in years now. I find that for most auto documenting that you do not need much of a camera at all, especially if you are going to post it on the web. The little cameras do so much post processing that it looks OK most of the time. No big deal. Just get some camera before you have your project done and lament the fact you have no photographic proof at all.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: