Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suitable hose for brake fluid use
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Suitable hose for brake fluid use Reply with quote

after searching here and elsewhere im coming up empty on a replacement for a hose to connect the upper and lower brake fluid reservoirs (on my 68 ).

all ive found some hydraulic hose at McMaster, but im wondering if its pliable/flexible enough to be able to be clamped onto the reservoirs and not leak.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hydraulic-fluid-hose/=gc1oyv

Last edited by westy66 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used chemical resistant PVC tubing like this

http://www.graylineinc.com/tubing-materials/polyurethane.html

it was pretty cheap at our local agriculture supply house. it has been on my 70 single cab since 09 with no ill effect

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Hit up Euclid and see if the blue hose for a bug will fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7mm blue brake hose (make sure that is the size you need) is part number N203501
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7mm bug stuff is much too small. This is closer to 3/8 or 7/16.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used vinyl aquarium tubing for bleeding the brakes and there seems to have been no deterioration when it it has been left wet for several years. but ...

And related questions:
I would like to purchase a wash bottle to fill my upper brake fluid reservoir.

I found this on the Grainger Supply website. This wash bottle may be suitable, but is the material resistant to brake fluid? And, where can I buy only one locally.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
I have used vinyl aquarium tubing for bleeding the brakes and there seems to have been no deterioration when it it has been left wet for several years. but ...

And related questions:
I would like to purchase a wash bottle to fill my upper brake fluid reservoir.

I found this on the Grainger Supply website. This wash bottle may be suitable, but is the material resistant to brake fluid? And, where can I buy only one locally.

Aloha
tp

Brake fluid should be kept in a solid sealed container at all times because it is designed to pull moisture into itself. That means when it is exposed to air it pulls water from the air. If you use a fill bottle like that you will have to empty it each time you use it back into a sealed bottle. Many professional shops will even tape the necks of their sealed brake fluid bottles once they have been opened to slow the process. Even Castrol LMA (low moisture absorbsion) fluid will eventually pull enough moisture from the air to allow rust.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True what you say SGKent. I checked Prestone website for synthetic brake fluid and nothing about moisture absorbing characteristics. I will heed your advice about storage.

In the meantime I'll still be looking to buy a wash bottle for filling the top reservoir.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filling issue has me considering relocating the reservoir to behind the seat. I'm dumping my cracked 68 only one for the $19 Wolfsburg special

westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever find a solution to this? I'm in the exact same boat. I would like to run a rubber line from the upper to lower reservoir in order to replace the metal line on my 68. I nicked the metal line with the grinder when cutting out the floor and now it needs replaced. The biggest I saw online doing a quick search was 7mm, but I know that will be too small. Is the chemical resistant PVS tubing the best answer?
'65 Bug
'63 Bug

neverdnf on Instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeters wrote:
Anyone ever find a solution to this? I'm in the exact same boat. I would like to run a rubber line from the upper to lower reservoir in order to replace the metal line on my 68. I nicked the metal line with the grinder when cutting out the floor and now it needs replaced. The biggest I saw online doing a quick search was 7mm, but I know that will be too small. Is the chemical resistant PVS tubing the best answer?

This topic comes up quite a bit in threads on adding power brakes to 68-70 buses. Aeromech has a good tutorial with a nice debate afterwards. I can't copy the link from my phone here, sorry, and happy searching. He also contacted Gates and found a hose from their barricade line, I believe, that was certified brake fluid resistant.

There is also a thread on converting to a dual-reservoir style setup from a late beetle. You would use blue rubber VW brake fluid hose to make short connections to metal brake lines that you bend through the bus, and then use more blue VW brake fluid hose to make connections to the nipples on the master cylinder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="asiab3"]
jpeters wrote:
Anyone ever find a solution to this? I'm in the exact same boat. I would like to run a rubber line from the upper to lower reservoir in order to replace the metal line on my 68. I nicked the metal line with the grinder when cutting out the floor and now it needs replaced. The biggest I saw online doing a quick search was 7mm, but I know that will be too small. Is the chemical resistant PVS tubing the best

There is also a thread on converting to a dual-reservoir style setup from a late beetle. You would use blue rubber VW brake fluid hose to make short connections to metal brake lines that you bend through the bus, and then use more blue VW brake fluid hose to make connections to the nipples on the master cylinder.

This is what I did I relocated the reservoir under the drivers seat using brake line and blue beetle hose two years later hasn't leaked a drop.
jpeters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread on the same topic they said that this EPDM tubing would work.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9776t11/=qafox5

Anyone have any experience with it? Seems like it should work. I would relocate the reservoir, but I don't plan on adding power brakes anytime soon. There won't be any pressure involved, so it seems like it should work.
'65 Bug
'63 Bug

neverdnf on Instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeters wrote:
In another thread on the same topic they said that this EPDM tubing would work.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9776t11/=qafox5

Anyone have any experience with it? Seems like it should work. I would relocate the reservoir, but I don't plan on adding power brakes anytime soon. There won't be any pressure involved, so it seems like it should work.

It says it works with Ethylene Glycol, however, the way its worded makes me think it wouldnt be suitable for a brake system. FWIW I didnt relocate mine because I added power brakes, I relocated it due to lack of quality available parts for a 69.
Casey Ryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 71 and just solved this problem.

Gates makes a DOT certified Vacuum hose that will withstand brake fluid. In the 71 it's a 15/32 inner diameter hose. You can search for "Gates 27233 Power Brake Vacuum Hose" and get it at Carquest or O'Reilly. It fits perfectly on the 71 reservoir pictured earlier in the thread.

If that's too big, there's also a smaller diameter hose 11/32 if you search "Gates 27232 Power Brake Vacuum Hose".

I was able to get it at carquest same day for about $10 for 3ft.

It has a larger outer diameter than the original so I had to enlarge the holes with a step-bit.

I took a bunch of pics and posted them here:
http://www.vwbusblog.com/photos?album=71BusBrakeFluidReservoir

Aeromech is the one that found this hose, but I can't find the thread that he said it in.

Casey

Blog: www.facebook.com/VWBusBlog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Suitable hose for brake fluid use Reply with quote

I posted that in like 2014 and have used the gates hose several times. I just recently got some feedback that the gates hose had swelled. He said he thought that brake fluid had gotten into the sidewall somehow. I trust the guy who said this so I’m passing along this info. I’m looking for a good substitute but doubt Tygon tubing would work just because it’s so easy to find I figure that if it was the solution, I would already be using it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Suitable hose for brake fluid use Reply with quote

Look.....start learning the rules about about materials! Wink

The ONLY "RUBBER" that works well with brake fluid is EPDM. Its what all of the inner seals are made of in the brake system....and the windshield and window gaskets (because of its great UV resistance).

The most bad ass rubber in the world against solvents and gasoline.....rubbers like "VITON"....fluoroelastomers.......die an ugly and tragic death with brake fluid. So don't use them.

Likewise.....EPDM and earlier EPR (used with 1950's and earlier mineral based brake fluid).....die an ugly death when exposed to SOLVENTS and VOC's like gasoline.

Yes....as Skills noted....you "can" get away with a basic "PVC"...vinyl based.....if you like the look and strength. It WILL harden up over time but will not dissolve or melt.

You CAN also use pure silicone rubber. Its has no issues with brake fluids...but is expensive, harder to find and tears very easily. Its just not the right stuff....but will work.

EPDM rubber tubing is not hard to find .McMaster Carr and many rubber/hose companies have miles of it. Just search for it.....ask for it.

EPDM.....now you now what it is. Ray
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Suitable hose for brake fluid use Reply with quote

Send a link Ray and I’ll let you off the hook
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Suitable hose for brake fluid use Reply with quote

I use Tygon for brake bleeding amd with just that short exposure I have to clip the end off the next time I bleed.

For constant contact, EDPM hose only.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: