Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help - late transmission into '57 Oval
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targetinspect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my 56 pan with a type 2 nose cone hockey stick combo, Fits like a glove... AZ transaxle built mine, $900 bucks...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by targetinspect on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. I'm just wondering if there is a difference between a 211-301-205"E" nosecone and a 201-301-205"H" nosecone. Hopefully "H" is just a later version of "H" and they're the same thing and either will work for this application. Unless someone can definitively answer this question, I guess I'm going to find out!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the currently available bus nosecone. The main difference is that it has a threaded hole for a backup light switch. You will need the copper gasket and either the plug or a backup light switch. The switch is actually cheaper than the plug.

You will also need the bus rubber mount.

Wolfsburg West sells them as well as other places.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211301205H

Here are all of the part numbers other than the backup light switch related parts.

splitjunkie wrote:
there is a way to correct it.

You will need to get the parts that Bill stated:

"transporter shifter housing(nose cone)211-301-205H shift fork(hockey stick) 113-311-541 and front trans mount 211-301-265A the hockey stick needs indent for coupler set screw drilled 180 degrees from where it is since the original one will be on bottom for bus and beetle needs to be on top. you also have to pound clearance for nose cone to body clearance"

you will need to pull the engine and trans and remove the nose cone, hockey stick and mount and replace with the parts above.

Pick up a transmission gasket set while you are at it because you will need it to install the new nose cone.

Chris

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
That is the currently available bus nosecone. The main difference is that it has a threaded hole for a backup light switch. You will need the copper gasket and either the plug or a backup light switch. The switch is actually cheaper than the plug.

You will also need the bus rubber mount.

Wolfsburg West sells them as well as other places.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211301205H

Here are all of the part numbers other than the backup light switch related parts.

splitjunkie wrote:

"transporter shifter housing(nose cone)211-301-205H shift fork(hockey stick) 113-311-541 and front trans mount 211-301-265A the hockey stick needs indent for coupler set screw drilled 180 degrees from where it is since the original one will be on bottom for bus and beetle needs to be on top. you also have to pound clearance for nose cone to body clearance"

you will need to pull the engine and trans and remove the nose cone, hockey stick and mount and replace with the parts above.

Pick up a transmission gasket set while you are at it because you will need it to install the new nose cone.

Chris

Yes, thank you for all that info.I got all the parts you mentioned. I was waiting for a local guy to sell me a stock split case, but he's got too much going on in his life right now so I went back to the '61 model year tranny I had.

It was just that I'm using the 211 301 205"E" nosecone, rather than the "H" nosecone. I searched and searched, but couldn't find a distinction. I searched one of the British sites and they had a thread saying the "E" and the "H" were essentially the same with the "H" being a later version, but still the same unit. I guess I'll find out.

Got it all put together today with new boots. When I get some time I'll get the bus mount in and get this baby in.
spooky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooky wrote:
How did you get on? Very Happy

Check out the bottom of page 3 and pages 4 and 5 of the link below from the LEAKOIL site for pictures of the install.

http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2046&start=20
Callook59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which nose cone to pan seal are you guys using? The 61+ seal or the 60 and earlier seal?

56 Oval Window 2175 turbo
56 Euro Karmann Ghia
62 Double Cab
70 Bug convertible (my first car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this one http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111301289B but if memory serves me it wasn't an exact fit on the pan. I didn't try try the old round one, but maybe I should have.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you buy the solid mount adapter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Where do you buy the solid mount adapter?

If this Q is for me I don't have a solid mount adapter. At least I don't think I do. Maybe the Q is for someone else. Everything I bought as from Wolfsburg West. So if you see something in the pics it's from them. I removed a "hack" job that had two pieces of metal used as spacers beteen the old nosecone and the mounting point on the pan. Again, you can see some of my work on the LEAKOIL site. http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2046&start=30
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

"transporter shifter housing(nose cone)211-301-205H shift fork(hockey stick) 113-311-541 and front trans mount 211-301-265A the hockey stick needs indnt for coupler set screw drilled 180 degrees from where it is since the original one will be on bottom for bus and beetle needs to be on top. you also have to pound clearence for nose cone to body clerance"

the other option is to buy the later model mount plate and later model mount and weld it in.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701173c

With this you will not need to change the nosecone and hockey stick but you will need to weld in the new mount plate. You need to be very careful to align everything so everything will line up. I did this in a '60 bug and it worked well but if you are not good with a welder go with the bus parts as no welding is required.

Chris

I want to use the weld in adapter.

Are there measurements on how to loacate it. I'd like to avoid bolting everything to it, sliding the trans in, and the tac welding it before a full weld but maybe that is the only way to do it.
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to awaken a dead topic, but does anyone know if I can use the '68 type 3 rear end I got for my bus in my '54 Bug instead? It seems like I'd get the upgrade of wider drums and a newer trans, but a lot of the parts descriptions of nose cones say they're used to fit 61-67 transmissions into non-syncro cars.

Why not a '68 type 3?
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (sold)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davetaylor wrote:
, but a lot of the parts descriptions of nose cones say they're used to fit 61-67 transmissions into non-syncro cars.

Either it was poorly described, or you aren't understanding.
The 60-67 Bus nose cone and hockey stick is needed to fit any 1961 to 2003 Type 1 or Type 3 gearbox into an oval.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. I was referring partly to the WW description in the link within this thread:

"GEARSHIFT HOUSING, nose cone, use this to fit a 1961-1967 full syncromesh transmission into a 1960 and earlier Bug. 113 311 541 hockey stick is also required"

I guess not every single possibility can be mentioned in descriptions but I'm glad to hear I can use my t3 stuff.
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To assuage any lingering worries, I have the '63-65 t3 drums to go on the rear so it won't still be 4x130. Not talking
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - late transmission into '57 Oval Reply with quote

Does clutch cable stay the same length when running a later trans?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help - late transmission into '57 Oval Reply with quote

When I was helping friends put a new clutch cable into a 57 with a full synchro gearbox, the one they had was too short. We ended up installing the cable from a late Beetle: 111 721 335 E
AceHH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help - late transmission into '57 Oval Reply with quote

I also have a fullsynchro Trans in my 56 oval.
My old mechanic told me, someone rebuild the part where the transmission goes in, so I was not in need for the bus nose.
But the transmission was a bit too low so he made on each side some deepening in the chassis.

My main problem is the cluth, when I press it, the cluth come after 2 cm and there is no chance to regulate it at the end of the cluth cable..

Is it possible that it’s why I have a long arm at the pedal and a short at the transmission?
So the way is another than standard with long arm at the pedal and long arm at the transmission.
sufidancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - late transmission into '57 Oval Reply with quote

Hello folks, I'm resurrecting a old thread, I have a stock 56 bug I want to put a 1967 transaxle in. From this thread it seems the type 2 nosecone and hockey stick are all that's needed .
Some one mentioned banging for clearance? I rather not if that's what is required I'm not gonna do this mod. Nor do I want to weld in a new correct mount. So my question is has any one done a mod like this "Oval pan with Late 60s swing axle with simply using the new type 2 nosecone and hockey stick without having to bang clearance? I want to keep the pan original if I someday care to go back to the old split case. Thoughts??
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - late transmission into '57 Oval Reply with quote

It seems like a hit and miss proposition. Some people on thesamba claim that they have done it without any body dimples. My experience is that my 57 got the dimples and I'm the one who did it. Here is a photo of the damage. I'm not happy with it but it's not the end of my world.

On the other hand, I've wondered about the possibility of taking an angle grinder to the transaxle instead. A person could do quite a bit of nut/stud/nosecone removal without seriously challenging the integrity of the thing and at the end of the day if it doesn't work out you've only ruined 2 studs and 2 nuts and one non-sacred (in my opinion) full synchromesh nosecone.

Maybe you should give it a try.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: