Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crazy things you see at the campground
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy things you see at the campground Reply with quote

levi wrote:
AZ Landshaper wrote:
Once at some hotspings in WA state (1996) my wife and I had just laid down in the camper when we heard footsteps, zippers and the slider door open. Guy jumps in and lays down next to us and says "just me guys". I said who the hell is just me as my wife laid there terrified.
He obviously didnt recognize my voice and quickly jumped out and closed the door. I heard him yell "SORRY" as he headed down the trail in search of his real friends.
What a gas. Still laughing out loud at that one. -

Hey.
SORRY about that, I had a little too much to drink that night.

Nonsense, you attention-seeker you, it was ME!!! Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy things you see at the campground Reply with quote

Well whoever it was I thank you for puting your clothes back on before entering my camper and for departing before things got weird. Scenic hotsprings can be weird enough at times.

Freakin' freely in your birthday suite.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy things you see at the campground Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind and insightful replies. Like many things in life, the choice to carry is an individual one, and brings with it personal accountability. In turn, the accountability and impact of that choice differs by individual and circumstance. I appreciate the acceptance of that in the discussion.

To the comment by Ms Taboo on never needing one, I offer my heartfelt respect because I have seen your bears and that's remarkable and worthy of respect that they don't trouble your back country experience. East of Mt Assinaboine (sp?) my buddy and I hiked into a remote valley with at least two of the largest Grizzlies I am likely to ever see again in it, and a 3rd who left tracks fully the size of dinner plates that we did not see. All happened within 3 hours. It left a lasting impression on me.

What's also important is the comments some made about not imposing your beliefs on others. The very essence of freedom, personal choice is what sets us apart from those who would not permit that important essence to exist. For instance, as a vegetarian, I know that if the entire world chose to go vegetarian, world hunger would be solved. Enormous reductions in ground, water and air pollution would take place. Hundreds of billions of tax dollars already budgeted globally for future health issues related to overconsumption and heart disease from unhealthy diets could be freed up to stamp out cancer, and childhood disease. But you won't ever hear me either on a forum or in real life chastising someone for their personal choices and beliefs on diet.

I wouldn't begrudge someone their bacon cheeseburger, and nobody should ever begrudge my bringing an extra tool with me into the backcountry. It's a balance, and rarely do discussions of divisive issues turn out so well. Bravo one and all.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy things you see at the campground Reply with quote

Hey, I figure if we can't even get along with Dubbers, we're really screwed. Very Happy

But yeah, Thanks for the sentiments. And Yep, working hard on being a better veg all the time… I mean, vegetarian. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy things you see at the campground Reply with quote

I was cooking breakfast for my daughter's girl scout troop last fall at Peaceful Valley (outside Lyons, CO) when we saw people fleeing in terror from the one side of the campground. Out of the thicket came the biggest bull moose I've ever seen. He was going full speed across the valley to the river, and came within about twenty yards of our site. I swear you could feel the ground tremble as he ran by. He slowed down and became very upset with some dogs at a site near ours and lined up on them, but then changed his mind and went down to the river.

We collected ourselves, made sure everybody was okay, and got back to cooking. About five minutes later, ANOTHER bull moose came flying through the campground, people fleeing, etc.

My daughter said, "I wonder what they were running from?"

"It's not what they're running from," I replied, "It's what they're running towards. There must be a rather fetching she-moose down by the river..."

The whole thing got our blood pumping pretty good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gene l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy things you see at the campground Reply with quote

Well said, Idaho Doug!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy things you see at the campground Reply with quote

Very Happy having read this forum from "loud music and hells angles" to "they shoot bears don't they" I must say what a wide range if experiences--

My memorable moment came from some friends who would set up camp and then sleep in a motel every night- eccentric to say the least Shocked any way our local bear came thru one night and broke into their cooler containing 3# Limburger cheese and about $40 worth of high potency vitamins. and ate the lot--- Mad needless to say- we didn't see the bear for over a week.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy things you see at the campground Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
3# Limburger cheese and about $40 worth of high potency vitamins. and ate the lot--- Mad needless to say- we didn't see the bear for over a week.

So did the bear sh!t in the woods?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy things you see at the campground Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
williamM wrote:
3# Limburger cheese and about $40 worth of high potency vitamins. and ate the lot--- Mad needless to say- we didn't see the bear for over a week.

So did the bear sh!t in the woods?

probably not for a week

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: