Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crazy things you see at the campground
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad-Max
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the time i was going to california and stopped the night at a koa in lordsburg new mexico right before sundown. In seemed like a pretty empty town but as soon as it was dark all the people came out of there houses like vampires....maybe its just because it so damn hott in the middle of the day or maybe its because they suck blood
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy knew how to enjoy the outdoors! Generator buzzing so he can enjoy his well-lit cargo trailer that hauls his Harley and his wife’s V rod (New Harley). Jerk felt the need to fire them up as dusk was around us with the sounds of the crashing surf. Cool! No mufflers! Only to load them into the trailer – then leave the nice fluorescent light on (generator still running) so he can call his friends on the cell phone while he smokes…. The generator ran until 10 pm. He enjoyed his brand new camping lounge-chair (still had the price tags on it). Thanks buddy! Enjoy nature!

Wife went inside, turned on the TV, LOUD, had a Sat Dish on the roof..

:2gunfire:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovedavdubs wrote:
How's this Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Let me guess who that is...yellow '74 westy with a blue engine?
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year in the spring, I take a climbing trip to Joshua Tree Nat'l Monument for about 10 days. 3 or 4 years running now, as the sun is setting in Hidden Valley Campground, there's a dude that hikes up to the rim of the valley, and serenades the sunset with bagpipes. It's friggin' awesome!

-Jared

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let me guess who that is...yellow '74 westy with a blue engine

You got it. That's my buddy Justin Wink
cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, do I hate bongo drums in the campground. Play that funky music, white boy :2gunfire: :2gunfire: :2gunfire: :2gunfire:
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - the craziest thing I've seen was a group of mountain bikers on an overnight camping bachelor party. They put centerfolds up on the trees and were firing potatoes at them with a spudgun.
http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a bicycle ride from Chicago to New York and when my partner and I pulled into our campground one evening in July for the night I looked around and decided to go talk to a camper sitting by himself at a tent site not too far from us, figuring I should be friendly and sociable.

After introducing myself and making some small talk, I asked him, "So, how long have you been camped here?"

He says, "Since April."

My eyes opened wide and I decided it was time for me to politely say good night and hope this guy would not come over in the middle of the night and hack us to death.
scottcollins72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the wierdest I've ever had wasn't even in my westy. My girlfriend and I were in her Passat (westy was dead) in Deception Pass Wash. Two campsites down from us was a mid 60's married couple. The lady wore a train engineers uniform, and at the entrance to their camp was a welcome mat that was meticulously cleaned at regular intervals.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed at a campground in Jackson Hole once. They made me sign a form stating that I would not place carpet on the grass. I'm not sure why I would do this, or how my tent damaged the grass less than a roll of carpet.
HerrBGone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they were afraid you would dig a hole in the ground for the cup in your portable putting green? Razz

A fellow wanderer on the road less traveled

Fritz, '71 Superbeetle
Galileo, '98 New Beetle
Thunder, '85 Vanagon Westfalia (full camper)
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed in that very same Key West KOA on December 31, 1999. Shocked

That night, some 16 year old kid stole the KOA guys golf cart and drove it around the campground and into the water. The management threw his parents (in the Greyhound Bus sized camper towing jet skiis and motorcyles) out of the campground at 10 PM. They must have had to drive to Miami to find a place to park it on New Years Eve. There was also a Phish concert going on near there and camping was just about nil to start with. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Ever been to Burning Man? Reply with quote

Guys....Guys, That's NOTHING compared to what you'd see out at Burning Man (www.burningman.com) Imagine this; 40,000+ people out in the middle of a 400 sq mile dry lake bed in the middle of the Nevada desert over Labor Day. Daytime temps in the triple digits, nearest town 40 miles away. The face of your ticket reads
"YOU VOLUNTARILY ASSUME THE RISK OF SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH BY ATTENDING"
I could never even BEGIN to catalog all the weird,wacky, wonderful stuff I've seen since I first started going in 96
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Some good stuff, I've heard of Burning Man event and saw coverage on like Discovery channel or something. Def. need to make it some time.

I had a few annoyances in the Vanagon, nothing out of the norm though. I guess my weirdest was hiking the Ventana Wilderness in Northern/Central California coast.

It is a huge area of wilderness that my old girlfreind and I were hiking for 17 days. I mean wilderness, we had lightweight packs, tent, rolls, water purifier and minimal stuff for cooking and survival but we were both pretty stacked for the amount of time you have out there. Along about day 9 having seen nothing but wildlife and trees, we see a fellow hiker wandering toward us. As he approached it seemed only natural that he may stop and chat............nope. We say hello and he just wanders on past, not a sound. Incidentally not a thing on him. No pack, nothing but the clothes on his back. Now this pretty fu*ked up concidering our location. I assume he had just buried someone out there and left all evidence behind and now we were the only witnesses. The next few days were pretty uneasy as were the restless nights. Shocked However I still live.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Along about day 9 having seen nothing but wildlife and trees, we see a fellow hiker wandering toward us. As he approached it seemed only natural that he may stop and chat............nope. We say hello and he just wanders on past, not a sound. Incidentally not a thing on him. No pack, nothing but the clothes on his back. Now this pretty fu*ked up concidering our location.

He was probably farming a cash crop on government land. Happens alot. If you happen to stumble onto someone's crop, best to run the other way!

Great area, though. Right near Big Sur, no?

Regards,
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farming? Maybe.......... there was plenty of room to hide one out there. Too bad we didn't find anything. Wink

Oh, yes it is near Big Sur. Gorgeous place. We camped there one night out of the rental Corola that I almost drove off the side of a cliff on Pacific Coast highway. The windshield was kinda foggy and dumbass Florida boy here decides to hit it with the washer fluid at about 50 mph, it instantly formed a thin sheet of ice over the windshield that was impossible to see through. Shocked

After fumbling to roll the window down as quick as possible, I drove with my head out the window norrowly avoiding certain death driving "doggy style" if you will. I am sure the people behind us were wondering what the hell was wrong with me? I had to clean my poo off the seat at the next stop. Rolling Eyes

-Ric
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbx wrote:
My favorite so far is when the RV rolled out a patch of astroturf on the grass...

-Damon

Is that weird? I sell tons of that stuff to people for just that purpose. I never understood it myself, but I figured everyone did it. Kinda stupid in my book.

I'd say that it would be a $250k RV. You call that camping? That thing is nicer than my house.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singlewc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many times, I get settled in, and there is the sound of guitars, drums, amps, and microphones not to far away. And the worst part is, they stink!

I was in Yellowstone, heard the music, went over to tell them to shut the hell up, and not only did they have the guitars, drums, mics and amps, but fx pedals, and all kinds of recording gear. As it turned out, they were the stinking campground hosts! Just a bunch of punk kids........ (Madison Campground)

I went to the folks at the entrance, got a new campsite as far away as possible, and when I got home, contacted Xanterra, the company that runs the campground, and let em have it. To my suprise, I got a complete refund for my campsite, and a very acceptable letter of apology, hand written, with a reference phone number to call directly if such a thing every happened again.

I went back to YNP a few months later, and stayed in another campground, and right behind us, up on a hill, was a group of morons with banjos and guitars, who thought they were John Denver reincarnated. Of course, Xanterra doesn't own that campground, so at about 10PM, I casually walked over with my tire iron in hand, and told them that they were done for the night, right? Yes, and they were gone when we woke up the next morning.....

Camping ain't what it used to be Smile

John
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember moving camp late one afternoon, after another party moved in next to us, and started walking through our camp to a higher site. Back and forth. Over our gear. I watch one guy start casing our stuff, like he was taking inventory.
We moved Quick, I wanted R&R, not stand and protect duty.

On another trip, the parents kicked their 5 year old out to play at 7AM when he woke up, and stayed in bed! Kid came over and started playing with the stuff in our campground!

There is a great deal less respect for the out-of-doors, and manners in the LA area campgrounds.

Matt
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jedi-

Big Sur/Ventana Wilderness is in my response area! You'd be surprised at the number of folks that get lost in those woods, and are found with an ALOC. Haven't come across any buried, hacked up bodies yet though. At least not in the woods anyway...

-Jared

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: