Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior air flow
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Interior air flow Reply with quote

I am interested in improving the airflow/ventilation inside a 2.1 watercooled Vanagon.
Has anybody put a vent in this position ?
Any ideas on how well in would work ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

Maybe as good as the factory vent, but with more work involved.
Two new pieces of glass, and a pair of vents, and you are good to go.....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

It is too much work and it is a destructive work that might diminish the resale value.
As said better off the get the later model rear side window glass with the air vents and install them.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

I would not want a vent there since when sitting in traffic fumes from the engine compartment could rise up into that D pillar and enter the vent.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

I spent some time trying to find an appropriate pipe to go from the snorkle to the intake on my diesel vanagon (before a motor swap). I could actually still use the snorkle with my AAZ, though I'm planning to use that vent for an intercooler . . . Where did you get the pipe?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

I def agree with dobryan.

That being said... I am not entirely sure if the OP wants air to come INTO the van at that location or go OUT...

There seem to have been a LOT of conclusions drawn about weather that vent location actually bring "ram-air" into the engine compartment or not.

Personally, I would go with the late style glass/vent for air to pass out of the rear of the van. Even just one side would be way better. Some folks tell stories of how they or their installer have plenty of four letter word utterances while attempting the vent+glass types, but ALL of them rate the upgrade to air flow at top notch.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

The glass with vent is a piece of cake. Even done one with the westy closet still installed... that was challenging.

The Western Syncro build
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

I drove my van for a while with a rear hatch latch extension in place. I know, I know, a grossly stupid thing to do with all those carbon monoxide fumes billowing into the van. Actually, I rarely smelled exhaust at all, but at times I did so quit driving with the hatch cracked open. When the hatch was open, though, the air flow was dramatically different. Instead of buffeting around inside the van, the air flow was laminar from front to back, making it much quieter, cooler, and comfortable. Since then I've daydreamed of some way to recreate this effect without brain damage, but (possibly due to CO inhalation) have been unable to come up with a way to do this with my skill set. All I can say is that it would be well worth it if a safe rear vent could recreate this interior air flow.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

Nuthin2It

Watch the classifieds. The late model rear quarter windows with the vents come up fairly often. This will change your life, and not end it with CO poising.

Listen to dobryan. He's been about the most rocksteady poster I've paid attention to over the years. Always good info, and very encouraging. When I do something different at first, I often read back again on his comment, and when I do it right, its like night and day. (And that is why I will try, again, on the 'leave closet in' attempt on that window)
Skull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying,but I didn't explain properly what I was thinking . I only used that photo to describe the position . On my petrol van the pillar is blocked off from the engine on the snorkel side .
I doubt while driving ,there would be fumes entering at that point, it is not much different to the window vents.
I was hoping some crazy person like me had tried and tested it before.
Just me thinking too much AGAIN .
I don't want to fall asleep at the wheel.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

Got it. What you describe then will not add fumes but your effect can be realized by the later models plastics vents at the back of the c/d pillar windows.

The Western Syncro build
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

The later year Beetles had a vent behind the rear side window.
Through a vent on either side of the rear window flow through ventilation was achieved.

Sadly, to seal things up from engine fumes VW used an expanding foam which accelerated rust.

It is "affectionately" known as "Death Foam".

Many have eliminated these body killing vents.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437975&highlight=death+foam

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

Quote:

There seem to have been a LOT of conclusions drawn about weather that vent location actually bring "ram-air" into the engine compartme

Please don’t go back there. Never in the field of human endeavor has so little progress Been made by so many posts.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

the vents are in a LOW PRESSURE ZONE on the side of the vanagon.
set to allow the cooling fan little resistance in drawing in clean air to cool the originally designed air cooled engines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Please don’t go back there. Never in the field of human endeavor has so little progress Been made by so many posts.

🤣🤣

That has to be one of the epic threads of that genre…similar threads made progress by halting steps but that one…? Not so much.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
The glass with vent is a piece of cake. Even done one with the westy closet still installed... that was challenging.

I agree with the OP, more air movement is needed in the back quarter of the van.
As others said, breaching the intake wall may introduce fumes.

One rear window was broken on my '86 when I first got it, so I searched for and found a post-87 vented rear window as a replacement.

A month or so later, I found a vented window for the other side and upgraded that one as well.

I'm still looking for a way to
1. neatly close the rear vents when it is very cold out and
2. duct air in through the vent with a 12v computer fan when parked/camping.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

Skull wrote:
I am interested in improving the airflow/ventilation inside a 2.1 watercooled Vanagon.
Has anybody put a vent in this position ?

Yes, Volkswagen did it at their factory in South Africa:

But, for you to do it would probably be an engineering nightmare since those vans were built from the start to incorporate a dual-function D-pillar engine air intake/cabin airflow. So, I concur; easiest solution is to retrofit the (German) late-model rear windows & vents.

Abscate wrote:

Plenty of scientific evidence was presented in that thread, but a few refused to understand it. Furthermore, within just 7 pages, a conclusion to the OP's initial problem was identified, regardless of the airflow debate: Oil cooler needed to be reinstalled. The "How does a Syncro/VC work?" thread is approaching 50 pages... now THAT is little progress with a lot of posts. Razz
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior air flow Reply with quote

I want those sliding cargo side windows. Our Mitsubishi van has a slider there on one side and it's awesome cruising along with the air moving all the way through the interior on a nice summer day.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: