Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Install this tach?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Install this tach? Reply with quote

Trying to decide wether to attempt the installation of a 86 tachometer and instrument panel into my 81 vanagon w subaru conversion.
Im not that entertained by the clock but would like to see the tach reving w my suby swap. In addition my instrument panel has three broken attachment clips and the lights no longer work so i drive in total darkness.
Old Volks supposedly has the info but their site looks to be down. Is this a hard conversion? Ideally I will connect the coolant temp gauge and the tach and all those things I dont currently have. Ive read what I can but the info is elusive w/o direct access the OVH site and PDF.

Whos done this? Was it that difficult? Any warnings to heed?

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Install this tach? Reply with quote

I put an '87 cluster with tach into my '86 with clock and it wasn't hard. I used the help from the site you mentioned.

Being the hoarder I am, I saved the PDF. Shoot me an email and I'll send it to you! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slowcoach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Install this tach? Reply with quote

That's the guide to use. If your 81 cluster has the vertical multiplug, you'll have to reorder the pins in your harness plug to match the newer horizontal one. But that's easy plug and play, just follow the guide closely and make your notes. Smile You'll need to convert the suby rev signal into one that's compatible with the vw vdo gauge though for the tach to work. Here in the UK Richard at rjes engineering makes a module to do that . You can prob get a similar unit? Smile
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Install this tach? Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Trying to decide wether to attempt the installation of a 86 tachometer and instrument panel into my 81 vanagon w subaru conversion.
Im not that entertained by the clock but would like to see the tach reving w my suby swap. In addition my instrument panel has three broken attachment clips and the lights no longer work so i drive in total darkness.
Old Volks supposedly has the info but their site looks to be down. Is this a hard conversion? Ideally I will connect the coolant temp gauge and the tach and all those things I dont currently have. Ive read what I can but the info is elusive w/o direct access the OVH site and PDF.

Whos done this? Was it that difficult? Any warnings to heed?

No need for somebody to send you the PDF. Save it for yourself. Great invention called the wayback machine internet archive.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160315123038/http://www.oldvolkshome.com/late_van_cluster_install.pdf
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Install this tach? Reply with quote

I have the vertical plug. I also have the screw in speedo cable. Would it be a better route to install the Gowesty blue foil replacement and just a VW stock tach? Or is the instrument panel still the best way to go.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Install this tach? Reply with quote

It is pretty simple to do. Your old speedo will work in the tach cluster fine.

Post a photo of the back side of the new cluster.

Mark
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Install this tach? Reply with quote

Gotcha. THat makes sense. Old speedo in new cluster to retain screw on feature. Foil should be able to handle this as a simple speedo replacement.

I see light at the end of the tunnel.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Install this tach? Reply with quote

Having a working oil pressure warning light is pretty important. Depending of the version of blue foil this may take an extra step. There are 4 versions of the tach foil that I know of. Most tach foils need the extra step when an earlier speedo is used.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: