Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have a EUROVAN and nobody likes me.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: I have a EUROVAN and nobody likes me. Reply with quote

What a bummer, the Eurovan and Vanagons are on the same Gallery and forum posts. I found a "nearly abandonded" 93 Euro. It starts and runs and drives but might possibly have a bad ignition switch. Has some minor rust from paint rub offs. I was just looking for a truck and found this. Besides, the only way to get into the "Buses Nowhere Near The Arch" Summer campout is to have a VW. I drive a CABRIOLET. It ain't much for campin' though.
My bummer is that the early VW peeps don't appreciate them. To a lot of people they are just modes of transportation. I have a list of VW's that I have owned and loved, even hated. Like an Oval sinkin' a float on one of the dual carbs. Yeah, that kind of "hatin'" I know the correct smell of a 1967 VW but no one appreciates the '90+ stuff except speed demons. I was raised on VW's. My Mom probably rode in one on the way to the Hospital to give birth to me. Maybe it's good they are on the same post. Maybe someone will relate to me.
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish more "Modern" VW owners had the air-cooled community mentality. Perhaps you can recruit some more for us.
'86 Westy w/ (18s)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what I mean. I don't want to start an arguement. I guess ignorance is bliss. Ignorance on my part or anyone others is not a good reason for an argument. SO I say WHATEVER. I just thought that someone might have some knowledge other than "sucks" So does my vaccum and it is a freind of mine.
cheeseisgood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my splitty and got a 87 westy and have only got 1 half-assed wave (I think he thought I knew him or something)......hopefully the new Rheins will soon get some much needed attention Cool
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVEURO wrote:
I just thought that someone might have some knowledge other than "sucks"

Honestly, this forum is more for Vanagons than Eurovans. VwVortex.com has a LOT more talk about Eurovans... it is almost all Euro talk, actually. You can talk about how to add dubs, drop the suspension, add in-van movie systems, smoked turn signals...

yeah... all sorts of important stuff Wink

-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find the Eurovan owners on VW Vortex.

EDIT - oops - simultaneous post
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find nothing offensive about the Euro. It seems nice enough to me. My friend just picked one up and he loves it. Hell it goes a lot faster than mine. The only problem is they lack the feeling of being puched down the road like vanagons and busses. you also don't get to sit on top of the front wheels which is unique unto itself. But, they don't suck.
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the "non-sucks" repies. This Fall I paid off my Cabby with helping my own Bro' with replacing the floors of his "SPLITTY" among other metal work. I was also his buddy as we hauled home his BIG NUT TransAxle for his '66 Westy. My Euro will just be my truck. Nothing fancy or Arguementable. But a VW NONETHELESS.
btlbugtyp1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i dont like the eurovan as it looks like everything else on he road now..... the engine is in the wrong end........and its a water leaker
also every eurovan ive ever seen was an automatic .....and thats just plain sick ......a lazy mans van .....eurovan = dodge ford chevy to me

did i also say they just suck overall
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVEURO,

You're in a tough crowd here!!
The EuroVan represents a very distinct departure from what many of us consider the best design philosophy in automotive history!!

The industry was changing in the late 1980's and VW couldn't morph the Vanagon enough to make it a truly "modern" vehicle. It's days were numbered and the EuroVan never touched the hearts of long-time VW owners. The boxer engines (air or water) mounted in the rear made for a phenominal design platform that had, and always will have the elusive automotive holy-grail ...character. ...soul.

Don't get me wrong, I bought a Passat "Rocket" for my wife and it's a beautiful, modern, safe, efficient car. We love it!! But the difference between a EuroVan and Vanagon is like the Passat and a Beetle.
Just different animals.

james

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bill E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bug guy at heart, but have owned a 80 Vanagon for 14 years and over 250,000 miles, until the doors started comin off.

I have had the 93 Eurovan for a few years now and gettin closer all the time to 175,000 miles. The nicest VW for drivin I have owned. Oh did I say it has lots of power and torque. Yes, it is a 5 speed and I wouldnt do it any other way. Wouldnt own a automatic and they are junk and expensive to fix. Sure wish they would come out with the Micro or something more retro like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bigdood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like you dave, and your eurovan. welcome to the samba.

"We should all be having more fun. A lot more of the time. " -Randy in Maine
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: No Kill I Reply with quote

Long time ago...

Splitty window bus people sneer Bay window people, new van, bad changes, no like...

Bay window people sneer Vanagon A/C people, new van, bad changes, no like...

Vanagon A/C people sneer Vanagon Wasserboxer people, new van, bad changes, no like...

Wasserboxer people sneer Eurovan people, new van, bad changes, no like...

Me no do that.

Me think if you happy with EV, that good!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the vw love affair. Its like when you look at another woman, and yours gets pissed, or worse. Your van doesn't like you looking at other vans either! the only solution is polygamy Wink
Bubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Vanagon, but I don't make fun of people that own Eurovans. They are both completely different vehicles, sharing the VW name.

Last edited by Bubs on Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Don't get me wrong, I bought a Passat "Rocket" for my wife and it's a beautiful, modern, safe, efficient car. We love it!! But the difference between a EuroVan and Vanagon is like the Passat and a Beetle.
Just different animals."

My wife also drives a Passat, the GLX 4Motion V6 Wagon. I tried to get her to sell it, telling her I'd find her a nice '91 Carat and put a Subie motor in it; the resulting conversation almost had me living in my Vanagon...Passats are excellent in every possible way (except that they aren't Vanagons.)

Joe T.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grunwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sweat it, Dave. The first advice I got on this forum when contemplating the purchase of my 87 Westy was, "Buy the most expensive, low mileage Eurovan you can find." Vanagons are classics (now) and are charming vehicles--a major plus when they are sitting immobile in the driveway like mine is now! Enjoy your Eurovan and take advantage of the knowledge (and ignore some of the opinions) on The Samba. Cheers.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wave at anything with a VW insignia. Wink If they don't wave back (Jettas, golfs etc.) ...oh well. I did my part. Give em time, they'll come around.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a story:
When I first started posting on The Samba a few years ago, the Vanagon/Eurovan Forum, got about a post a day.
When you clicked on this forum button you could hear crickets chirp.
Nobody cared much about Vanagons let alone Eurovans.
When I need help with my aircooled I'd post on the bay window forum, always careful not to use the word Vanagon, some of them don't like Vanagons much. Well lately Vanagons are starting to get popular like was stated above.
So now we have started a small, but lively group of Vanagon owners here.
Since we a double forum, I say we make the best of it.
Lets be the adults of the Samba and help people with van problems, and not judge them by which van it is.
I really would like to have more Eurovan owners here, most of us, me included don't know much about them.
Anything Watercooled is going to get crap in the VW community, at least maybe we could get them to say something like "Watercooled sucks, but at least the Van Owners are usually cool".
Makes life a little bit more pleasant anyways.
grunwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snobs suck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: