Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Sunvizors question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Split Sunvizors question Reply with quote

Hi everyone !

looking for a perfect repro or original split sunvisor .... anybody knows where to find one or the other ??

found several , but they came with the ribbed edge , so i guess they are not for split ......

any help here ??

thanks in advance

Ricardo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one I know makes the split visor reproductions.
vwovalguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:

Not for long..................thats why he wants one. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwovalguy wrote:
53 0val wrote:

Not for long..................thats why he wants one. Confused

It's gonna cost him. NOS right side split visors go for over $300. (there is a definite difference between right and left......you can't just turn them around because the rivets would not match up)
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot.......there also is a slight color difference to the accessory right side visor and the OG left one. It's best to check with English or Austrialian collectors if you want the color to match.......think about it. Wink
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of my split / KDF sunvisor that came with my 43 split. I would loan it to ya but NAWWWWW fuggit about it Laughing Laughing I have yet to even find another one. This one is on my split Wink Good luck Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow .......thanks for the picture. That is totally different from the split or oval ones.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
Forgot.......there also is a slight color difference to the accessory right side visor and the OG left one. It's best to check with English or Austrialian collectors if you want the color to match.......think about it. Wink

One last thing.......the accessory arm for the right side accessory visor is DRGM marked on the split verison but seldom seen on oval arms. That's probably too much information though.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this access visor in my '50:

Anyone know anything about it? I have since replaced the left side oval one with a correct straight edge spli tone. Cost me over $200...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: sunvisor Reply with quote

no , i don`t want to have them reproduced , i just need one for my car ...i have the og part , but the perspex shrunk and is badly warped ....

otherwise , the mirror and the sunvisor frame are in perfect condition .

by last , what`s wrong if i would like to get the part to reproduce it ?? that would help dozens of vw users .....
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and Gary have a lot to talk about. Rolling Eyes
olivierfr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: the same one Reply with quote

Hello, i have the same one nos for sale, look, there's the part number on the box.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=345224

johnshenry wrote:
I have this access visor in my '50:

Anyone know anything about it? I have since replaced the left side oval one with a correct straight edge spli tone. Cost me over $200...
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not for a split.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2splits wrote:
Thats not for a split.

Shocked You're right. There not even correct for an early oval. Embarassed
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:

It's gonna cost him. NOS right side split visors go for over $300. (there is a definite difference between right and left......you can't just turn them around because the rivets would not match up)

OK, Bob. What's the deal? Big rivets on one side and small on the other? Small rivets facing the driver when the visor is down?
Which ones are drivers and which ones are passengers?
Is it DBGM or DRGM?

Both have large rivets on this side. The top one is from this years Red Barn ($40) and the bottom one with the DBGM arm was from this years Classic ($20).

It's hard to see, but the top visor has small rivets while the bottom has large rivets. Both have large rivets on the other side.

53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
53 0val wrote:

OK, Bob. What's the deal? Big rivets on one side and small on the other? Small rivets facing the driver when the visor is down?
Which ones are drivers and which ones are passengers?
Is it DBGM or DRGM?

Both have large rivets on this side. The top one is from this years Red Barn ($40) and the bottom one with the DBGM arm was from this years Classic ($20).

It's hard to see, but the top visor has small rivets while the bottom has large rivets. Both have large rivets on the other side.

You did well Kurt but not that well. The bottom visor (in the center section) is Zwitter or early oval driver side. If it has any hint of a lip or line on the bottom, as that one appears to have, it is not split. It appears that you have two driver side visors one split and one later. The rivets should be large facing the driver when the both visors are in the down position not one with large rivets and one with small rivets. DBGM is correct ......DRGM refers to a patent pending (Pre-war)......DBGM is post war patent, as I understand it. I have had a few with the DBGM as well. (Ovals and Zwitters can have mixed rivets as long as the "lip" on the visor is on the same side. Because split visors had no lip the rivets should match up.)

Last edited by 53 0val on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW...... The "split" accessory passager's side visor is one of the rarest of all VW accessories. Many splits use oval visors or simply reverse the driver's side visor. Split visors are rare enough, but the passager side visor is in a whole different league. Wink After looking again at your pictures Kurt.........you may have one. The very top picture shows a visor with no lip and the large rivets on the correct side to be a "split" accessory visor. (unless this is the one with large rivets on both sides) Bring it with you to Solvang and we'll take a closer look. My computer or your pictures make it difficult to really tell.
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
BTW...... The "split" accessory passager's side visor is one of the rarest of all VW accessories. Many splits use oval visors or simply reverse the driver's side visor. Split visors are rare enough, but the passager side visor is in a whole different league. Wink After looking again at your pictures Kurt.........you may have one. The very top picture shows a visor with no lip and the large rivets on the correct side to be a "split" accessory visor. (unless this is the one with large rivets on both sides) Bring it with you to Solvang and we'll take a closer look. My computer or your pictures make it difficult to really tell.

Thanks, Bob! Yeah, the pictures aren't the best. It's a good camera, so that leaves the photographer. LOL! Solvang looks like a go as of now!
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what the initials D.B.G.M. stamped on these represents/stands for?
tazm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwboop wrote:
Anyone know what the initials D.B.G.M. stamped on these represents/stands for?

Deutsches Bundes Gebrauchs Musterschutz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: