Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas strut assisted pop tops?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Gas strut assisted pop tops? Reply with quote

So as to avoid hijacking someone's thread where I (inappropriately because it was off topic Embarassed ) asked about westy's fitted with gas struts to assist lifting the pop top, I'll start a new thread... (I hope this is the proper etiquite!)

Nigel A. Skeet wrote:
Quote:
It's been a long time since I visited your part of the World, having passed through Seattle and Vancouver airports in September 1981, on my way from London to Victoria, Vancouver Island, to visit some people I had met in Ethiopia, back in October 1972. By some quirk of fate, on the flight from London, I found myself seated next to the grand-daughter, of the then governor general of British Columbia.

When I was but a lad, in my early-to-mid 20s, I was slightly less than 118 pounds, but being 5 feet 10½ inches (i.e. 1·79 metres) tall, I was tall enough to gain the necessary arm leverage. It's height and reach more than strength, which is needed. As one gets older, one begins to appreciate more, such luxuries as gas struts.

I have a few, less than perfect photographs (taken with my 1979 vintage Olympus OM2, 35 mm SLR), of my retro-fitted, Westfalia pop-top, gas struts, but alas my local public library's document scanner and associated network computer, has been out of action for the past couple of months and I do not know when or if it will be functional again!

My 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, is stored in my garage, waiting for me to complete its refurbishment and the present round of upgrades (including a 1911 cc, VW Type 4 engine & matching transaxle – hope to substitute a 5-speed Vanagon transaxle one day!), but I hope to soon take some more photographs, because David Eccles, the editor of Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine (now bi-monthly, by subscription), has expressed interest in publishing another of my "How To" technical articles; this time the retro-fitment of gas struts to the Westfalia pop-top.

I fabricated some brackets out of duramumin offcuts, which I fastened to the pop-top. The 550 mm long gas struts, were attached at one end to these and at the other end, to the hinge/slider mechanism's existing van-roof bracket.

That's all for the moment.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Thanks Nigel! I wish we could find that magazine over in Vancouver!

Does anyone else have any experience/insight/pictures of how this works? I'm tall enough to reach it (5'9") but lack the upper body strength (118 lbs...) Rolling Eyes

Are the big and ugly? Will I hit my delicate head on them? Laughing
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The struts would be comparable to those that help lift hatchback gates, so they're not all that large. You should be able to find some at your FLAPS, and they might be able to hook you up with some mounting points too. If not you could raid a station wagon or hatchback in the junk yard for the mounts (I'd go fo new struts though, no use getting some that are who knows how far from losing their charge!)

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Gas-strut assisted pop-tops and VW Camper & Commercial m Reply with quote

Dear 77 Bus Girl

In order to fit the gas struts to the GRP (i.e. glass-fibre reinforced plastic) pop top, I deliberately fabricated custom-made attachment brackets (about 170 mm long), so that the considerable force produced by the gas struts, would be distributed over as large an area as possible.

They are fitted to the pop top using two stainless steel pan-head M6 screws (button-head, M6 Allen screws, would probably be even neater) through the sloping sides of the pop top, with 25 mm diameter washers on the outside and a long duralumin reinforcement plate on the inside, plus four stainless steel self-tapping screws, into the longitudinal wooden reinforcements, onto which the fabric is stapled.

In the future, I shall remove these custom-made, gas-strut attachment brackets, for painting and to photograph for my "How To" technical article.

VW Camper & Commercial magazine, back issues 23, 22, 21, 20, 18, 17, 15, 14, 13, 11, 9 & 8, are still available from the publishers, priced at £4·25 + shipping.

The magazine was originally published quarterly, but recently changed to being bi-monthly. The magazine can be readily obtained directly from the publishers, by either of one or two year subscription. There are several subscribers in the USA and Australia, so there are probably some in Canada too.

http://www.volkswagencamper.co.uk/

These are the subscription details:

http://www.volkswagencamper.co.uk/subscriptions.htm

Volkswagen Camper & Commercial subscripions come in 6 issue and 13 issue (one free) packages: Zone 6 Issue Subscription 13 Issue Subscription
UK £23.70 £47.40
Europe
Air Mail* £32.46 £66.38
Outside Europe
Air Mail* £39.18 £80.94
Outside Europe
Surface Mail** £32.04 £65.47

*Airmail delivery time is usually within three days to Western Europe, four days to Eastern Europe and five days for the rest of the world, following the day of posting.

**Surface Mail - To keep the subscriptions cost down for overseas subscribers, we have given subscribers the choice to have their magazine sent out by printed paper Surface Mail. The delivery time for the first issue will be up to 2 weeks for Western Europe, 4 weeks for Eastern Europe and 8 weeks for the Rest of the World, subsequent issues will follow bi-monthly.

The following is an extract from the magazine's Internet website:

http://www.volkswagencamper.co.uk/about.htm

« The only magazine exclusivey dedicated to the VW Bus, in all its forms »

« Volkswagen Camper and Commercial was established in 2000, the same year that marked the Fiftieth Anniversary of the launch of the VW Transporter, with the strapline “For those who live their life with a van.” »

« As well as featuring and celebrating the VW bus, in all its forms, the magazine caters for all things bus related. ‘How To’ features cover subjects from fitting a sunroof or Dormobile elevating roof through to replacing panels and sills. ‘Travel’ describes interesting routes, campsites and also documents stories that range from crossing Africa to touring the Cairngorms in winter. Archive stories trace the development and history of particular models such as The Samba or The Pick Up, or Camping Conversions ranging from Devon to Sundial. The Bus Doctor is there to help out with technical queries and News and Products keeps you updated with bus related accessories and goodies as well as what’s new on the scene. »

« Each issue features top quality buses, from across all generations, to inspire and admire. Whether your passion is for Splitty, Bay or T25, we bring you the best around and not just from the show circuit. Many of our features are buses restored by their owners to be used as daily drivers, and you don’t have to have spent shedloads with certain names to be featured in the magazine! We even recognise and profile the T4 and T5! We profile different interior layouts used by converters like Danbury, Devon, Westfalia or Viking and also feature interiors designed and built by owners. »

« VW Camper & Commercial - the magazine for those who live their life with a VW van. If you drive a Type 2 then this is the mag for you! »

That's all for now.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO who else here thinks that Nigel is on the magazine's payroll??? Razz Laughing

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would spend some quality time lubircating the hinges and pivot joints on that top.

I used some "slick 50 spray lube" that I found someplace and that really reduced the effort required to pop the top.

Finding a good spot to stand to perform "the lift" is also helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would help to have some struts that can lift a heavier load. the top is way heavier than a hatch. i have a catalog with industrial grade gas struts. i will have a look
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suppliers of these struts refer to them as gas springs, you can find the greatest assortment by searching thru google for "gas springs" ... do not forget to include the quotation marks. without the quotations the site will look for any sentences that have both words but not necessarily together or in that order. for example: "...the valve SPRINGS on your GAS powered engine..."

the real trick with these gas springs is to find a way to position/angle them within the defined stroke length etc. without also binding the scissor hinges of the camper top. tranverse mounting is one way to avoid binding at the hinge.. since the springs lay somewhat flat when the top is closed, and the springs exert pressure in this position as well, longitudinal mounting would stress this type of hinge. the transverse mounting will also provide an angular advantage when the top is in the closed position, as the lifting of the top begins.

as far as capacity, i glimpsed breifly at the springs that were availble on some of the sites and found ones with extended lengths of 35" and spring forces of 250 lbs. that one was found at www.guden.com . under the standard springs tab then click on 10mm rod X 22mm tube

what the heck, why dont i just make some kits w/ instructions and sell them on this site?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Gas-strut assisted pop tops Reply with quote

daves_ale wrote:
SO who else here thinks that Nigel is on the magazine's payroll??? Razz Laughing

For my ½ page and 2 page articles, which were published in Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine, in the Autumn & Winter 2005 issues, I received complementary copies of those issues, plus the princely sums of £25 and £50 respectively, which probably wouldn't even cover "daves_ale" bar bill for one weekend's campout! I have never received any other emoluments!

I can only dream about being on the magazine's payroll and becoming a staff writer of some sort. Several years ago, I enquired to VW Trends about the freelance technical writer position they had advertised, but they weren't interested, because my articles normally refer to the use of second-hand components and materials, salvaged from various car marques at my local car wreckers' yards, rather than buying new stuff, which readers could obtain from VW Trends' advertisers.

If my 1995 vintage, second-hand Pentium 1 computer (with 6 MB RAM and running Windows 3.1 for Workgroups) hadn't thrown a wobbly a fortnight ago (It now only shows a BIOS prompt for the current password, whatever that is!), and if the local public library document scanner & associated network computer were functional once more, I would have sent details of my gas-strut installation, with what pictures I have and descriptions of the angles and attachment points.

Let it suffice to say, that the gas struts (about 18 mm diameter and 550 mm fully extented length) are positioned longitudinally, external to the pop-top canvas, so that one can see the struts from outside.

I took great care to measure the various dimensions, with the pop-top fully raised and fully lowered. This enabled me to position the custom-made, duralumin attachment brackets, so that gas struts would never be fully extended or fully compressed and the electrical switch would be open circuit, only when the pop top was fully lowered. When the pop top is raised, the original hinged struts are locked into position, to provide safe support.

Be wary of using gas struts which are much stronger than necessary, because this will put additional stress on the roof, pop top and attachment brackets. Ideally, the gas struts want to be just strong enough, to enable the user to raise the pop top one-handed, with minimal effort and not be obliged to hold the roof down, to prevent it springing up violently and potentially ripping the canvas walls.

That's all for today.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, 77_Bus_Girl, I'm going to take a different approach and encourage you to believe in yourself and your own ability to open the poptop. I, too, am a skinny girl, and I made sure I could open a poptop by myself before I purchased a Westy. It isn't easy, but it can be done. I am now a lot older, but can still do it alone if necessary.

Lubricating all the moving parts is an excellent first step. Next after releasing all the catches, I lift the top as far as I am able by pushing up on the black grab bar or palms flat against the fiberglass. I then change position with both hands on the metal lifting bar, and one (or more) foot braced against the seat/bed behind me. Take a deep breath and PUSH REAL HARD until the lifter fully extends and locks into position. If height is your issue, I have heard of people fashioning pieces of lumber to lengthen their reach and provide leverage during the PUSH. Good luck, you can do it!
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gas-strut assisted pop tops Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
thrown a wobbly a fortnight ago

I love it.
"two nations seperated by a common language."

Berd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinfalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had the rear hinges working ok.
Lubing,
Removing, dismantling, reshaping, relubing,
No good;
It seems I have the softest white metal ever, and the worst design about stuff that should slide smoothly iso jamming.
Are they better rear hinges than what they fit on my Feb 74 Westy ?
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input people! I love this site!

I'll give it another try... lubing it up may be the ticket. However, I won't be trying it any time soon - I put out my back putting in a heater box and muffler! Rolling Eyes
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinfalls wrote:
I never had the rear hinges working ok.
Lubing,
Removing, dismantling, reshaping, relubing,
No good;
It seems I have the softest white metal ever, and the worst design about stuff that should slide smoothly iso jamming.
Are they better rear hinges than what they fit on my Feb 74 Westy ?

Twinfalls~ the poptop hinges are easy to replace, once you are able to locate a pair. 74 - 79 Westy hinges are the same. There are supposed to be plastic rollers at the ends of the 'X'. I bought a pair of hinges for about $30, and found them by writing to anyone parting out a late model Westy (or you can place a wanted ad in the samba). Heavy item, so shipping is high.

77_Bus_Girl~ check to make sure your hinges are not bent or broken. Just before my hinge broke it became very stiff to lift. Turns out two spots had progressively become more and more bent, until finally the rivet broke and the roller popped out of the slot.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gas-strut assisted pop tops Reply with quote

A few days ago, I wrote:

« For my ½ page and 2 page articles, which were published in Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine, in the Autumn & Winter 2005 issues, I received complementary copies of those issues »

Whoops! The articles I wrote, were actually published one year earlier, in the Autumn & Winter 2004 issues. How time flies!

If any one is interested, they were about unmasking the headlamp high-beam warning light and fabricating a neat, home-made, oil-pressure gauge-sender, installation adapter, for the Type 4 engine, using commonly available, M10 x 1·0 mm threaded fittings, including some elegant banjo fittings.

That's all for today.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Gas-strut assisted, Westfalia pop top Reply with quote

After a few months of waiting, my local public library's flat-bed scanner, is finally back in operation!

So, without further ado, these are links to the postings and picture files, in The Samba Gallery, illustrating the Volvo 300-series gas struts, with integral electrical switch, which I retro-fitted to my 1973 VW Type 2, Westfalia Continental campervan's elevating roof (i.e. pop top in USA parlance!):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=294831

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=294830

Enjoy your viewing.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I am 6'4 and have pretty strong arms from kayaking and I hate lifting and especially lowering the poptop too. It is easy to hurt your back when you don't let it down the right way. It doesn't help having to make sure that the canvas ends up on the inside. So I like the idea of the struts if done right. Thanks for persisting in your search for a solution!

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Thanks for sharing Nigel.

I suppose one could get really lazy and devise a powered top raiser easily enough. Classy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncwarw wrote:
I suppose one could get really lazy and devise a powered top raiser easily enough. Classy!

I think I can even envision the basics of how to do that on a '74-'79 top. Attach cables to the upper hinge of the front support piece, run them around pulleys on the support crossbar and use a pair of small electric winches on the forward edge of the poptop opening to draw in the cable (and thereby raise the top).

Lowering the top, you're on your own. And I ain't going to be the one figuring that stuff out and testing it either, manual opening/closing works pretty well on my '75 .. for me at least. My wife has trouble with it, but that's just 'cuz she's short.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and in case anyone Stateside is wondering, we never got the Volvo 300's over here. They were built in the Netherlands by the DAF passenger car division that Volvo bought a stake in back in the '70s. So we'll have to find gas struts from something we *did* get and adapt NASkeet's diagrams & instructions appropriately.

Here's a pic of the Volvo 300:
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Here's a pic of the Volvo 300:

As much of a Volvo fan as I am, that thing just looks...confused. Like a VW Rabbit mated with a Chevette. Confused Probably a great little car, though. Did they offer a wagon?

77_Bus_Girl: To stay more-or-less on-topic, have you considered using the pop-top mechanism from a Vanagon Westy? Being spring-assisted, they don't take a lot of effort to raise or lower.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: