Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Okrasa in split
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Okrasa in split Reply with quote

OK all you Okrasa owners. My engine is ready to put into my '52 zwitter. Before I start, is there anything I should know that will help with the installation? Do the carbs get in the way,etc...?

thanks,
Dave
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 2 people and are very careful you can put it in with the carbs on, exhaust off, and air cleaners off. Put tape over the carbs when the air cleaners are off. You have to tilt the motor a lot so you have to have 2 people. 2 jacks is really nice also. If you take off one rim/tire you can jack the car high with one floor jack and then roll the motor in under the rear fender with the other floor jack. Then let the car down slow stopping just about 1 foot above the motor then jack up the motor. Tilt the motor toward the apron and to one side to let one carb go past the engine compartment side at a time. Take your time.

If you are doing a full show car with a fully detailed motor I would say DON’T DO THIS it’s to risky and you should take the carbs and manifold off if you really want to be careful. I have done this many times but the paint on my car is old, but my motor is fully detailed and I have not scratched it in the process
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Well here is my advice after installing my Okrasa Reply with quote

Take off your carbs and muffler. Even so be carefull of the carb manifolds as they are fairly wide and can clip the deck.

In addition to this I would take masking tape and tape the edge of the deck and apron so that a bump wont take the paint off. It is bound to happen otherwise. Simply pull the tape when you are done

The muffler was the worst as it just sits so close to the apron you are bound to scrape something.

-Craig
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As coolair said, take the carbs and muffler off, I have had my Okrasa in and out a couple of times and I always take them off.
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Another suggestion Dave Reply with quote

I would put some heat shield material on the rear apron. If you are using an Arbarth they are bigger and sit closer to the rear apron. Putting a heat shield will save you from melting your paint. BTW. If you need some material I have most of a roll purchased from Eastwood.

-Craig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: