Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Out of curiosity, what’s the underside of the oil bath look like?

Here ya go!

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
D-train wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:

Out of curiosity, what’s the underside of the oil bath look like?

Here ya go!

Epic!!

When did they stop using the round pressing and go to the other pressing I wonder..
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:
Actually... I believe that is a early 55 finger tin. Not even a 54’. There is provisions for only 2 sheet metal screws on the finger side and not three. Three screws are in 54’.

Here’s some pics of the tin that Todd is referring to. I believe these were used from around October 54 to early 55? Guess they were introduced when they changed from 3 to 2 bolts per shoe box.

The change from three to two screws on each side took place between Dec 1954 and Jan 1955 (somewhere between engine # 922579 and 960717).
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
56samba wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:
Actually... I believe that is a early 55 finger tin. Not even a 54’. There is provisions for only 2 sheet metal screws on the finger side and not three. Three screws are in 54’.

Here’s some pics of the tin that Todd is referring to. I believe these were used from around October 54 to early 55? Guess they were introduced when they changed from 3 to 2 bolts per shoe box.

The change from three to two screws on each side took place between Dec 1954 and Jan 1955 (somewhere between engine # 922579 and 960717).

Thank you for confirming as that is similar to the time frame I came up with.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

Found another rare and yet so unimportant detail on an engine that I’m currently working on. It really seems like they used a lot of early parts up to the around 1-2/55 and modified them to work along with later parts that were introduced in this period.
Late 54 to early 55 shoe box features three holes in the tin but only two threads to bolt the cylinder tin to the shoe box- you will not see this when everything is in place.

Jan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

I recently switched back to my original distributor VJU 4 BR 3T from the 010 I had been using. This distributor was original with the dished top pistons 6.1 compression. Does anyone know what the the timing and jetting should be when running this dist with flat top pistons? I swear I saw a chart on here somewhere but cant find it.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
I recently switched back to my original distributor VJU 4 BR 3T from the 010 I had been using. This distributor was original with the dished top pistons 6.1 compression. Does anyone know what the the timing and jetting should be when running this dist with flat top pistons? I swear I saw a chart on here somewhere but cant find it.

Found this for the timing. Looks like 2.5° BTDC with today's cheap gas. Still not sure about jetting.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

Is your cheap gas below 80? Ours is 87.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I think ours probably is too. It's been so long since I've been to a gas pump. I know there are two different ways to measure octane, not sure which method was used for this chart. I'm going to set it at 5°BTDC and see how it does.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I think ours probably is too. It's been so long since I've been to a gas pump. I know there are two different ways to measure octane, not sure which method was used for this chart. I'm going to set it at 5°BTDC and see how it does.

I was wondering if it's the other rating system too.
If it is, the 80 would be even lower for the USA.
For example, their "91" octane is our 87 octane.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

Am I correct in assuming that the advance curve is different on the early 36hp distributors to correspond with the lower compression of the dished pistons? Did they dial back total advance with the introduction of the flat top pistons to avoid detonation and hotter cylinder head temps from the higher compression?
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that the advance curve is different on the early 36hp distributors to correspond with the lower compression of the dished pistons? Did they dial back total advance with the introduction of the flat top pistons to avoid detonation and hotter cylinder head temps from the higher compression?

Just to follow up on this I found when my BR3T was static timed at 7.5 degrees BTC the total advance was 34-35 degrees BTC. When static timed at 5 degrees BTDC total advance was at 32 BTDC. I left it at 5 degrees BTDC and it runs perfect.
the boss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

Hello ,can anybody confirm me that the uterus manifold have to be painted in black please ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Red aircleaner 1955 Reply with quote

What years was the aircleaner red inside?
The red are stamped 55-2, 55-5, 55-6 and the black is 1957.

Tempie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

My 12/54 Mann oil bath filter is also oxide red internally

Visit the Standard Split and Oval Beetle group!!

VW Standard Split and Oval Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

This is my July 55 bus motor. What is and isn’t correct please? I shan’t be offended by any advice 😊

I have a spare fan housing if I cannot straighten this one out. I assume it had aircon or similar given the extra brackets.

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

Fuel pump, crank pulley, distributor (probably) and tinware appear correct.

What is wrong:
- oil filler
- carburetor (early 40hp)
- generator/pulley
- oil pressure switch
- missing ignition wire tube/clamps
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Reply with quote

Thanks 😊
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil bracket differences Reply with quote

transportertalkman wrote:
Any light to be shined on the different coil brackets. Both Bosch, one has notched ears where it mounts to the fan shroud. Also the same one only has a single hole on one side above the clamping screw

Any answers to the old offset slotted coil bracket question? I found one in my stash & curious what it's for.
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil bracket differences Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
transportertalkman wrote:
Any light to be shined on the different coil brackets. Both Bosch, one has notched ears where it mounts to the fan shroud. Also the same one only has a single hole on one side above the clamping screw

Any answers to the old offset slotted coil bracket question? I found one in my stash & curious what it's for.

This should depend on the exact date when the coil and bracket were made but I can’t tell exactly, should check some of my coils. There are also other differences of the brackets to be noticed. 52-53 brackets were usually painted and they have six tiny holes looking similar to the ones on the bracket of the earlier TL6/1 coils.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 32

Jump to: