Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AUX battery - relay SUREPOWER 1315 or YADINA combiner 100?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncro.sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: AUX battery - relay SUREPOWER 1315 or YADINA combiner 100? Reply with quote

Hey all,

So im starting to piece together a very basic aux battery system for my 89' GL. Re-wiring all interior lights, stereo, etc to run off the Aux battery. Also i figure a small inverter will be a nice addition.

I have decided on installing 4 UB12220 batteries under the drivers seat.
Anyone have any feedback on the best relay to use? Surefire or Yadina?

I noticed the Yadina comes pre-wired which is nice. Although i have also read about issues others have had with the combiner 100 unit. Haven't heard much about the Surefire.

Also as far as inverters go, which are the best brands? Any opinions? Im looking for one anywhere from 1000w-2000w smaller the better..
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the most hotly debated topics on this forum so if you search you will find many answers to your questions. I would suggest that you consider the Sears Diehard P2 rather than the UB12220 set up, one battery is better than four, easier to install and they are warrantied, I have two of these.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508148&highlight=diehard

I personaly prefer the Yandina over the Surepower simply because it is smaller and has no exposed terminals and therefore has more mounting options, I think functionaly they are pretty much the same but again you will find many opinions if you search.
Hi-Top build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534517
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second shepherdsond on the UB12220s. That is what I have had for the last 3-4 years. I'm switching to either a Platinum P2 or group 31. The UB12220 set up has worked fine, but I'm not convinced that they are holding a charge. i would rather have the simplicity of one battery. It *is* a pain to get the four connected.

I have a Surepower 1314 in my van and a 1315 (in use 5 years) in my LandCruiser. Both have been trouble-free. You do have to be careful how you mount them. They are definitely larger than the Yandina and there is a big area of exposed hot 12v.
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
syncro.sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the input. At first i was bummed because i had already purchased the UB12220's online. But i got lucky and they sent the wrong ones! Woo hoo!
I Like the idea of one battery as well. And the Sear Diehard P2 looks like it fits the bill.
At first i was most interested in trying to get the most Amp Hrs i could with the minimal space under the driver's seat.
The UB12220's would have had 88 Amp Hrs and the Diehard 75 Amp Hrs.
Overall the ease of installation and overall longevity of the diehard won me over. I have read to many poor things regarding the life of the UB12220's.

I also decided to go with the Yandina Combiner 100. I was kind to sketched out when i first tried to order from their website. It looked as if it was made in the 90's and i couldn't secure a payment through paypal. They ended up calling me and we got it figured out. Thought this was pretty unconventional.

Anyone have any recommendations on a great quality inverters? I figure i will just wire in a separate battery tender so i do not need the charging feature.
Smaller the better
Powering 1500w-2000w

Any ideas?[/quote]
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncro.sickness wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations on a great quality inverters? I figure i will just wire in a separate battery tender so i do not need the charging feature.
Smaller the better
Powering 1500w-2000w

I'm not sure what you'd like to run with a 1500 watt inverter, but you might wish to crunch the numbers...

1500 watts into an inverter means that at 12 volts, it's pulling about 125 amps. Your proposed Diehard P2 is rated at 75 A/H, and you should only discharge it to 50% of it's capacity. That means it offers ~38 usable A/H, and will be discharged in ~18 minutes at 125 amps.

I was enamored with the thought a a microwave oven in my van, but then realized it would take at least a couple of large aux batteries and a solar panel to be practical. Too expensive in terms of both space and money for my budget!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: