Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 axels???
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: 67 axels??? Reply with quote

I have a 67 and the pass side axel is bad, I would like to replace it. Is the 67 axels a one year only bit or can I use anything? I have a nother trany but I think it came from a 64-65 bug. can I use one out of a 68?
The splines are going bad.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jumex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '67 also, and I've been told they are "long" axles, and pre '67's have short ones.
My .02

-------DSSK!-------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooledberndoggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 67 trans "drum to drum" from this german dude who has driven Volkswagens since he was a kid in Germany. He told me that he likes the "67" trans and axles cause they are 1 inch wider on each side to kick your rear wheels out for more stability. Then he parked one of his 67's next to my 66. I never realised the 67's were wider; but it is a big difference in stock form. Thought that was kinda cool to find out. So youre gonna have to use 2 66 axles {they will fit} or 2 67 axles.
Peace!...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but if I go with early axels wont i run into a problem with my tire rubbing on the inside. I forgot to say that the bug has ben lowerd to about 2.5" off the ground.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: 67 axels??? Reply with quote

You need 67 axles , 68 are the same length over all , but the splines for the drums are different length . 66 down axles will work , only if you also change the axle tubes , and you tire would not rub on the inside if you do this swap , unless you have a real wide tire (210 or wider) , I had 205 65 15's with short axles , no rubbing . TROY
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
renderit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

66 down are short/short. Short axle, short spline. 67 is long/short. Long axle, short spline. 68 is long/long. Long axle, long spline.

67 is one year only. But not to hard to find.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: