Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Exhaust Tail Pipe Clamp Issue
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Stock Exhaust Tail Pipe Clamp Issue Reply with quote

Yeah, not the most slick thread title, but I finally bought myself a stock exhaust for the bus and connected it all up and I'm thrilled with how nice it sounds and clean it looks.

However, right where the tail pipe fits into the muffler itself...it appears as though the clamp supplied isn't sealing and I'm getting some exhaust blow-by there. There aren't any pieces missing from when I assembled it. I just want to see if anyone has any ideas on how to solve this. I might be able to shoot a picture later during lunch and get it up here.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High heat silicon under the donut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type2meister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that brazing it with an oxy-acetylene torch is the easiest way to seal this up at the joint. If it needs to come off you can heat it up again with a torch and twist it off. I don't know if you have access to a torch setup, but it works great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most clamp kits dont's have the correct donut in them, as you have found out. That donut is actually smaller than the other exhaust donuts.

So what do you do? A 40/36 hp donut is the correct size.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Well, Crofty's answer sounds ideal! Sadly, I haven't access to a torch of any kind...unless you're British and then I have plenty. Smile

Anyone have a 36/40hp donut? Plain, not creme filled.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=267551

WW has them as well.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
Aha! Well, Crofty's answer sounds ideal! Sadly, I haven't access to a torch of any kind...unless you're British and then I have plenty. Smile

If you bought the tailpipe install kit the correct donut is in that kit. The new resonater pipes are a little smaller diameter then original ones where they go into the muffler,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, Sean! You're just a well of useful links today! Smile

splitpile wrote:
If you bought the tailpipe install kit the correct donut is in that kit. The new resonater pipes are a little smaller diameter than original ones where they go into the muffler.

So you're saying I may have just put the wrong donut on?

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
NorCalRiviera wrote:

If you bought the tailpipe install kit the correct donut is in that kit. The new resonater pipes are a little smaller diameter then original ones where they go into the muffler,

The last time i bought an install kit I had to go through 4 of them just to find one that had the donut!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely! I'll see about ordering up some 36/40s to be on the safe side.

avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Most clamp kits dont's have the correct donut in them, as you have found out. That donut is actually smaller than the other exhaust donuts.

Could this be the reason that tailpipes sometimes blow out of the stock muffler with a new clamp installed?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avocado_tom wrote:
crofty wrote:

Could this be the reason that tailpipes sometimes blow out of the stock muffler with a new clamp installed?

Inquiring minds want to know...

The short, no.

Problem is the TP silencer when it is bent at the manufacture is not anywhere near a perfect circle, much more an oval which does not help.

Other problem is most folks seem to not know of the later 40HP and all 1500/1600 bracket on the left side of the muffler to hold the silencer. Without that and that the pipe is not shaped right, the dough nut seal is not going to hold well enough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: