Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reproduction Westfalia hitch installed!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reproduction Westfalia hitch installed! Reply with quote

Thanks to Thom Fitzpatrick of Vintagebus.com, I got an early birthday present – one of his reproduction Westy hitches! I was going to buy one anyway, but this was even better.

First off, my Singlecab had some issues with bending of the transmission carrier – it looked as if at some point in its life someone had chained up to that area and dragged something or the bus had been forcibly dragged backwards by the carrier. Thankfully, some heat and a bigass pair of Channellocks took care of the bending.

After that, the install was fairly straight forward – mount up the bumper bracket side mounts, hang the hitch, install the U-bolts over the torsion tube, tighten everything up a bit, drill 4 holes for the carrier mounting points, tighten more, finally drill two holes for the bumper mount and cinch everything up tight. Took about an hour after fixing the bent carrier.

The hitch is built like a brick sh#thouse – I’m sure it’s capable of towing more than the bus could handle. And comparing the repro hitch to Thom’s original, I’m sure it’s stronger since the hitch ball section is solid instead of hollow and the main runners are made of box tubing rather than C-channel.

All in all, it’s a nice piece. I’d been looking for a long time for an original one, but they never seemed to come up for sale. This is the next best thing (and in some ways better).

Here are a few pics of the install:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Are you gonna reseal your rxd boxes while your in there? LOL

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

LOL...I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention that! Yes, it's on my to-do list. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
crofty wrote:

LOL...I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention that! Yes, it's on my to-do list. Embarassed

LOL!
It was my one year wedding anniversary on Monday so if he or anyone else wants to gift me a hitch, PM me!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
It was my one year wedding anniversary on Monday so if he or anyone else wants to gift me a hitch, PM me!

Looks like you are already hitched, for better or for worse.

In a few years, when she starts to fill out, you'll need one of these to tow her around Smile
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
crofty wrote:

Looks like you are already hitched, for better or for worse.

In a few years, when she starts to fill out, you'll need one of these to tow her around Smile

LOL Shocked She'll need it for me, more than likely!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: