Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant pressure tester
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Coolant pressure tester Reply with quote

Has anyone had any luck with renting a coolant system pressure tester from a flaps? Autozone rents tools, but since my 83 westy doesn't use a standard coolant cap, I'm curious as to whether they would have an adaptor that just screws on like the blue cap. I'm asking here first because the counter jockey doesn't speak the best english and has never heard of a Vanagon.

jamie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure tester connects to nipple on the cap of the pressurized reservoir to the left (looking from the rear) of the refill tank.

The cap on this tank will hold up to 15 psi going out of the system, but there is another valve in the cap that allows coolant to move into the system from the fill tank when the engine cools. Otherwise the radiator would collapse.

Inflate with something like a bicycle pump. A compressor will send too much air too fast. If there is no air in the system you may only need to pump a couple of times. 12 psi should be sufficient to find leaks.

Regards,
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceye wrote:
Pressure tester connects to nipple on the cap of the pressurized reservoir to the left (looking from the rear) of the refill tank.

The cap on this tank will hold up to 15 psi going out of the system, but there is another valve in the cap that allows coolant to move into the system from the fill tank when the engine cools. Otherwise the radiator would collapse.

Inflate with something like a bicycle pump. A compressor will send too much air too fast. If there is no air in the system you may only need to pump a couple of times. 12 psi should be sufficient to find leaks.

Regards,
Ric

Can we just connect the bike pump hose to the nipple and watch the gauge? Did I read that correct?
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if there is no leakage between the cap and the pump. The pressure valve in the cap will keep the system pressure from reading on the gauge. The vacuum valve will be closed after the air is pumped in. Squeezing the hoses will give you a reasonable idea of system pressure.

Don't over pressurize!

Regards,
Ric

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through the cap nipple for a pressure test isn't the right way to do the job.

You'll have to come up with a tank cap adapter.

I have the correct Snap-On adaptor just for this job.

If you want the tool number I'll get it outa my tool box and get it for you tonight.

The pressure tester from the "Zone" is the right way to go--but you'll need to use the right expansion tank adaptor to get the proper pressure into the system ( and hold it) to test it right.
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also thinking of pulling a vacuum on the system to around 10-12 lbs. I can see the bubbles run into the pressure tank while runs, so I'm really just trying to confirm a bad head gasket and which side it's coming from. I'm probably wasting my time and just need to do both heads.

jamie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm also thinking of pulling a vacuum on the system to around 10-12 lbs.

Don't pull a vacuum on your cooling system. It is designed to handle pressure, not vacuum. This can damage components, particularly the radiator.

Quote:
Going through the cap nipple for a pressure test isn't the right way to do the job.

I didn't say this was the right way to pressure check your system, but it does work. You have to be careful.

Myself, I own a kit.

Regards,
Ric

jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vacuum is pressure - negative pressure. If a radiator can't handle 10 lbs. of vac., it can't handle 10 lbs of positive pressure. Pulling a vac will only collapse the rubber hoses.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and pull the vacuum. Its your radiator!

That is why they put the vacuum relief valve in the cap. This has been the standard since before overflow tanks. Even rubber hoses handle positive pressure, but collapse under negative (vacuum) pressure. Rubber bounces back. Metal does not.

Regards,
Ric

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: