Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color sand and Buffing Explained
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have a question. I did a rattlecan paint job on my car, and I am now wet sanding and polishing. It actually looks halfway decent.... I am wondering if it is worth clear coating with something? If so, what should I use?
VW Fact #128: Benefits of the Type III: better visibility, more space for people and objects, improved comfort, better roadhandling, reduced oversteer, less sensitivity to cross-winds, and more power.
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question as well. I'm working on cutting and buffing the paint on my 66 but want to know what method would work best for areas like the dash that a power buffer really isn't going to work?

Mike
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic, but here it goes...
If you buy a brand new car, is it feasible to cut and buff it? Can you add clear to the factory paint?
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is not recommended to cut and polish a new car. A new car typically has 2.5 - 3 mils of clear. A typlical color sand can remove 1 - 1.5 mils of clear, therefore leaving the vehicle without sufficient clear to protect the base coat and will result in a premature break-down of the clear. 2.5 - 3 mils of clear is really the least amount you want to have and still be able to manage normal polishing and care.

If you want to add clear, It requires a complete disassembly of the vehicle, sanding the entire car with 800 grit wet paper and being absolutely sure not to cut into the base coat anywhere!!! if you cut through, you would need to spot the base coat and completely refinish. I would not recommend this, as a refinished car is not a durable as any factory finish...period. The clear coats available for the aftermarket refinish indusry is not as good as the factory applied finish.

Here is a related article covering care of modern new car finishes:
http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/advanced-reconditioning-processes/detailing-water-based-paint.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.goodspeed wrote:
No it is not recommended to cut and polish a new car. A new car typically has 2.5 - 3 mils of clear. A typlical color sand can remove 1 - 1.5 mils of clear, therefore leaving the vehicle without sufficient clear to protect the base coat and will result in a premature break-down of the clear. 2.5 - 3 mils of clear is really the least amount you want to have and still be able to manage normal polishing and care.

If you want to add clear, It requires a complete disassembly of the vehicle, sanding the entire car with 800 grit wet paper and being absolutely sure not to cut into the base coat anywhere!!! if you cut through, you would need to spot the base coat and completely refinish. I would not recommend this, as a refinished car is not a durable as any factory finish...period. The clear coats available for the aftermarket refinish indusry is not as good as the factory applied finish.
Here is a related article covering care of modern new car finishes:
http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/advanced-reconditioning-processes/detailing-water-based-paint.html

Hope this helps
Jeremy Goodspeed
www.goodspeedmotoring.com

Thanks man! I had a feeling it was a bad idea. Just thought why not know for sure!
Johnny Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx soo much for posting this!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwrngr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw somewhere in this thread earlier someone talked about 3000 grit somewhere and said they didn't really see a need for it. Depending on who you talk to that is correct except that the 3000 grit paper will make it that much easier to buff out. And for the hard to reach spots if you use the small air angle grinder he showed with buffing pads on it you can get the hard spots easy.

Well that's my 2 cents.
crzyboy180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent a msg to the author of this thread, but seems he hasnt been online for months.
Anyone have an idea what color he is working on?
Looks like a darker sea foam green, but i dont know.

Anyone know the color i would appreciate a PM
Thanx
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Java Green?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crzyboy180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw tones of java looking back, but im not convinced, maybe a darker Turkis?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a full size photo of the car I found in his Gallery
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=311979
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In this photo, yes, it sort of looks like a darker Turquoise.

I don't think this car is a VW color at all though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty160
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all! I have read this thread a few times and am still confused about something. I have painted with a single stage metallic acrylic enamel. I understand about not color sanding the metalic but can I spray a few coats of acrylic enamel clear and then sand? Or am I stuck with what I have. There is some orange peel and a little texture in the paint that I would like to get rid of. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can sand the clear as explained on this thread, so long as you don't sand all the way down to the color coat.
rusty160
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fabforfan, but I guess what I am asking is do I color sand the color w/metalic and then spray clear or spray clear and sand.
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I understand, you are not suppose to sand the mettalic basecoat. you use the clear to build up enough material to cover the mettalic base and sand the clear flat. If the orange peel is a bit bad you can wetsand in between clear coats to knock down the orange peel so you don't build it up to much.
If the mettalic is too bad, you can sand it but you must respray base and then clear.
(I think) If it were non metallic you would be able to sand the base and then clear.
rusty160
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
volksgroove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty160 wrote:
Thanks fabforfan, but I guess what I am asking is do I color sand the color w/metalic and then spray clear or spray clear and sand.

You cannot spray clear over unprepared surface, or it will peel off in sheets.
You need to color sand the orange peel out of your single stage Metallic with 600-800, then reapply two thin coats of the metallic first. By color sanding you will be cutting into the metallic and you don't want to trap that under the clear. If it were me, I would buy an inexpensive acrylic urethane clear and top coat with that over the fresh coats of metallic. Not sure what product line you are using, but I highly recommend BASF's Limco Supreme Plus basecoat, followed by Limco LC4000 clear. It is acrylic enamel base coat with acrylic urethane clear. You can paint an entire bug for around $350-400 in paint. Clear lays out beautifully with 1.4 tip at 35psi or so... By cutting peel out of your first paint job and applying a couple quick coats of color, your clear should lay down nice and smooth. This will make your final color sand and buff much easier, and you won't need to remove so much material. Pay close attention to anywhere you sanded too much of your first metallic away... add a few extra coats of color in these areas so your final color is consistent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted one of my buses and it looked real bad. Read this and went for it! I used a ryobi 5" electric sander and a H F polisher wit variable speed. My paint is acrylic enamel in kansas beige.
Sanded with 1000, then 1200. Polished with meguiars 105, then 205. Finally meguiars poly sealant.
Very pleased. The paint looks stunning!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a recommended number of coats needed for color sanding? Also, does color sanding take the place of clear coat or can clear just go over the orange peel?

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Color sand and Buffing Explained Reply with quote

the paint looks like Volkswagen Turquoise code 95588 year 1960.

Thanks Great information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: