Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why are Ghias undervalued?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
thom wrote:
Um, $13k and you don't even get doors, or a (ghia) pan, or interior????

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=347745

He dropped it from $15000? Cool.

Maybe he meant $1300 Shocked

I hate when people try to sell things online with no pictures
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghia Nut wrote:
Retrowagen, you do understand that once you start selling this book, this could potentialy make our cars more valuable plus harder to get due to rise in demand of your book right?
Embarassed

It's going to happen sooner than later at least for the lowlight cabs Cool

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghia Nut wrote:
Retrowagen, you do understand that once you start selling this book, this could potentialy make our cars more valuable plus harder to get due to rise in demand of your book right?
Embarassed

If nothing else, it might cut down on some of the BS. While I'm pretty new to ghias, the tall tales I've heard in the bus community from sellers trying to explain away various hacks would make Douglas Adams blush.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itty bitty splitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghia prices in australia have ranged from fairly reasonable to insane. The supply and demand here is due to not alot of ghias that were landed here. I have an original right hand drive december 61 vert. I am currently chasing a 1200cc motor and some tiny bits to finish. I have a theory that all hand built coachworked cars will ALWAYS increase in demand. We just dont make a style of car that is a classic with these georgous lines.. Cool Cool
Roark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Ghias in OZ Reply with quote

Itty... you say that a lot of Ghias made their way to Austrialia.. is there a reason for that? Were they especially popular there Question
vw (o\!/o) nut
Samba Member

Location: Wisconsin - Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias in OZ Reply with quote

Roark wrote:
Itty... you say that a lot of Ghias made their way to Austrialia.. is there a reason for that? Were they especially popular there Question

You may want to read his post again... carefully.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones 53 wrote:
Quote:
I have a lot of pics and will likely put them in the gallery.

I have done all the work other than the tranny and paint. The tranny was built by KCR and the paint by a local shop.

Still waiting, anxiously Very Happy

Can you tell me what size tires and rims you have on

your car?
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

So where are we now almost 12 years after the last post?

In a recent thread (Trying to get some idea what it's worth before I sell it) asking what a Ghia is worth a range of $3,500 to $38,500 was floated with supporting links to The Samba Classifieds. It looks like to some degree we are approaching the $35,000 mark that museum pieces could not fetch in 2006 ...maybe.

I searched for all Ghia ads on TS on 7-6-18 and got an average selling price for the first 50 out of 224 results of $10,154.48 with a median price of $9000 and a range of $1,500 to $39,000. I took the raw numbers (Euros or Dollars) and added "Zeros" for the ads with "ASK" for the price. I know the method is not scientific or the results highly credible but it's a loose indicator of the current market on TS.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

The real reason that KGs are still good value in the "Coachbuilt World" IMO is that they don't have the "sporting heritage" or "Snob appeal" of a Porsche. Nor do they have "Snob appeal" even within our own VW family despite being the most beautiful design of all aircooled VWs. Why is that? Possibly because of the enduring chauvinistic, hairy-chested, Neanderthal attitude, that it's a "woman's car."

However if they're the attitudes that continue to make our favourites affordable...long may they continue. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

There's one market factor that might start elevating the prices of Karmann Ghias and that's the soaring prices being asked for a very similar car: The Porsche 356. They're changing hands for nearly 10X the price of a Ghia in similar condition, with very nice driver-quality coupes selling in the $60-$80K range.

As more & more people get priced out of the 356 market, we may see them turn to the next best thing...the Karmann Ghia. If people other than regular VW enthusiasts start buying up Ghias, the prices will rise...and they could rise quickly. A similar thing happened in the early Porsche 911 market. All of a sudden, everyone wanted one and prices for average-quality cars shot up three-fold in just a very short time.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

However, it’s downright insulting when someone sees yours & thinks that they’re throwing out a great number by offering to buy yours for $2,000. Yeah, it may be ugly, but there’s more than that in the tires & suspension (and I’m the fool that went the other direction & raised it.).

Just for future reference...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

Porsche buyers will not buy Ghias as an alternative, other then the fact that they built some models of 356 and 912s along side each other at Karmann, they really have nothing in common. I've seen a lot of Porsche guys with split buses, but not with Ghias.
The real big money market would be non VW collectors who are looking for something unique and undervalued but with the potential of status and value growth. Problem is someone has to lead the charge and that hadn't happened yet and may never until current owners start taking the brand seriously meaning doing legit restorations.
Thats what happened with 356 and 912s. It was the enthusiasts who spent money and time on a cars no one took seriously until they did and the values shot up.
I've said it before but Ghia owners are our own worse enemy when it comes to the cars getting respect,

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

Alot of new collectors have been getting into the Porsche 914's as they are a Porsche and sporty especially the 2.0L cars. I have both and the driving experience is night vs day with the 914 a way better road car in fact it loves high speeds vs the Ghia which at 70 mph is my limit.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Porsche buyers will not buy Ghias as an alternative
You're quite right. A Porsche buyer...someone with the means to buy a 356 or 912, or even an early 911...wouldn't be interested in a Ghia. I'm talking about a non-Porsche/VW guy wanting to gain entrance into the early air-cooled German car scene but can't afford any of the offerings from Porsche, including the 914.

Braukuche wrote:
...they really have nothing in common.
Well, that's not entirely true. Both 356s and Karmann Ghias have hand-finished bodies and are primarily two-seaters; both are powered by rear-mounted, air-cooled, horizontally opposed 4 cyl. engines of similar design; both have 4-speed swing-axle transaxles; both use torsion bar suspensions, front & rear; all but the latest models have drum brakes all around; convertible versions of both have true cabriolet tops, etc, etc.
Am I saying that a Karmann Ghia is in the same class as a Porsche 356? No, I'm not. Porsches were (and still are) designed to cope with the demands of high-speed driving, with an emphasis on handling, safety and durability, and are true 'sports cars' by any definition. Karmann Ghias, on the other hand, were designed to be stylish cruisers and nothing more.
Better build quality, more robust engineering and a more sporting driving experience will always give a Porsche 356 the edge over a Karmann Ghia, but there's no denying that they do share some similar DNA.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

Modified VW's have been around as long as pure stock VW's. I'd hate to see only strictly "pure" VW's as the only approved direction for the hobby.
Anyway, how much have the Ghia's appreciated since 2006?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Modified VW's have been around as long as pure stock VW's. I'd hate to see only strictly "pure" VW's as the only approved direction for the hobby.

That will never happen while there is a steady supply of affordable project cars. The Classifieds are full of Ghias in need of rescue. If you spend comparatively little on restoration apart from your own time there will always be people who want to put their own stamp on a car.
Onceler wrote:

When my '58 appeared for sale in 2007 people here said you should make an offer of $7000. Stock one lady owner from new, not perfect but no rust.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

Having completed a '66 Ghia restoration I thought to try my hand at a 356C restoration and I have to say the Ghia is a much better design when it comes to rust. The 356 is totally a rust bucket with mud hugging crevices that spawn rust in all the wrong places. This particular 356 even has had rust cut out of its roof!
If you want to look at my 356, just click the link in my signature block and see how much remediation it sucks up.

With such a volume of extra work, a car needs to valuable to bother with at all. So a 356, with all it petrol head, racing nut, high performance charm ( despite a lack thereof) is desired by people who simply want to own one and have the money to pay for it. I met one such guy at a dinner party a few months ago. He just paid $200K(AUD) for a 356C cabriolet that needed another $20K (AUD) worth of work to make it road worthy. He is wealthy and wanted to be seen in what is his idea of a really cool car. His money, his perception, his car. And he wasn't interested in any of the mechanical or technical details. The message he wanted to project in this car is "I'm loaded, I have this really cool car,so I'm better than you". Status and perhaps, it can be argued, frail ego. Or a shrewd investor?

There are people who would pay over $100K for an L series Stratocaster or '57 Les Paul. Its brand perception that has much to do with it. An old Ibanez guitar doesn't command such high prices because it isn't as well regarded. That sets the modus operandi for the investment market.

Similarly, a Ghia doesn't have that attraction despite being a much better looking vehicle and, as I can attest, one that is better built. It also doesn't have as much nostalgia value as a kombi. It lacks status, except with those that love them. Us. I believe the Ghia will continue to rise in value but will always lag the prices of the desirable marques.

As for my 356, I'm not that much of a fan of the marque. The project is just a fun project and an investment. If I find someone at a dinner party who might like to buy it for more than I've sunk into it, then it will be sold. I like my Ghia much more because it attracts a whole different kind of attention and that holds value for me.

Nicholas
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Onceler wrote:

When my '58 appeared for sale in 2007 people here said you should make an offer of $7000. Stock one lady owner from new, not perfect but no rust...........

...........but worth many times that today. Not a fair comparison. Yours is a highly regarded "Low-Nose", and not an ordinary one like most of us ended up with. Crying or Very sad
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Onceler wrote:

When my '58 appeared for sale in 2007 people here said you should make an offer of $7000. Stock one lady owner from new, not perfect but no rust...........

...........but worth many times that today. Not a fair comparison. Yours is a highly regarded "Low-Nose", and not an ordinary one like most of us ended up with. Crying or Very sad

Yeah but hindsight makes fools of us all. I don't recall a universal love of "Low-Nose" Ghias back then, they were within the reach of most Ghia enthusiasts.

This wasn't an investment for me, it was just what I was looking for so paying $2k over the odds wasn't difficult...I would have paid more.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Ghias undervalued? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Possibly because of the enduring chauvinistic, hairy-chested, Neanderthal attitude, that it's a "woman's car."

It's funny, but I feel like that attitude pervades even the ACVW community itself. I was in a VW show back in January with my 67 Ghia, and there were a bunch of "bros" and machismo type dudes hanging around their slammed patina beetles, which were there in abundance. The handful of Ghias that were in the show didn't draw that same crowd around them.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: