Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why are Ghias undervalued?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwdmc16 wrote:
I'm going to reno today, maybe I could get in contact w/ him and take a look at it with more pics

Check to see if the front seats have "flipper" cam seatback adjusters, or a screw adjustment mechanism. "Inquiring minds want to know..."
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
Yes, it's on my computer here at home. Hope to get it typeset, published, and in bookstores soon...

I don't know if you were serious Dave but as someone who is a serious greenhorn as far as Ghias are concerned and itching to spend some money on an early Ghia...I need that guide Smile I'm sure other Ghia vigins would appreciate it too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that Lizard Green color, though! Cool[/quote]

True Dat!! Cool
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
retrowagen wrote:
Yes, it's on my computer here at home. Hope to get it typeset, published, and in bookstores soon...

I don't know if you were serious Dave but as someone who is a serious greenhorn as far as Ghias are concerned and itching to spend some money on an early Ghia...I need that guide Smile I'm sure other Ghia vigins would appreciate it too.

Yes, I am in earnest. I've been working on this project in my spare time for the last six years. My notes are 95% complete, I have begun photography, and am looking for an interested publisher.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
retrowagen wrote:

Yes, I am in earnest. I've been working on this project in my spare time for the last six years. My notes are 95% complete, I have begun photography, and am looking for an interested publisher.

That's good news Dave but I'm sure you're under no illusion that the last bit, (finding a publisher) is going to be the biggest challenge.

There must be a lot of Sambanistas out there with publishing connections Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Publishing options Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
retrowagen wrote:

Retro... seems like there's be a market. With the right illustration, it might have a wide audience. With the internet... there are many options on publishing now.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:

Quote:
For 30k you would think that one might wipe a rag around the engine to make it look a little more presentable:

Hey, those are "original" oil drips. Wiping them away would take away from the originality!
kimosullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
retrowagen wrote:

Sweet! I'd buy two copies. One for me, and one for the shop that's going to restore mine.

Have you looked for publishers yet? I know there are printers (t-shirts, mugs, etc) that do short run production. (http://www.cafepress.com/) There must be book publishers doing the same sort of thing. In fact, I know some of the big kids (Wiley?) are publishing on demand for academic texts. It's not like the printer has to set type or make plates to print a book anymore. Just take the digital image of the book off the hard drive and send it to the laser printer.

Keep up the work, and Good luck!
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
vwdmc16 wrote:
I'm going to reno today, maybe I could get in contact w/ him and take a look at it with more pics

Check to see if the front seats have "flipper" cam seatback adjusters, or a screw adjustment mechanism. "Inquiring minds want to know..."

what else in paticular should I snoop for? I'm not a big lowlight buff

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwdmc16 wrote:
retrowagen wrote:
vwdmc16 wrote:

what else in paticular should I snoop for? I'm not a big lowlight buff

Most of the really obvious super-duper early Lowlight stuff is obvious in the photos of that car that we've already seen... underdash knobs for the vent controls, heater vents way far forward, different hinge design for lids and doors (OK, I couldn't see the door hinges in the pix, but those should be a little different than the later early cars [non "-duper" but still super!])... Maybe take a couple pix of the Oil Bath Air Filter Cannister (thanx Thom) for general circulation; that's a pre-March 1956 oddity that is rarer than a hen's bicuspid.

You might also off-handedly but sensitively ask whether this car was the one ex-Harrah's Collection lizard green lowlight that was (around seven years ago) advertised for sale for - brace yourselves - $75,000. If jawohl, then this is obviously a bargain basement price, no?

Thanks! And have fun. And wish the vendor well - there aren't enough optimistic people left in this world Smile
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
Maybe take a couple pix of the Oil Bath Air Filter Cannister (thanx Thom) for general circulation;

This is what I thoguht you meant at first, not that this wouldn't be a great upgrade for a 36hp!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrowagen's earlier post on the "wingnut air cleaner" (term I use):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1612673#1612673

On the "oil filter cannister," I think a more common term used is "oil bath air cleaner" or just "air cleaner".

They were used on Buses primarily, so they can be found. For me, I check every 36hp air cleaner at every swap meet for a wingnut. I've seen ~10 over the past few years.

Example:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=12468

There is more than 1 style as well but I haven't documented it. I believe the one above is the only one that would appear on a Ghia as the others are for Barndoor Single Cabs and typically have a 29A part #.

For Bus enthusiasts, this is typically classified as a "Wolfsburg" part, which appears to agree with the previously stated usage through February, 1956.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Retrowagen's earlier post on the "wingnut air cleaner" (term I use):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1612673#1612673

On the "oil filter cannister," I think a more common term used is "oil bath air cleaner" or just "air cleaner".

They were used on Buses primarily, so they can be found. For me, I check every 36hp air cleaner at every swap meet for a wingnut. I've seen ~10 over the past few years.

Example:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=12468

There is more than 1 style as well but I haven't documented it. I believe the one above is the only one that would appear on a Ghia as the others are for Barndoor Single Cabs and typically have a 29A part #.

For Bus enthusiasts, this is typically classified as a "Wolfsburg" part, which appears to agree with the previously stated usage through February, 1956.

GREAT stuff, Ev! Thanks for the tutorial from the Transporter point of view. I couldn't myself say with much authority in that prior thread whether the earliest KG air cleaner assembly was the same as the concurrent bus unit, not being much of a Transporter expert at all (the earliest Type 2 I've owned and/or worked on was an April 1957 Kastenwagen, a Hannover bus, and it didn't have its original engine... http://www.copellos.biz/gallery/kastenwagen.htm).
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for $5k more than the NV ghia, you can get the one that Lenny put together: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=345610
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We discussed that car a while ago: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151646&highlight=lizard
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. And I was already picking out a retirement condo in Florida...
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, $13k and you don't even get doors, or a (ghia) pan, or interior????

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=347745

late 59 Ghia vert - 13000
This Ghia is Very rare... it has the slant nose front end. some minor body work needed. does not have doors. comes with top and bumpers. no interior, only gauges. sitting on 57 bug pan. ready for your tlc. also have a 71 ghia pan with good doors and front end. comes with attatched motor. throw in extra cash for it. no pictures... come and see them!!!

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
72Coupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
I bought a ghia because I finally came to terms with - and accepted - the fact that I am indeed a lesbian.

I heard a comic once say, " I just realized that I am a woman trapped inside a man's body! It took a while to figure it out because I'm a lesbian"

LOL, Your comment brought that right back to the front of my memory.
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrowagen, you do understand that once you start selling this book, this could potentialy make our cars more valuable plus harder to get due to rise in demand of your book right?
Embarassed
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Um, $13k and you don't even get doors, or a (ghia) pan, or interior????

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=347745

He dropped it from $15000? Cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: