Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

I am starting this thread here, because i have a dormobile roof waiting to get on the bus for 1,5 years now and it is time to start getting the roof ready so it can be put on the bus next spring.

Here are a couple of pictures of the dormobile as it was when i picked it up from the UK.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bus, when i was picking up the roof in the UK.

I started this thread to share my progress, but more important i started it so that if i had any Questions i could ask them here.
That said, here is my first question.

The roof i bought was from a T2, i know i have to adjust the top a bit so it fits the curve better. But will the frame fit right in the roof, or do i need to adjust that as well?

The main reason i am converting the bus into a dormobile bus is because we are now travelling around europe with 5 people, my girl and 3 daughters.
So we really needed the extra bunkbeds Very Happy Very Happy

You can also fullow us on Instagram at: http://www.instagram.com/5ofusinabus

Last edited by wakebus on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:56 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

Don't see any pictures, perhaps uploading them on the site in your gallery would be better.
wakebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

Fixed the images!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

Pretty sure there is at least one thread on here that shows how they did the conversion, perhaps "pyroman" was the poster?

Also if I remember correctly all original Dormobiles have belly pans added to the chassis to compensate for the giant hole in the upper structure. I would definitely think about that with the whole family on board... you can get them from places like autocraft uk I imagine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

Dormobiles are awesome!! Nice score.
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

I've seen that bus and roof before! Very Happy
Good luck with the conversion!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Pretty sure there is at least one thread on here that shows how they did the conversion, perhaps "pyroman" was the poster?

Also if I remember correctly all original Dormobiles have belly pans added to the chassis to compensate for the giant hole in the upper structure. I would definitely think about that with the whole family on board... you can get them from places like autocraft uk I imagine...

Indeed! I'll link to my thread in a bit. And yes also on the belly pans, they are a must have for sure!!! Shocked

You can now order the belly pans from a couple of sources or maybe make them yourself as I did. Good luck with the project! Cool

Project D finalized!

Edit: For some unknown reason quite a few of the text and pictures are NOT showing on my old thread! Confused

I'll try to update it by reposting my pix which are in the gallery here. Cool
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

wakebus wrote:
I am starting this thread here, because i have a dormobile roof waiting to get on the bus for 1,5 years now and it is time to start getting the roof ready so it can be put on the bus next spring.

Next spring??? Shocked

I don't know what your schedule is but why wait so long? Though it took me a few days to clean and prep, once I had all the needed parts and pieces I did the install in 8 days. Granted, that was 8 straight days from sun up to sundown though. Oh, wait! if you are in the UK then your "8 days" of sun may come in a day per month! Laughing

Anyways, feel free to ask any questions on it. There are at least 2 more people here that have done this too. Again, good luck with it! Cool
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

There was another thread on the same conversion done a few years back. Do you know if your Dormo roof came off of a split window bus or bay?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595892&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wakebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

Next spring??? Shocked

Anyways, feel free to ask any questions on it. There are at least 2 more people here that have done this too. Again, good luck with it! Cool

Haha, next spring because i have 3 kids, of which the youngest new 4 months is. And i run my own company, so also quite busy with that.

And i am not going to drive the van in the winter anyway, as you said here next to UK in the netherlands the sun is out ones a month.

I just want to roof to be ready to install in in 2 days, with the help of Xavi_242
wakebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Do you know if your Dormo roof came off of a split window bus or bay?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595892&highlight=

It came from a bay!
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

Hi Michiel!

Nice you started your thread! Here you have mine:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342215

I saw you have the plastic trim, with is a pretty good thing to have!

Good luck!
wakebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:
Hi Michiel!

Nice you started your thread! Here you have mine:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342215

I saw you have the plastic trim, with is a pretty good thing to have!

Good luck!

I studied your thread like a 100 times all ready! Very Happy
I do have a plastic trim, and it is in good shape.

I will keep you updated, i will start getting the frame from the old roof these weeks, it was spot welded on Sad
wakebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

Is there anybody here who got or knows where I can find a template or the sizes for the wooden frame that is used to support the frame?
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

I believe they are of similar dimension as those of a normal westfalia, about 1.5 inches or so. The long side straight ones should be easy to get/make but the front and back "bows" may be a little harder to find or make. Confused
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

Clara makes something that would probably work

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1229943
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

or these https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1229717
wakebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Splitbus > Dormobile conversion Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Clara makes something that would probably work

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1229943

Thnx for the suggestions! but EeVeeWee got a pair of bows that i can copy and make a template from, i will also make a PDF from it so people can just print it,1:1.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: