Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can the semaphores be made to blink?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrisisw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the semaphores on my 54 oval to blink. I ran an additional power wire from the switch through a flasher relay and connected that directly to the bulb. So when the semahore switch is turned on, a constant power is sent to the arm to keep it up through the original wire, while the bulb receives the power through the additional wire that is linked to the flasher relay.

Works like a dream!

If you cannot run an additional wire to the bulb, you could also use the negative wire that is used to trigger the indicator light in the speedo. However, than this speedo indicator light will no longer go on when switching the semaphores on.

- You could live with this, as the flasher relay will make a click clacking sound that will let you know the semaphores are up.
- You can use a red tip indiator switch.
- You can rewire the speedo indicator light. I removed the positive copper connector that connects the to the indicator bulb housing. Instead I connected a negative wire to the indicator bulb housing. To the indicator light itself, I wired the original positive wire that is also used to get the semaphore arm up. Therefor the indicator light is turned on constantly when swtching on the semaphores, even when the semaphores themselves blink. This to give it the more authentic look.

Hope this makes sense.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen (can not recall where) in a vintage magazine...like one of the old Foreign Car Guides...an advertizment for bulbs made by Hella or one of the OEM manufactures...bulbs for semaphores that flashed. I would assume these worked similar to blinking x-mas tree bulbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
I have seen (can not recall where) in a vintage magazine...like one of the old Foreign Car Guides...an advertizment for bulbs made by Hella or one of the OEM manufactures...bulbs for semaphores that flashed. I would assume these worked similar to blinking x-mas tree bulbs.

Something like that, Rumor has it they will be available again but that's just what I herd.
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Here are some semaphores that "flip flop" up & down rapidly to simulate a flashing bulb.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you would get too many lady bug & fire fly jokes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldvolksguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it by making a really small electronic flasher relay and putting it in the lense,out of sight. The semafore stayed up and the light blinked!
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will get the semaphores flashing, provide blinkers, flashing dash indicator, and brake lights on early cars. This works great for splits. If you have an oval window, I would disable VW’s flasher system and run this setup. This assumes you are going 12 volt. I want to drive my split daily and need bright, 12 volt bulbs and definetly need rear brake lights. (before you wire your split, get an extra wire ran in the harness for each rear taillight--John Henry did mine and it came out bitchen).

You will need to purchase a 2-terminal flasher ($5).You will need dual-filament rear bulb holders as well as an extra wire ran in the wiring harness to go to the taillights out back. (for splits). Go to www.watsons-streetworks.com and go halfway down their VW page. You want #L 10-TSRP. ($50). Follow the wiring diagram that comes with it. You mount this 4 relay-pack under the front trunk liner behind the dash. Then get two 1-ohm 50 watt ceramic resistors (they're big—I ran mine under the cowl) to go from the semaphore switch outs to the semaphore. ($10 each). One on each side, 'cause you'll need the full 12 volts going to the switch for the flasher. You'll get exactly 6 volts going to your sema.

Here’s how it works:

The top post of the sema is for the wire that goes to the dash indicator light. (this is always ‘hot’, and grounds out at the sema when the arm is up to provide dash light).
The bottom post is for the wire from the switch that energizes the semaphore. (coil and bulb). You should have two wires going from the bottom post to the coil and bulb. You want to cut the white wire that goes up to the bulb at the bottom post, and attach it to the top post. Also, now you want to be sure to disable the little strap that grounds out the coil pin on the bottom of the sema coil as you do not want this now. With it disabled, you attach the bulb (white) wire to the top post, along with the dash bulb indicator wire in the harness.

Now, wire it so that when you turn the switch, (right or left), power (12v) comes out of the switch and goes thru the resistor (right or left), and to the bottom post of the respective semaphore using the existing semaphore wire in the harness. You get 6v, and the sema pops up.
Also, you branch off of the switch out (before the resistors), and go to the relay pack (it has two inputs for this-right and left). It will have two sets of ‘outs’, (right and left rear, and right and left front--I used the 'front'--the rears will be for rear blinkers.) Run the front outs(--left and right--) to the top posts of the semaphores, using the existing dash indicator wire in the harness, one to each sema, and now they flash.

You also want to branch off of each of these outs on the relay pack to two diodes( #4001—common diodes—50 cents). At the other end of the diodes tie them both together to a single wire leading to the indicator bulb in the dash, then ground it out behind the dash. (that way, no matter which side is activated, the single dash indicator bulb gets power, and current cannot go backwards through the other wire to the relays). Now the indicator bulb will flash.
As mentioned above, the relay pack has left and right front outputs, and left and right rear outputs. (At this point, you could branch off of the fronts and go to front blinkers as well). The ‘rear’ outs go to the rear bulb holders. This is for your rear blinkers. The relay pack has provisions for the flasher input, and the brake light switch input.

Now the semaphores go up, (6 volt), the semaphore bulb flashes (12v), along with the rear (and front) blinkers, and the indicator in your dash. All together. And brake lights. Cool, huh? The relay pack will distinguish between brake lights and flasher, allowing the flasher to override the brake lights when both are applied. (one on solid, the turn side blinking....). If you have any questions, PM me. It works great. Jim

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker

Last edited by Splitdog on Fri May 22, 2009 2:44 am; edited 3 times in total
oldvolksguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not real computer literate, but I can send a picture to your e-mail or maybe to this forum, if I can figure it out. The unit just fit up next to the pivot point of the unit and the installation required cutting one wire....to the bulb, to install!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinwindows wrote:
bastardbus wrote:

Something like that, Rumor has it they will be available again but that's just what I herd.
any news on this?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Nevada51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is link shows the ad has ended but these flashing LED bulbs used to be available
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=920353
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little on the pricy side, but here's what I'm using on my Thing/Kubel for my external-mount SHO's. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=704943

BNMike
kenbug67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Running snowflake Reply with quote

Hi all,
I assume most of you are using chip's wonderful product? I was looking at all the discussions on flashing semaphores.and LEDs and the wiring diagrams .. Seems to have flashing semaphores, flashing signal and the snowflake portion as the running light only .. It can't be done. Can some one help?? Seems the easiest way is for the snowflake to flash only and the stop / running lights to run same circuit...

I really want to have snowflake as the running lights and the the rest of the vertical LEDs (assume talking with respect to chips product) to work as signal/stop. Bearing in mind we are using flashing semaphores.. Did I confuse anyone?
Ken
JPB1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

LEDs http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/

Semaphores: 31mm AMBER FLASHING FESTOON BULB
Choose type: EA2D - 6v 31mm with 7mm pointed caps

Rear license plate light: WHITE FESTOON BULBS
Choose: Voltage and Size: 6v 36mm long ED2C

Heart tail lights and Hella Stop lights: 5W 12 LED BA15s RED
Choose Type: 6v BA15s Neg earth - AA2B

Front headlights, parking light: BA9s LED Bulb
Choose Voltage: 6/12v DIFFUSED - CE2B

Front Headlights: 5th generation H4 replacements (6V) – 6H4 5th Gen

DIPPED BEAM FIX KIT
Item# DBFK Choose Quantity: Buy 2 DBFK2

Reflector – semi-seal-beam
7" 6-Volt Stock Style H4 Headlight 55/60W 6V Halogen Super White Light Bulb Pair
https://www.octanelighting.com/
JPB1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

Could not load a video of the blinking Semaphores: 31mm AMBER FLASHING FESTOON BULB Choose type: EA2D - 6v 31mm with 7mm pointed caps (see below)

These are a simple remove out old bulb insert LED!

That simple - works great

LEDs http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/

Semaphores: 31mm AMBER FLASHING FESTOON BULB
Choose type: EA2D - 6v 31mm with 7mm pointed caps

Rear license plate light: WHITE FESTOON BULBS
Choose: Voltage and Size: 6v 36mm long ED2C

Heart tail lights and Hella Stop lights: 5W 12 LED BA15s RED
Choose Type: 6v BA15s Neg earth - AA2B

Front headlights, parking light: BA9s LED Bulb
Choose Voltage: 6/12v DIFFUSED - CE2B

Front Headlights: 5th generation H4 replacements (6V) – 6H4 5th Gen

DIPPED BEAM FIX KIT
Item# DBFK Choose Quantity: Buy 2 DBFK2

Reflector – semi-seal-beam
7" 6-Volt Stock Style H4 Headlight 55/60W 6V Halogen Super White Light Bulb Pair
https://www.octanelighting.com/
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

LED's in a vintage car? Crying or Very sad

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
15window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

I got my 6volt led flashing festoon bulbs for my semaphores from Greg at http://www.vintagewarehouse.com/store/index.php

Work great, very bright, and just plug and play, 5 min job Cool Cool
avw1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

On a 1959 with semaphores. I used two switches on the column. Easy reversible solution. I was going to run an extra wire to bulb in the semaphore. My concern is that the driver behind me would not have a clue what the flashing on the side was for.
JPB1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

Splitdog, solved a bad harness issue (original), makes it safer to drive at night, greatly lowers battery consumption (6V).

Can have the radio and full beams on without diming; use the technology out there to enhance the rideability/safety; everything is reversible back to stock if needed.

Alot of people said the same, offered suggestions to find the problem, nothing worked - this did; old cars are just old

[one day I'll do a harness replacement, not yet - with this stop gap measure]
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

My split is 12 volt, and I ran an extra wire in the rear harness for dual filament brake/running lights in the rear. Then a flashing circuit so my blinkers (rear only) and semaphore flash together. Light bulbs. Looks proper, and bright. (for a '51).....

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

I have a led blinking bulb on my 12v semaphores & they work great. You can also get 6v ones which I will put into my 6v split beetle once ready

Items purchased from vw just kamper in the UK
bluebeetle1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

I have been working on the flashing LED festoons for semaphores....
Once I have them ready to go I will post more info!
Should be reasonably priced too....

June 1957 "Big Window" Oval Beetle! Yes it does really exist....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: