Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Do You Carry for Parts and Spares?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

architect_7 wrote:
Captain Spalding, that is nice organization. Where did you get the compartment box?

Thanks for the kind words. I got the box at Fry's Electronics.

Quote:
. . . especially for off road vehicles, why not a folding shovel? I found that you can get them at military surplus stores, and the measure about 8" by 9" folded. I carry one no matter what the auto, and could be used for multiple things, including breaking out of an auto, digging the auto out, and building a fire pit.

A folding shovel is a compromise that you make when you have to carry the shovel on your back. For off-roading purposes, a nice 30 inch D-handle spade is just the ticket. Those folding jobs will let you down in the clinch. Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding, your welcome. Nice that you folks have a place to put one, and look good doing it! Smile I have a Square, so I could carry a non-folding but...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain, any pics of that Swimwagon on the left?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside the suitcase is where I carry my parts and next to it is my spare. Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=346025

Last edited by emersonbiggins on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
bucko wrote:
Was a flashlight mentioned? . . . Flashlight to light up the engine compartment at night.

Number 15 on my list. I've been toying with the idea of mounting a glove box light in the engine compartment . . .

I have a underhood emergency light from a mid 80's GM pickup. It has a 20 ft cord that winds up on a spool and the lamp has a magnetic base. Just run a hot wire to it. It's really compact and can mount in the trunk or in the engine compartment. Very handy.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overlooked necessity in bold:

bmwloco wrote:
I've travled far and wide on two wheels. Very minimalist contiental cruising.

Two things are critical:

A Tooth Brush
A credit card
Condoms

On one California to NC run, I duct taped both to the gas tank of my bike.
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Definitely add a rope and a shovel. Just make sure not to tell girls on the first date that you always carry that. For some reason one girl seemed intrigued.

You also need a first aid kit with extra instant ice packs for when you run out of ice for your beer.
Euro 67
Samba's 67 part whord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it yet, but what about that factory spare gas tank? that would come in handy if you run out of gas.

millerje78 wrote:
I'm no expert but I'm guessing the spike during cold running has everything to do with the roofing tar(20-50) in the crankcase.

bill may wrote:
...i could be wrong as i have only been driving air cooled beetles since august 1965.
califblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch cable, throttle cable( heave duty stranded wire kind...This is has been good for 10 years) some lugs, tow Strap, sip ties,starting fluid , folding shovel, 2' length of 4" x4" and my AAA premier card Cool

cold beer helps too! Laughing
Frankie Pintado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure someone here has seen the list John Muir wrote. It's like his car was pregnant.

I'll find it and post it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dasding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emersonbiggins, I totally love the suitcase! Next stop GoodWill! A suitcase in the trunk, how cool is that!

Thanks all for the insights. As a new VWer, I'm just finding how temperamental they can be, given the right circumstances.

The link on the Captain's tool roll is out of stock. Found the bucket brand equivalent for $9 part number 07004
http://www.all-spec.com/1/viewitem/07004/ALLSPEC/viewimage/w3path=cat

Amazon has the bags too along with a spiffy matching bag for jumpercables. Bucket boss part no: 06009, but it's $16.
http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-Brand-Jumper-Extension/dp/B000022688/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b
Payperbiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can forget everything but not my tire and wrench.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro 67 wrote:
I don't see it yet, but what about that factory spare gas tank? that would come in handy if you run out of gas.

I would have to agree here. A few years ago my wife and daughter were on a cross country in her Thing, driving through the wilds of Wyoming when two other "things" conspired to create a near tragedy; a freak snow storm closed to road behind(and following them), and she ran out of gas (the gauge was not too accurate.) This was literally in the middle of nowhere, bad cell service, no more traffic to flag down and getting dark. Fortunately, I had put a spare 2 gallon jug in the trunk, and it saved the day. Later, she cussed me out for the faulty gauge, and thanked me for the gas can. At least I broke even.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I've seen these yet:

Cable ties- the nylon type- they'll hold anything together

Ratcheting tie-down strap- you can wrap it around tire that has become un-beaded when off roading- strap it tight- then inflate tire to reseat.

Points and condenser

Sorry if any of this is repeated...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has mentioned a fire extinguisher.

I just added one that is just underneath the glove box.

BTW I got a 1942 US Army folding shovel at an antique show for the same price as a new one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: What Do You Carry for Parts and Spares? Reply with quote

[quote="Captain Spalding"]In a recent thread, a poster asked what tools and parts should be carried in the car at all times. Chinarider stepped up to the plate and posted an exhaustive list of tools and parts. With only a few hand tools tied up in an oily rag under the hood of my Thing, I thought I'd better get serious and sort things out. I kept track of most of the tools I use for a tune-up and used that as a basis. The photos below are the results of my ruminations. Chinarider's kit still puts mine to shame, but hey, I had to leave something in the tool box! While my kit is more modest, it's well beyond minimal. I consider it to be the essentials, plus. It consists of a tool roll and a plastic container.
What do you think should be added or subtracted, and why? All closed up. Doesn't take up much room.]

I would add a pair of canvas/cloth gloves to prevent burns. The nylon gloves are good for their purpose but it's good to have protection against hot surfaces. They also now make WD-40 and other penetrating oils in a very small can, like lighter fluid was sold in.
I'd get a can of that and a small "burette" sized can of oil, like the gun oil can soldiers carry. Very compact and sometimes, a little oil makes life easier!.
Thanks
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: german tool kit Reply with quote

I keep a good German tool kit made by Heyco a german car needs german tools i bought these tools over 30 years ago and they still work
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make sure I have my brother Citreon (Dennis) with me so he can fix it.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
I make sure I have my brother Citreon (Dennis) with me so he can fix it.

A spare mechanic, good thinking.
Thingamabob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bolted down an old ammunition box by the og jack holder and fill it up with everything mentioned in everyone's posts....If you are traveling with a big group, I make sure that anyone who has specialty parts have something to replace it with in case of failure. I take stuff that others might need also because there is always one person who will not have anything.
If in a group of lowered cars, I bring a low profile floor jack....wrapped up in a big towel so it won't scratch anything.
Hand Cleaner....Do you want to get in your clean car with dirty hands?

In the group that travels together down here if someone breaks down, the rest of us will badger him and critique his work....Always good for a laugh..
I don't want to sound like an asshole, but does it matter where I got it from?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: