Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.25 rocker install on 2.1- please school me.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: 1.25 rocker install on 2.1- please school me. Reply with quote

Has anyone installed 1.25 ratio rockers on an otherwise stock WBX? do i need to shorten pushrods, or can i shim the rocker shaft to adjust geometry? Is it even a worthwhile project?

Thanks.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
elwood91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=99650&sid=eaa179657f9f9176f504af72c749bd83

This might help, or lead to more questions?
squareyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: rockers Reply with quote

other sites

http://www.clubvw.org.au/a_wasserboxer_adventure.htm

i've got the chip and now need the time and money to add the rockers

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=ECV0008&cartid=

aircooled.net also sold the chip but didn't see it this time on their site
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted ac.net recently and John replied that there wasn't ever enough demand for the chip, so he stopped offering it.

1.25 rockers will bolt right up to a wbx. I did Rhino-feet adjusters, which requires a .060" (1.5mm) shim on the rocker stands to just get clearance at the valves. That height happens to put the geometry just about perfect on my heads, but yours may be different. These adjusters have the swivel-feet at the valve stem. Rockers with swivels on the pushrod side may need shims, or shorter rods, I haven't tried that type. I don't like the idea because they require valve stem caps, which I don't trust. If you go with that type, make sure the adjusting screw/sockets have thru-oiling to the rocker shaft.

If you use standard adjusting screws you probably won't need to shim or anything, but the Rhino-feet do such a super job I would never use standard screws again, myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencent, hows the fuel economy with the rockers/header, etc.?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus, the only time I had the opportunity to do a decent comparison was when I first put those rockers on the OEM engine in my '87, when it had 130k miles, but stil excellent compression. At the same time I installed an S&S header sys. I check my mileage at almost every fillup as a matter of habit. I saw a decrease in mileage of 2mpg more or less, from 20 to 18, but an apparent power increase of maybe 10hp. I felt like that was a fair tradeoff, since the vans so deperately need more power, and you can't get something for nothing.

That was initially with the catalyst installed. I later tried it without, but there wasn't a noticeable change in power or mileage, as I recall. The cat's stayed off since then, just 'cause it make my exhaust simpler, and it runs very clean without it anyway. No EPA checks where I live.

Since then the same equipment has been on 2 newer wbx's: a low-compression AVP longblock (OEM mill chucked a rod at 160k mi., I always have an o.p. gauge since then), and on that same block newly rebuilt to a 9:1 CR 2.2, with a mild cam and some port work. Nowadays I have mucho mas power (no need for a Suby, this thing romps!), and if I cruise 75-80 I get the same 18mpg as before. If I keep it down around 70 I'm getting about 20mpg again, but I now have a taller .77 4th gear as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input, tencent- looks like this is a mod i will be doing this weekend, after i replace the clutch, main seal, et al. on my syncro.

I've had the 1.25s sitting on the shelf for a while getting ready to go into the engine of my 181, but i am thinking that they will be put to better use in my syncro.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Enjoy. Let us know how it works out, and how much extra power you feel like it adds.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Markus, the only time I had the opportunity to do a decent comparison was when I first put those rockers on the OEM engine in my '87, when it had 130k miles, but stil excellent compression. At the same time I installed an S&S header sys. I check my mileage at almost every fillup as a matter of habit. I saw a decrease in mileage of 2mpg more or less, from 20 to 18, but an apparent power increase of maybe 10hp. I felt like that was a fair tradeoff, since the vans so deperately need more power, and you can't get something for nothin

Yes thanks for the info (sorry to bust in there Bl Very Happy

the above gives me a little more confidence to maybe give this a shot as well. I am sitting at about 125k miles but Ihave stout compression an all cylinders still and no mechanical problems/leaks etc.. I even bought the upgradable ecu, but then realized that the chip was no longer listed Sad I have removed my cat already and I have strongly considered going to the S&S system, The exhaust is marginal on my ride I welded up some holes when I first got it and have pretty much been waiting to totally wear the system out before I bought new Smile

I have an auto westy, mileage already sucks, That is one big downfall
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I recall now about the header setup, which they may have remedied, was that it didn't have a place to install the o2 sensor. I had to drill a hole and weld on a suitable nut on the single pipe after the collector right before the cat (or muffler) flange. Can't remember the thread size, it's large but there was an SAE thread that worked fine. I also welded up a short flanged pipe to take the place of the cat so the tip would be out at the right corner instead of further inboard, also thinking the additional length may help the scavenging effect. Nowadays I'm running it without the short pipe anyway, just the turbo muffler.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea when I pulled my cat off and installed a "test pipe" that took away the sensor so I did exactly what you described welded in a a nut of proper thread into the test pipe in about the same area as where it was in the cat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: