Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
Marcq wrote:
That f*cking flashing light is driving me crazy Brick wall

And I thought I had everything figured Rolling Eyes
I noticed recently that when I paused with the key on the on position for a few second with the light flashing and then start, the light would not flash until about ten minutes later when the engine was overheating (air in the system) It made sense since(I think) the red light will flash when not enough coolant in the expansion tank OR engine is overheating

So I bleed the system properly, used the same technique(pause before starting with the key on ON) and the light would behave like it's suppose to, yeah!! Finally Applause BUT!!

Last night I took it for a drive, put the lights on and it starts to blink again for no reason and the rpm cuts off, shut the light off and it stops the blinking and the rpm is back on Rolling Eyes

Maybe I need some Holy water and a crucifix

Marc..

see my previous post

Is there a way to test that gauge? it's not a cheap part and my van is 87

Marc.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

The blinking led is a dual alarm. It blinks to get your attention when the coolant temp gauge reading is too hot and it blinks to let you know that the coolant level looks low in the main tank and you need to check the level asap.

The gauge itself has some electronics inside. This part can slowly go bad and make the led blink at times when there is nothing wrong with either the temp or the coolant level. This gradual electronics failure can be the most annoying to track down.

The failing electronic part inside can be replaced for $1 but it isn't at all simple unless you are already used to working on delicate circuits with a soldering iron. Replacing the gauge is the usual fix.

One easy test that may help is to wait for the next time it flashes when you know the level in the tank is ok and the needle isn't reading hot. Simply pull the "coolant level warning relay" from the dash relay/fuse panel. It is plugged into relay socket 3 and should have a large 43 or 42 stamped on the end you can see. With the led blinking away, just yank that relay out and see if the blinking immediately stops. If it still blinks then chances are you have a gauge with failing electronics inside.

Mark
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

One easy test that may help is to wait for the next time it flashes when you know the level in the tank is ok and the needle isn't reading hot. Simply pull the "coolant level warning relay" from the dash relay/fuse panel. It is plugged into relay socket 3 and should have a large 43 or 42 stamped on the end you can see. With the led blinking away, just yank that relay out and see if the blinking immediately stops. If it still blinks then chances are you have a gauge with failing electronics inside.

Mark

I'll do that
Thanks a bunch

Marc..
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
take apart all connections involved and clean them - incl. the grounds

sorry if it was a bit cryptic, but at least it wasn't a cryptical envelopment

You were right, cleaned the grounds related to cool-temp send unit located under the ignition coil and everything works Cool

Elementary, my dear Watson!!

Thanks, Marc..
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

Back to square one Sad everything was fine until I unplug the sensor on the expansion to see if it would start flashing, but it took about 3sec and it flashed and now it does the same thing

Basically, the gauge operates properly as long as I don't use the driving lights

Yanked the relay and it kept flashing so I guess I need a new gauge

Marc..
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

Testing with an ohmmeter across the contacts of the level sensor, you will not get a zero ohm reading with a good sensor immersed in liquid. There will be several hundred thousand ohms. An infinity reading, though, would indicate a faulty sensor if it is immersed in coolant. If you read continuity across an immersed sensor, but the previous tests failed to stop the blinking LED, there may be another electrical fault, e.g. a break in the blue/green sensor wire, or a problem in the coolant low level control unit, located on the main fuse panel.

Sorry if there was any confusion caused by our failure to explain the entire procedure. Now, back to your regularly scheduled hair-pulling.

Tested resistance at the sensor after pulling off the connector and getting a 3.65 M Ohm reading, which seems crazy. Operator fault or would this be indicating a problem with the sensor? Given that you expect a few hundred thousand ohms and I'm in the millions here.

Thanks
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

menotti wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

Testing with an ohmmeter across the contacts of the level sensor, you will not get a zero ohm reading with a good sensor immersed in liquid. There will be several hundred thousand ohms. An infinity reading, though, would indicate a faulty sensor if it is immersed in coolant. If you read continuity across an immersed sensor, but the previous tests failed to stop the blinking LED, there may be another electrical fault, e.g. a break in the blue/green sensor wire, or a problem in the coolant low level control unit, located on the main fuse panel.

Sorry if there was any confusion caused by our failure to explain the entire procedure. Now, back to your regularly scheduled hair-pulling.

Tested resistance at the sensor after pulling off the connector and getting a 3.65 M Ohm reading, which seems crazy. Operator fault or would this be indicating a problem with the sensor? Given that you expect a few hundred thousand ohms and I'm in the millions here.

Thanks

Well this is weird, half the time when I test it it reads .5 mega ohm instead, which is in the range you suggest...super odd
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The blinking led is a dual alarm. It blinks to get your attention when the coolant temp gauge reading is too hot and it blinks to let you know that the coolant level looks low in the main tank and you need to check the level asap.

The gauge itself has some electronics inside. This part can slowly go bad and make the led blink at times when there is nothing wrong with either the temp or the coolant level. This gradual electronics failure can be the most annoying to track down.

The failing electronic part inside can be replaced for $1 but it isn't at all simple unless you are already used to working on delicate circuits with a soldering iron. Replacing the gauge is the usual fix.

Mark

Did the relay test and likely have a problem in the gauge itself! A relief to diagnose it.

To be clear, the symptoms and steps I took were:
- Turn ignition to battery on
- Coolant light blinking
- Wait 5 seconds or so, turn engine on
- Light continues to blink - NEVER stops
- Pull relay
- Light continues to blink

Sounds like a problem in the gauge itself with the fix being something like this, yeah? http://www.vanagonauts.com/Warning-Light-Fix241.htm
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

menotti wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

Did the relay test and likely have a problem in the gauge itself! A relief to diagnose it.

To be clear, the symptoms and steps I took were:
- Turn ignition to battery on
- Coolant light blinking
- Wait 5 seconds or so, turn engine on
- Light continues to blink - NEVER stops
- Pull relay
- Light continues to blink

Sounds like a problem in the gauge itself with the fix being something like this, yeah? http://www.vanagonauts.com/Warning-Light-Fix241.htm

Question Now I am a little dumbfounded!

I checked again the overflow tank with the engine cold and even though it seemed to have an acceptable amount of coolant in there, I figured why not bring it closer to the top line just in case. I had figured this wouldn't have anything to do with the sensor in the expansion tank.

Lo and behold I start up the van and the light is NO LONGER BLINKING. Wow, I though, I am a complete moron but glad this is fixed.

I drove to the grocery store with the light off and the temp rising to a comfortable midpoint.

Come out of the store and start up the van, the light is back! What?

I am going to check the overflow once more tonight and if it is roughly in the same place it sounds like, given I did the check by pulling the relay, that I have a bad capacitor in the gauge itself, yeah?
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

Any thoughts on this? Sorry for double posting in the other thread too Smile
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

I would think the telling thing would be the level of coolant in the pressurized tank when the light is flashing.

I am still unclear whether you have a cooling system issue or a sensor/wiring issue.

Once you know which then you can begin to parse the possible causes.

You should probably pick one thread or the other to discuss this (or even start your own with a title specific to your problem).
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I would think the telling thing would be the level of coolant in the pressurized tank when the light is flashing.

I am still unclear whether you have a cooling system issue or a sensor/wiring issue.

Once you know which then you can begin to parse the possible causes.

You should probably pick one thread or the other to discuss this (or even start your own with a title specific to your problem).

Thank you, I'll send it to its own thread.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

You need to do the relay test again when this temp gauge led blinking happens.
Yank the coolant level relay without turning anything off.
If the gauge blinking keeps going with the relay now out, IT CAN'T BE anything to do the the sensor, coolant level, or sensor wiring.
IT CAN'T BE!!!!!!

Now it is possible to have more than one problem happening at different times to cause blinking and that can really drive you nuts. You have to fix each problem.

Mark
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

The capacitor in the gauge that causes the erroneous blinking, will probably not fail decisively. Instead, it my be fine when cool and then short-out when it gets warm. This can make diagnosis very frustrating. As others have said, pulling the coolant relay is the best way to narrow down the variables when trying to solve the constant blinking LED issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
You need to do the relay test again when this temp gauge led blinking happens.
Yank the coolant level relay without turning anything off.
If the gauge blinking keeps going with the relay now out, IT CAN'T BE anything to do the the sensor, coolant level, or sensor wiring.
IT CAN'T BE!!!!!!

Now it is possible to have more than one problem happening at different times to cause blinking and that can really drive you nuts. You have to fix each problem.

Mark

Thanks, will be trying this again! Also starting this in its own thread per your recommendation.
Black'n'White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

Found this thread while attempting to diagnose a flashing LED on the temperature gauge in the tach. '87 Syncro, Subaru conversion, aluminum expansion tank from Van Cafe, the level sensor in the tank only has one lead to it, and the tank itself is grounded (0.2 ohms resistance from the tank to chassis ground). Is it correct that the level sensor grounds through the aluminum tank?

This all started when the plastic overflow tank ran dry, so I suspect there's a small leak somewhere in the system. Filling the overflow tank to the max line didn't change the behavior.

Here's what it does:

Turn key to ON, LED flashes several times, stops, then about ten seconds later continuously flashes as long as the key is on. If I start the van, it does the same thing with the ten second pause. The goWesty blue film replacement kit is installed on the instrument cluster, along with the low coolant level beeper, and boy, does it get your attention!

I've got continuity in the blue/green wire from the expansion tank level sensor to the blue green wire on both sides of the big connector to the instrument cluster.

I measure 0.2 Ohms of resistance between the aluminum pressure tank housing and ground.

I opened the expansion tank and it is full to the brim. I pulled out about 500 ml of antifreeze with a turkey baster and the resistance across the sensor to ground dropped from about 32kOhms full to 22 kOhms with the level down an inch or so.

Shorting the level sensor lead to ground doesn't alter the flashing of the LED.

While the LED was flashing, I pulled relay 43 and the flashing stopped. If I plug the relay back in, after a short delay the flashing starts again.

Has anyone got a correct value for the sensor resistance range?

I'm running Prestone green antifreeze mixed 50/50 with distilled water. The engine only has about 400 miles on it at this point, so I don't think it's a corrosion problem.

Any ideas on what to check next? I'm running out of ideas...

Thanks!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

Check this out:

http://www.vanagonauts.com/index.phtml?catid=241
JRAMIREZACOSTA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

THANKS for the post, I tried almost everything you mentioned but, not to ground directly the blue/green wire.
Black'n'White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

Just to follow up, my problem was resolved by replacing the coolant level sensor relay, the one with 43 painted on it in the bank of relays under the left end of the dash. Mine came from Van Cafe.
Black'n'White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic: Coolant level sensor; must restart to test Reply with quote

Update:
A few weeks later and the LED is flashing again, even with the new coolant level sensor relay installed. If I pull the relay when the engine is running and the LED is still flashing, the LED continues to flash.

I've replaced the capacitor in the temperature gauge, but will check to make sure the replacement is installed correctly, polarity wise.

If the capacitor is OK, what else should I check?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: