Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
re: closing the upper fitting - I never did any testing that way because of the reason mentioned, didn't want to ruin anything. However I have thought about it from time to time. What I'd probably do is fill it with some 2-part epoxy, that way you could pop it out again later if you wanted. (I'd say JB Weld but I think that would be too permanent.)

I closed the upper pipe with "black silicon glue", it is fuel-resistant, easy to remove and remains soft so if it will fall and sucked by the engine will not make damages.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

I have to do a little correction to this image:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On 28 carburetors without idle bypass channel the lower hole, when the butterfly is in the idle position, is exposed on its LOWER part because into those carburetors idiling is by a partial opening of the butterfly that is never fully closed (it should be fully closed into 30-31 pict series that have an hole directly on the butterfly).

An other issue: at idiling a small quantity of air jumps from the upper pipe to the lower hole and this air contributes to the idle air/fuel mixture.

So when clogging the upper advance pipe idle is enriched and an adjustement is necessary.

I tried the SVDA... engine works better, quieter and more power, especially at constant speed, so I will keep my configuration.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

OK, after reading this and becoming fully confused I got that my H30/31 PIC Carb will not work with my SVDA. What distributor should I use is my question now? I am not inclined toward a .009 Distributor. I have a 12v 1200cc SP and am not looking for power but smooth operation. I think a vacuum advance is needed so can someone recommend the right distributor for my H30/31 PIC. the Carb has a riser for the 12v Generator.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Does your H30/31 have the vacuum fitting at the lower right when you're looking at the back of the carb? I've read elsewhere recently that this fitting has a sufficient vacuum signal to work w/the SVDA vacuum can.

Other than that possibility I don't know the answer.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
OK, after reading this and becoming fully confused I got that my H30/31 PIC Carb will not work with my SVDA. What distributor should I use is my question now? I am not inclined toward a .009 Distributor. I have a 12v 1200cc SP and am not looking for power but smooth operation. I think a vacuum advance is needed so can someone recommend the right distributor for my H30/31 PIC. the Carb has a riser for the 12v Generator.

What you need to work with that H30/31 is a 113905205K, M or T vacuum only distributor. Basically, these distributors were used from 1966-1970 on single port engines running 30 series carbs. The H30/31 provides the correct vacuum signal for these distributors. I ran a H30/31 with a 205T and it worked beautifully.

Find a restored one of these model number distributors in the classifieds on this site for sale. You don't want to gamble with one that has not been fully disassembled, cleaned, inspected and re-lubed. After close to 50 years, they need to be restored before being put back in service.

The restored ones are usually under $100 dollars. You can also still find NOS vacuum cans for them as well. It's not a bad idea to have a spare NOS vacuum can for them if you buy a restored one w/a good used can on it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
OK, after reading this and becoming fully confused I got that my H30/31 PIC Carb will not work with my SVDA. What distributor should I use is my question now? I am not inclined toward a .009 Distributor.

I think a vacuum advance is needed so can someone recommend the right distributor for my H30/31 PIC. the Carb has a riser for the 12v Generator.

See wcfvw69's post just above. I also would stay away from 009 for this unless you have a vintage German one.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Does your H30/31 have the vacuum fitting at the lower right when you're looking at the back of the carb? I've read elsewhere recently that this fitting has a sufficient vacuum signal to work w/the SVDA vacuum can.

Other than that possibility I don't know the answer.

I will check. I do not believe so.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

So at lunch I had my son meet me and we took the vacuum tube off the side to the HJ30/31 PIC Carb and put it on the large one on the front of the engine. It immediately started running better. So another question.

I noticed if I had the vacuum ports covered and no vacuum going to the Dizzy it was idling at about 7.5 degrees (ish). when I added the vacuum it jumped up to about 30 (ish) degrees but I have no way of determining that. What should it idle at in terms of degrees when connected properly to a vacuum?

With a stock pulley how do you determine 30-40 degrees and such?

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:

Download and print the degree wheel form here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/degree_wheel.php

tb03830 wrote:
What should it idle at in terms of degrees when connected properly to a vacuum?

Mark your pulley (see above) at 30/32 °BTDC (clockwise of TDC).

Set the timing (with everything connected) to 30/32 °BTDC at 3.5K rpm, then let it idle and see where YOUR distributor timing falls at idle.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:

My vote is for a 205K distributor. Mine ran like a scalded cat on my 1600SP with H30/31 carb.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
I noticed if I had the vacuum ports covered and no vacuum going to the Dizzy it was idling at about 7.5 degrees (ish).

This sounds about right.

tb03830 wrote:
when I added the vacuum it jumped up to about 30 (ish) degrees but I have no way of determining that. What should it idle at in terms of degrees when connected properly to a vacuum?

Under a strobe timing light the TDC mark will be close to the point where the fan belt leaves the pulley (11 o'clock) when timing is between 28-32BTDC. This is a fair estimate when you don't have a marked pulley.
A more accurate way would be to calculate and measure around the circumference... the pulley is 7" diameter. That means 1-deg = 0.061" (1.55mm). 30-deg = 1.83" (46.55mm). Make a mark 46.55mm CW from TDC. That will be 30BTDC.

I think you may be using the wrong vacuum port on the rear face of the carb (rear = rear of car).

In the above pic, the "A" port is the standard vacuum advance port which is connected to venturi vacuum. On the H30/31 and earlier 30Pict-1 carbs it is good for a 205K/M/T distributor but the vacuum signal is too weak for an SVDA/DVDA distributor.

Of the three ports on the rear face of the carb you want the one connected to ported vacuum. Ported vacuum has no vacuum at idle but jumps to intake vacuum as soon as the throttle is opened. Figure out which of the three vacuum ports has no vacuum at idle (engine warmed up - choke off), then test for strong vacuum as soon as the throttle is slightly opened. I believe it will be port "D", but check it for the proper vacuum profile.

Like Cusser I've only recently discovered that one of the ports on the H30/31 is ported vacuum. I've not tested this, but you can report back what you find and confirm it. For the longest time I just thought the H30/31 only worked w/ SVA distributors like the 205K/M/T connected to the left side venturi vacuum port.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
kwest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

I can report that port "D" on my H30/31 produced a strong vacuum when 'blipping' the accelerator off of idle. A reproduction SVDA & the H30/31 worked well when I used this vacuum port and:
- I timed it for ~ 32d total advance at high rpms and this yields about 7d BTDC at idle (hoses plugged) for me - I was happy to see that number come up...

I've since moved to the proper carb for my year (from Volksbitz) and the proper distributor (from Tim (tasb)) and I'm a bit happier, but the combination above seemed decent.

HTH,
Kent
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

kwest69 wrote:
I can report that port "D" on my H30/31 produced a strong vacuum when 'blipping' the accelerator off of idle. A reproduction SVDA & the H30/31 worked well when I used this vacuum port and:
- I timed it for ~ 32d total advance at high rpms and this yields about 7d BTDC at idle (hoses plugged) for me - I was happy to see that number come up...

I've since moved to the proper carb for my year (from Volksbitz) and the proper distributor (from Tim (tasb)) and I'm a bit happier, but the combination above seemed decent.

HTH,
Kent

Interesting. I've had several 30/31 come through, and on two they didn't even have that port drilled or have a fitting installed. The couple I did have that had that fitting in place I never bothered to check, since I had the vacuum only dizzy already on hand.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Well, all the ones I checked were drilled like this (I thought I had stuck this in this thread somewhere already, but maybe not, as I'd rather edit the first post and put this in there, but cannot, as it's so old of a post) And yes, this is very similar in appearance and function to the SVDA carbs' vacuum advance drilling.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Knowing this about port D, what about ports B & C? Do either one provide the signal necessary to run a DVDA distributor's [EDIT] retard vacuum, say a 205AN or AJ?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Well, all the ones I checked were drilled like this (I thought I had stuck this in this thread somewhere already, but maybe not, as I'd rather edit the first post and put this in there, but cannot, as it's so old of a post) And yes, this is very similar in appearance and function to the SVDA carbs' vacuum advance drilling.

Do they only have the single drilling, or multiples inline with that one, above the butterfly?

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Just one, and that's why I did NOT say it was exactly the same but it really depends on WHICH post-1970 stock carburetor you're looking at. There IS a photo of a 31PICT-3 (which is pretty much the same carb as the H30 except for the main vacuum advance plumbing) with just one drilling at the throttle butterfly, on the first page of this thread.

And it's not like I've not test-run that angled fitting myself, I have and it works. The thing I don't like about it is the need to keep the hose clear of the throttle arm. That's why I routed it this way:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

I have a recently, beautifully restored 205t. Where can one find a spare vacuum can?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

buy some cheap used distributors hoping you'll get a decent one or dig around for an NOS canister, but the only I've seen lately was pretty pricey. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Distributor-Singl...mp;vxp=mtr

tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
tb03830 wrote:
I noticed if I had the vacuum ports covered and no vacuum going to the Dizzy it was idling at about 7.5 degrees (ish).

This sounds about right.

tb03830 wrote:
when I added the vacuum it jumped up to about 30 (ish) degrees but I have no way of determining that. What should it idle at in terms of degrees when connected properly to a vacuum?

Under a strobe timing light the TDC mark will be close to the point where the fan belt leaves the pulley (11 o'clock) when timing is between 28-32BTDC. This is a fair estimate when you don't have a marked pulley.
A more accurate way would be to calculate and measure around the circumference... the pulley is 7" diameter. That means 1-deg = 0.061" (1.55mm). 30-deg = 1.83" (46.55mm). Make a mark 46.55mm CW from TDC. That will be 30BTDC.

I think you may be using the wrong vacuum port on the rear face of the carb (rear = rear of car).

In the above pic, the "A" port is the standard vacuum advance port which is connected to venturi vacuum. On the H30/31 and earlier 30Pict-1 carbs it is good for a 205K/M/T distributor but the vacuum signal is too weak for an SVDA/DVDA distributor.

Of the three ports on the rear face of the carb you want the one connected to ported vacuum. Ported vacuum has no vacuum at idle but jumps to intake vacuum as soon as the throttle is opened. Figure out which of the three vacuum ports has no vacuum at idle (engine warmed up - choke off), then test for strong vacuum as soon as the throttle is slightly opened. I believe it will be port "D", but check it for the proper vacuum profile.

Like Cusser I've only recently discovered that one of the ports on the H30/31 is ported vacuum. I've not tested this, but you can report back what you find and confirm it. For the longest time I just thought the H30/31 only worked w/ SVA distributors like the 205K/M/T connected to the left side venturi vacuum port.

This is a great post. I had mine on "A" I placed it on "B" and most of the Hesitation went away. I say most. "B" had a strong Vacuum. So you are saying "D" is stronger than "B"? I put my finger on it and got little or was a I mistaken about "D". I will test "D" for strong vacuum as soon as the throttle is slightly opened. Thanks for this.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: