Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus body repair nightmares
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Bus body repair nightmares Reply with quote

I've had some odd body work that had been done on some of the buses that I bought, over the years:
My 1958 VW bus body on the jeep chassis had had some holes drilled in the middle of the driver's side door so the thicker layer of filler would have something to grab onto. He couldn't have just removed the door panel and used a hammer and dolly on most of the dent, then spread a thin layer of filler over it.

The same bus had filler one and one-half inches thick on the front one-third of the right side outer rocker to the pillar. I removed it and it was so heavy, I saved it to show people and to use as a weapon when I go down to east Oakland. Wink I replaced both rockers and the pillar.

My 1963 bus had had a large (about a five inch diameter) round hole in the left corner panel on the side, a ways above the floor panel inside. Instead of butt or tack welding on a round piece of sheet metal, he cut out a larger round piece of sheet metal, put it on the inside where it overlapped the hole, and, apparently, filled up the outside of the plate with welds. Surprised
To avoid rust issues, I ground off the inner plate, the welds were strong, and spread fiberglass reenforced body putty over the inside.
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy, maybe the guy who owned your bus worked on mine also!

I love it when people bondo over cracks in a panel only to have it rust and chip out. I have found at least 3 two inch circles cut in random places in the roof with matching peices Bondo'd into place, not welded. Probably for some CB setup. A friend had a decent 66 Standard that had a roof vent in it. Instead of letting me weld a panel in, he opted to take it to the local body shop where some idiot glued a 1x1 foot flat sheet under the roof and leveled it off with filler! He tried to tell me, "You can't weld a roof, it will warp!!" Rolling Eyes

Slide hammer holes are my nightmare. At some point, my '65 bus had someone drill 20+ holes in each rear corner and fill over them. I ended up replacing both rear corners, and the hacked quarter panels. The other day I found 6 more holes in the passenger dogleg. Oh, I almost forgot the 20 more holes in the roof on the driver's side. It was better to graft in a new section than to try saving it.

Pulling crushed rockers that people have used as jacking points is fun....
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67stang302
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 67 has about 2 inches of bondo covering the rocker that is completly rusted out. Also the rear corners are full of bondo. Don't even get me started on the textured wagner spray gun special

SBSeven 1 YR and still going

59 Kombi laying beam
64 type 34
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That says it all. I'm fixing it properly, so the next person who owns this bus won't have such a headache!

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought that mine were bad. I knew that there were more nightmares out there. Filler over a plate on the roof? Filler just loves vibration. What is it with people and drill bits?
It looks like my nightmares were just average but here are some more:
The bus body on the jeep chassis had a whole line of thick filler on the right corner panel going through the wide rusted out hole where the battery floor used to be spot welded to it. I had to weld on a new corner panel and battery floor. Since the V-6 engine is in the middle of the bus, he had a big piece of sheet metal lying over the engine compartment where the engine used to be, and had an unstrapped batter sitting on it, Shocked believe it or not.
The 1957 bus that I got 29 years ago looked great but the body man had, recently, done a "quickie": it looked good but filler was spread all over and after a year ot two it cracked at the side of the "V" on the nose panel; and he did a "Pimp my Ride" on the right side outer rocker, putting fiberglass over a rusted out section, which, in a few years had bubbled paint due to rust.
Another good post would be what was found inside of sealed bus panels. Two of the four buses that I replaced right and left rockers on had what looked like big pieces of hasish in the rear of the left side when I opened them up. Laughing The free 1960 bus that I cut up had sand filling the outriggers, crossmembers, and rockers.
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWBobby wrote:
Campy, maybe the guy who owned your bus worked on mine also!

A friend had a decent 66 Standard that had a roof vent in it. Instead of letting me weld a panel in, he opted to take it to the local body shop where some idiot glued a 1x1 foot flat sheet under the roof and leveled it off with filler! He tried to tell me, "You can't weld a roof, it will warp!!" Rolling Eyes

are you sure it wasnt a 64 Panel? Laughing I'm scared to know the reason for this on mine..........

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Looks like someone was trying to turn those rockers into surfboards....
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
'65 Honda Dream
ratlook63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 words.... Pimp My Ride........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mario J G
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a peice of rocker from one of the restorations I did that looks like that with wire mess and cardboard mixed in the bondo. Its about 10" long and weights about 10 lbs. I also have a 2'by 2' and about 3/4" thick in the middle peice that came from the side of a bus I restored, it must have been 40+ lbs of filler on its side.

At some point I will have to take pictures of the S#!T body work I have cut out of restoration projects I've done in the pass.

Mario
Vintage Werks Resto
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom, it looks like frosting over a bee hive. That is truly a nightmare. Shocked You get the award, so far.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey....at least you guys have rockers or something there!
I had a roof and some frame rails...the rest was flapping in the breeze!

If you notice in this pic I already have replaced all the I beams, outriggers and inner rockers, think it looks scary here....you should have seen it before those were welded in.

Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Box on Wheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:

If you notice in this pic I already have replaced all the I beams, outriggers and inner rockers, think it looks scary here....you should have seen it before those were welded in.

Your bus should consider itself lucky. If it lived out here in southern California it would have been a parts car. Razz Too much rust for us on the west coast.

Todd, Keep up the good work. One more flipseat still on the road Very Happy
67 Titian Red SO-42 Pop-Top walk-thru Westfalia
64 Safari Beige Sunroof Notchback
97 993 S Coupe
97 993 Cabriolet
04 996 C4S Coupe

God, guts, and guns made America great!
Live free or Die
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
Thom, it looks like frosting over a bee hive. That is truly a nightmare. Shocked You get the award, so far.

Ya, you guys down south get to miss out (a bit more) on all the fun things that people do these these bus's when they get a little rusty... Here in Canada that is about the norm..... spray foam for rockers or fiberglass, take your pick.... and whats is this original paint I keep hearing of? lol.. it exists?

anyways.... thought id just bitch a bit, haha... that foam rocker/ outrigger looks like it will be fun to clean up...

kris
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what i found on my 57 DD panel, it was drywall screen popriveted to the rocker than about an inch or so of the finest bondo Kmart could supply, but the funny thing is that they did all this to patch two little rust holes in the rocker Shocked I have found all sorts of crazy repairs done to this one........................sometimes i just have to say WTF? and then laugh at it.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Wow, bastardbus, that's incredible! That kind of depth scares the heck out of me, because once everything is cut away or rusted away, where do you start? I mean, your OG reference points are gone! I'm going slow on the driver's side rocker because so much of it is crap, but dang dude! Keep it up! Very Happy

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airconditioning? I should have let someone in Canada have that free 1960 bus that I cut up. It would have been a daily driver. Cool
I studied geology and Matt K.s picture look like a geologic formation: Tuscan formation above Chico formation. Laughing
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:

Looking good man.
Metalwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's see where to start, Ok brillo pads, steelwool,steel and aluminum wire MESH, Playboy mag, Screen door MESH, spray foam, newspapers, steel expanded metal, bluejeans, all this was filler for bondo and fiberglass, oh and tarpaper. A certain "Restored" 57 23 window had a nose section that weighed about 150lbs, Both rear corners were scuplted(sp) from bondo, they probably weighed 30lbs each. Every skylight had to be rebuilt to the gutter rail. Kents 56 standard sunroof had a drivers side wall the was a galvinized sheet about 4' x 5' and was forced to roll at the bottom, brazed in, the damn thing poped off as i was cutting the brazes loose and slapped me onto my arse in the driveway. Pics of these and other crap are in amongst my archives. In Thom's gallery on Vintagebus are 200 plus pics of Kents 56, severly cut apart.

Kelly aka
"Bubble & Nut Buster for wannabe BadBoy's of Restoration"
"There is no cure for Stupid"
ITMC "Drill SGT"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: