Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Transmission help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
satori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Auto Transmission help Reply with quote

Can the gear oil leak into the transmission oil if the tranny was tilted up vertical?? Also when reinstalling, oil has leaked out of the torque convertor. do I need to refill it. Never have delt with auto's so don't know much about them.....
thanks
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert but I can tell you that gear oil can get into the transmission if the seal fails.

Do you have any specific reason to believe that gear oil has seeped into the transmission?

As for replacing transmission fluid that escaped when the torque converter was removed...well, yeah - replace it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Auto tranny Reply with quote

Typically the seal between the auto tranny/diff is very long lasting.

Tipping the tranny up on it's end will not allow the oils to mix...... and, as one has already stated, that is assuming the seal is not bad! If the seal is bad, the over time, the oil would mix anyway!

The auto tranny oil pump will fill the torque converter pronto when the engine is started........... fill tranny accordingly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
satori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys. I the reason i was worried is that when I checked the transmission dip stick it was over full, but maybe was already like that before as I had'nt checked it earlier. So do I fill the torque convertor with tansmission fluid or gear oil?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fill the converter withanythig.

Bolt the transaxle up, load the trans up with fluid of your choice, and keep an eye on the dipstick.

The trans pump will automaticly fill the converter.

So, if you filled the trans, and started the engine, the converter would self load as tha trans pump operated.

Just make sure before you take off that the trans fluid level on the stick is correct.
satori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sweet. Thanks for that. Back on the road soon. I only had the van for 4 weeks when the engine blew. I real bummer. Is going to be great to get driving again. Have been carting the family around in our type 3 squareback.
Very small and cramed compaired to the van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: