Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Considering going from a 1.9 to a 2.2 engine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
garryv84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Considering going from a 1.9 to a 2.2 engine Reply with quote

I am thinking of installing a 2.2 (2.1 with 96mm pistons) in my 1984 GL with a 1.9L I will be using Rocky Jennings parts or GoWesty.

Looking for advice from actual owners who have had this done.

Was the extra HP and TQ worth it? or was it not that much of an improvement?

Would you use parts from Rocky or GoWesty?

Thanks![/u]
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few different 2.2wbx engines.
On a Syncro, any increase in power is nullified by a suspension lift and 215/75/15 tires.
With both, a 2.2 powered van drives stock, but sounds really good Wink
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 84 GL had a smooth 1.9 and now has a 2.1.
The 2.1 sounds/feels courser and doesn't feel much different power wise.
I know you said 2.2 but I guess I'm suggesting that a few horses extra isn't that big of a deal. Looking back, I liked the 1.9 better. Too bad when they wear out they become anchors/ scrap. Wish I had a 2.2 Subaru Very Happy
sc1out
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a non running 1984 Vanagon GL four speed manual 18 months ago and installed a brand new 2.2 from GoWesty. I had the opportunity to visit their store and engine shop. Asked some questions and got answers. I bought the 2.2 and installed it myself. The four speed tranny needed attention and was sent to Daryl at AA. Excellent results. Since I had no previous experience driving the Vanagon with the stock engine I have no reference for comparison. However, I am very happy with the GW 2.2 and its "torqueness" in all gears. I tend to shift early but do not lug the engine, rarely drive more than 55mph in the rural area that I live, have had it on trips and run 70mph across the state to the Outer Banks. There is still plenty of power above that speed. I do not keep meticulous fuel mileage records but average in the low twenties in normal daily driving and close to that out on the longer trips if I stay about 65mph or so. Stock 14' rims and tires at the factory psi. No extra crap in the van except a "modest" amount of tools. The normal complement of tools any Vanagon paranoid would carry. I have accumulated about 7500 miles since install and experienced at least one grin per mile.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 84 Westy I went from the stock 1.9L to the GoWesty 2.2L at 220K miles. This was 6 years ago.

The power increase was noticeable -- of course some of that was possibly due to going from a hile mileage engine to a fresh rebuild, but an improvement nonetheless.

Okay, not neck-snapping pin-you-to-the-seat power but a nice bump. We live on a mountain and often travel in the mountains and on highways with long steady climbs. Those are places where the power increase was most noticeable and appreciated.

As to whether it was worth it -- that's too subjective to answer. In our case we needed to replace the engine and the 2.2L made the most sense.
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I PM'ed you, but the Cliff's Notes of that message say: Do it. You won't be sorry.

But be prepared to fix your brakes when you're done.

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Flash has a GW 2.2L WBX with something like 30K on the motor. The PO had the engine swap done by GW. It starts, it runs, it moves the van. I have to shift for hills I might not shift for in our 2.5L '02 BMW 325xI. Bottom line: works for me! Applause
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2.1 rebuild was leaking oil past the cylinders, so I recently upgraded the top end to the GW 2.2 setup. Noticeable increase in power. Still no race car but did compensate for bigger wheels/tires a bit.
garryv84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a 2.1 core that had an engine fire for 250.00. Should I get it? Would the aluminum case melt or be damaged because of the fire?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto of Steelhead . First the head gaskets went, then I found pitting in the cylinders. I got a 2.2 WBX from Northwest Connecting Rods in Seattle. Stronger, but not much faster.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 2.2 GW motor around 6 yrs and 45K miles ago. Still going great. Noticeable increase in power. As others have already said, it sure as heck won't pin you in your seat but I've been very pleased. Still have to shift down on hills but hey, it's a 4000 lb vehicle being pushed around with barely over 100 hp. Fuel economy may be marginally better but I'd say roughly the same. Overall, I'm happy with it, it retains the stock fuel inj. system, easy to service, etc., etc. I did the install and it took me a week to complete. coulda been less but I have to work for a living and while the engine was out I took the flywheel to the machine shop to get it resurfaced for a new clutch. They were a little backlogged so that took a few extra days.
'96 BMW R1100GS
westfailed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there are a lot of happy customers of GW engines @ $4k /100hp. For the same kind of $$ you can get Subaru and 40 more hp. Apples/Oranges It's all up to you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: