Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To Bra or not To Bra
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

To bra or not to bra?
Bra! I like the perkiness!
38%
 38%  [ 50 ]
No Bra! I like it au natural!
61%
 61%  [ 80 ]
Total Votes : 130

wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to see as much as possible. If they made a tiny low cut, cutoff t-shirt. I would vote yes.

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom told me once I should call it a bustier instead of a bra because it covers the whole front....

My latest Vanagon has thousands of rock chips below the top grill, so I think the bra makes it look better. Actually I just like the way it looks:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HOWEVER,

I left mine on through a car wash and ended up with this mess, which I discussed in another thread:

I haven't had time to get after the soap stains yet but will post in that thread when I do.

In the meantime, what better way to cover up nasty soap stains than with...you guessed it...a bra? It's a catch-22 I guess.

Also on this subject, our vendors all sell the Colgan bras. The one I use is a Wolf Bra (bought on Ebay for $20.) I like it much better than the Colgan because it sits below the wipers instead through them. It has hooks on the bottom that fit into the holes beneath the front side panel and the whole top strap is elastic with rubber-covered metal hooks that attach on the top corners. More snug and better looking in my opinion.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm strongly against bras!

When I first moved to the states and asked what they were for, I was told, "To make the car look cool". EPIC FAIL if you ask me!

If I had front damage to hide I'd think about it, but apart from that in my opinion a bra + dirt is a great way to sand paper the paint off you are trying to protect.

K
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you pronounce that bustier properly. You can add laces if you like. Think its sexier. But a wet tshirt sounds feasible with appropriate cut outs. Laughing will that be boxers or briefs? hmmm that should be a thread!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BC Westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put mine on for weekend HWY road trips but then come home and take it off.

Nothing is worse then keeping water against the paint. They were designed for temp use but I know alot of folks leave them on . I guess it depends on your climate but in the Pacific North West you are asking for rust if you leave a bra on.
1981 Westfalia 300,000kms
1982 Westfalia Cali Import 193,000Miles
1982 Westfalia (Auto) 205,000Kms
1984 Vanagon 306,000kms
1987 Vanagon GL 300,000Kms
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Westy also has many rock chips on the front end. I think leaving the bra on for extended periods of time through rain and such is a bad idea. Thinking that those chips will turn into rust holes evetually.

I will however put the bra on the front now if I am going somewhere on a trip. I don't like leaving it on in the rain bad as it does accumulate gunk under it. Leaves and grime and crud all seem to find their way under the bra when left on, For $30 from a seller on Ebay it was worth every penny.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's obvious that the choice to wear a bra or go braless is an individual decision with a lot of input by the fellows. Smile

Seriously most of this thread has reinforced my viewpoint (experience) BUT I did learn something new. i.e. 3M's clear bra cover. Is it really expensive, I would wonder about doing the whole bottom of the van or is this just not feasible?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porker buzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a vw bra on mine and its the best money i have spent i only use it for motorway journeys and always remove it if the sun comes out after it has rained , i also have bras for my big electric mirrors as they stop the stonechips as they seem to get more stonechipped when painted bodycolour than the front of van ,
JusDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only run the bra for longer road trips. Always off for around town duty.
etc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll should have a couple more options. I run the bra for road trips or highway riding, but the bra sometimes collects dust and grit that if you don't take off and clean once and a while eats at your paint like sandpaper. Plus my stupid bra has left two little "hook scrapes" where the buckles rub against the panel....annoying but better than rock chips I guess.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colgan bra seems to be a well made item.It fits good, has a nice cushion material on the hooks and fits just right.

I didnt think that Madam Helga cared about the "lift and seperate" factor as she was more concerned with rocks and pebbles..not twigs and berries. Embarassed
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: To Bra or not To Bra Reply with quote

The Doors on my 91 have a very thick Seal on the front edge
I assume to keep the wind from whistling and to keep the rain out.

The Tabs on the Bra aren't really long enough
to wrap around the seal & body.

And even if they were, they "would break the continuity of the Seal"

This got me to thinking "Paint" !

Maybe a bed type liner paint would
give me the "look" I like?
And protection from rock chips?

This Is done quite regularly on the Sprinter type vans
And may Look Good on the Vanagon as well ?

Any Pic's out there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: To Bra or not To Bra Reply with quote

Mine came with a bra...... bra be gone!
No bra for me.

Of course I was "of age" during the 1960’s too, the time period where the whole anti-social norm braless thing developed.......

think Carley Simon and her "No Secrets" album....... (1972)
https://www.amazon.com/No-Secrets-Carly-Simon/dp/B...&psc=1

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: To Bra or not To Bra Reply with quote

All depends on your climate and use. I never take mine off due to road sand/salt/pebble mix in winter and gravel driving in summer. A neighbour had his bra on for 30+ years continuously with no sign of wear or damage underneath whatsoever:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9489376&highlight=bra#9489376 (run down that post a wee bit to see the evidence for yourself)

As ancient sage Cold Mountain advised "Do whatever works, whatever doesn't, don't."
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: To Bra or not To Bra Reply with quote

Energy Concepts wrote:

This got me to thinking "Paint" !

Maybe a bed type liner paint would
give me the "look" I like?
And protection from rock chips?

This Is done quite regularly on the Sprinter type vans
And may Look Good on the Vanagon as well ?

Any Pic's out there?

I've discarded two Vanagon bras that came with the van.

Bras are so 1990 (even though this thread is from 2010).

In 2019 I flew to Iowa with a friend to pick up his $120K Revel Sprinter. In short order he painted the hood black. I didn't tell him that it seems to me that in a few years black paint on your Sprinter hood will be seen as the ratty old bra on a Vanagon in 2021: an outdated idea that was never good in the first place.

FWIW, YMMV...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4965938#4965938

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: To Bra or not To Bra Reply with quote

Energy Concepts wrote:

The Tabs on the Bra aren't really long enough
to wrap around the seal & body.

did you get the proper year bra? there are late model specific bras that take into account the door wind deflectors.

Dave - pass that bra along, don't trash it.

BiWerks Design, LLC
ThinkingD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: To Bra or not To Bra Reply with quote

I use one, I think it looks good with my 87 Titian Red Westy, the black breaks up the red.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: To Bra or not To Bra Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Mine came with a bra...... bra be gone!
No bra for me.

Of course I was "of age" during the 1960’s too, the time period where the whole anti-social norm braless thing developed.......

think Carley Simon and her "No Secrets" album....... (1972)
https://www.amazon.com/No-Secrets-Carly-Simon/dp/B...&psc=1

Dave

Long as we don't "Burn" them !!! Shocked
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: To Bra or not To Bra Reply with quote

[quote=
As ancient sage Cold Mountain advised "Do whatever works, whatever doesn't, don't."[/quote]
"I told the Doctor it Hurts when I do this"
He Billed me $50 bucks &&& Said:
"Don't Do That" !!! Laughing
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: To Bra or not To Bra Reply with quote

I found a good one and bought it. I ran it for a few months and checked under it. I noticed that there was a definite 'patina' left in the paint. I took it off and gave it away. I like the looks, and some of the function. The destruction is not to my taste.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: