Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small stroker
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Small stroker Reply with quote

I'm thinking of building a small stroker for my baja mainly to be used around town. Here is a list of what I was thinking about. I know some of you guys must have thought about or have built one. Any suggestions of comments about the combo would be apprecitated. I know I could get more hp out of a bigger combo but I would like to keep the mpg and have alittle torque.

1855cc
87 bore
78 stroke
dual 34 icts
comp of about 9:1
svda dist.
drd level 5 42x35 heads
cam this is what I'm not sure about any suggestions

Thanks Mike
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tkisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those carbs are far too small for the heads.
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang, I hate be critical, wait, heck no, you asked.

First off, i know you want to use the 87mm because you think it's going to save you a trip to the machine shop. Well, they are paper thin and about worthless if ever over heated. Plus I pretty dang sure they only come in "a" stroke, so this motor will be pretty wide.

Second, i glad your willing to get some good heads. But they will be starving with the tiny carbs, you need a min of 40mm carbs, I would get some 44 IDFs.

Cam, I would run the FK-43.

I would go ahead and bite the bullet and get 90,5 cylinders and it's not much trouble to go with a 82mm crank.

If your goal is to totally advoid the machine shop, I would go 85.5 X 76. equals 1745cc.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Small stroker Reply with quote

mrichard wrote:
I'm thinking of building a small stroker for my baja mainly to be used around town. Here is a list of what I was thinking about. I know some of you guys must have thought about or have built one. Any suggestions of comments about the combo would be apprecitated. I know I could get more hp out of a bigger combo but I would like to keep the mpg and have alittle torque.

1855cc
87 bore
78 stroke
dual 34 icts
comp of about 9:1
svda dist.
drd level 5 42x35 heads
cam this is what I'm not sure about any suggestions

Thanks Mike

I also second throwing the thin wall slip in 87's out of the equation.

I would amend you list too.

1745cc
85.5 bore
76 stroke
duel 34ict's/kadrons.
comp 8.8.5 to 1.
DRD level 3 heads
engle 100 cam 1.25 rocker.
1.3/8 header/ single quiet pack.

This would get you a tourquey little beast and keep the build cheap with a minimum of machining/ possibly none witht he right rods.

The next step would bea 78 by 88/90.5(machine in), this requires case clearencing, and case and head bore for the larger cylinder and bigger carbs and exhaust.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Migit
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my profile.... 45k on her and still running strong
inkstain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: I also second throwing the thin wall slip in 87's out of the Reply with quote

HEY KRUSHER WOULD THIS SETUP WORK IN A BUS?
mrichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krusher,
That sounds great but,, I alrerady have 2, 78mm cranks and a set of 5.4 and 5.5 rods. I also have 44's and 34's, along with a new case that as of right now has not been machined yet. Since it all has to be balanced anyway I don't mind doing any machine work necessary for the project. What I was looking for was a good small stroker combo that would get good mpg (30-35) and still have some low end torque for my baja. Something like the combo Jake posted awhile ago, that he said got 32 mpg on a trip across country. I think his was 78x90.5 with a 218 web cam. I know you or someone has a combo that they don't mind sharing. I just thought something smaller than 90.5 would get alittle better mpg.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: I also second throwing the thin wall slip in 87's out of Reply with quote

inkstain wrote:
HEY KRUSHER WOULD THIS SETUP WORK IN A BUS?

Yes it would be a lovley bus engine, the cam choice could possibly be tweeked for a bus to get even more TQ. But it would be fine as is.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrichard wrote:
Krusher,
That sounds great but,, I alrerady have 2, 78mm cranks and a set of 5.4 and 5.5 rods. I also have 44's and 34's, along with a new case that as of right now has not been machined yet. Since it all has to be balanced anyway I don't mind doing any machine work necessary for the project. What I was looking for was a good small stroker combo that would get good mpg (30-35) and still have some low end torque for my baja. Something like the combo Jake posted awhile ago, that he said got 32 mpg on a trip across country. I think his was 78x90.5 with a 218 web cam. I know you or someone has a combo that they don't mind sharing. I just thought something smaller than 90.5 would get alittle better mpg.

Mike

As james has allready said the problem is 76mm stroke is the max you can go to bofore you need stroker pistons, 78 buy 85.5 is just going to push the pistons so far out of the top of the barrels its to far to shim the barrels and the rod will not clear the barrel lower edge.

So you need some stroker B pistons which the smallest size of any quality are 90.5.

So 78 by 90.5 2007cc is your smallest option, the 44's would suit this, I would still say go for the drd level3's for the TQ.

You could allways seel both 78's and buy one 76 and go with the 1745 engine.

be carfull with what gearing youhave if youhave very tall tyres on a baja, as making the 4th gear very long may make the engine run hotter and also get less MPG.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NO rule that you have to put stroker pistons on stroker cranks.

But..there are advantages on using a higher pin height. Less rock or piston slap is the foremost advantage, 2nd the lenght of the motor will be negligible.

But you can use ANY combo you wish. You just have to know what you are doing and trying to achieve.

The thick wall 88mm or 90.5mm or 94mm would be your better choices for cylinders.

The 76mm and 78mm cranks will need the case cleared. It will not be a drop in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90.5 x78 would make a great engine. I also believe you can find some machine in 88mm strokers if you look real hard.

as far as stock stroke pistons and 78mm cranks it will work, but two problems. One the engine will be wide, this will/ could cause problems for engine tin and carb linkage.

Second, as krusher said, the piston is pulled pretty far out the bottom of the cylinder on the down stroke. Not really a problem, just causes it to rock , Not a problem on a low rpm motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: