Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine troubles, need input guys.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good progress!
And a couple questions. Wink
After putting on the new t.p.s. to the throttle body, did you adjust it?
While you had the t.b. in your hands did you happen to hold it up to the light and see what kind of fit the butterfly valve inside had? Was there a lot of daylight all around the edges? Tencent did a really great write-up on re-building the inside of the t.b. to eliminate leakage. I did the same thing, but using a different procedure. His way is much better. (wish I had seen his post before I did my rebuild). The result is a much crisper throttle response.
It sounds like you might have some other vac line leaks. In hunting down my own devil, I took off all the lines one by one, large lines and tiny, and found several hidden holes on undersides of the lines. Good luck to you.
And a question about your idle fluctuation: Is the idle fine and steady when you first start up, and then deteriorates as the temp needle moves into standard operating temps? When it does start to fluctuate does it slowly rise for about 4-5 seconds and then suddenly drop to normal, then repeating that pattern?
westy87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the square cover off of your AFM. Pry it off - you can silicone it back on afterwards. Check the wear pattern under the arm travel. Clean the wear pattern... See any white wear spots? Replace the AFM. It fixed my idle hunting issues. One obvious thing I mssed was the battery ground-to-body right there in the battery box. I replaced the cable and the bolt and sanded the body where the bolt makes contact. That also contributed to a smoother idling machine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EXITSTRATEGY
Samba Member

Location: rolling thunder river company, nantahalla gorge. NC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got as far as KBP's post on not suspecting fuel as "fixes itself". i have had this problem with other vehicles and checked the entire electrical system before discovering the filter in the fuel tank was bad. the vehicle (70 scout) would run just fine until the fuel demand was more than could squeak thru the crud. or until the carb ran dry. i have no idea how this relates to EFI, but i had to say it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EXITSTRATEGY
Samba Member

Location: rolling thunder river company, nantahalla gorge. NC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please keep up the thread and let others of us out here know how it is going so that we might also benefit someday and not suffer as you have.
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coupla hundred miles over the last few days back and forth to work, she has run fine, no hic-ups, no stalling out. I'd like to think it is the T.P.S. since it was the most expensive part. Wink

Levi- Yes I did adjust the switch to hear the click at idle and full throttle, the new one has a thin metal arm that had to be modified (bent) a little to make the connection. Like I said the O.G. one seemed better quality. Confused
The throttle body did seem to seal well along the butterfly's edges, 20 years of funk removed should help too. The idle fluctuation starts immediately, just the way you described.

EXITSTRATEGY- No I don't think it is a fuel related issue here but glad to hear that fixed your Scout. I think you just wanted to drop that you used to drive one of the ultimate off road vehicles. Wink I will check back and update if the idle position valve fixes the fluctuating RPM's problem.

I love my Van again! Razz

Last edited by vwjedi on Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wont be Pimpin' in the rented Malibu no more?? I bet your sad to see that go Very Happy

Glad to hear your back on track, if it acts up again I'd check the "flux capacitor" that happened once on my Delorean.

PS: I put the dee-rop on the westy today, pics soon Cool
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Can't wait to see it at the next campout. Wink
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to put in an update to the idle problem. After installing the throttle position switch I didn't have the stalling problem anymore, however she did still have the eratic idle.

While doing a tune up and investigation I noticed the wires leading to the Hall sensor on the distributor were worn and exposing copper, while taping it up the connections broke from 20 years of abuse it was a little brittle. I've had it rigged with Zip ties but the idle was funky fluctuating up to 3K rpms. Shocked That had to be changed.

Well, I bought a new Hall sensor from Van Cafe', basicly had to do a distributor rebuild to get it on. The disributor has to be removed, the pin that holds the drive gear on had to be drifted out, the distributor shaft must then be pulled out,new paper seals and watch out to keep all the shims where they were. Cleaned up with new cap/rotor/wires and plugs she is running smooth as butter now. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now there is another shiny part in the engine bay. Very Happy
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: IF just the connector / wires are funky, I recall you can buy just the connector and crimp ends. A little small surgery and you can also fix that. I used to do it. I think I still have the bits around for that job. I just wait for my Vanagon dizzy to fail. I have several donor dizzys from other period VWs to fix it with. I used to do a LOT of 16V dizzys, because people screwed them up fiddling with them. (You know the one with the glued on rotor!)

Good all is well...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I didn't describe it well. The black male connector seen on the left of the distributor was broken off. It is all one piece and when held on with a zip tie likes to ground out the wires and shut off the engine, especialy in rush hour traffic. Rolling Eyes

The wires leading to the connector female side were also worn where they route under the intake plenum. I re-routed them to go over the top and wrapped in wire protector loom, looks very sporty. Wink
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, those pins and that black connector can be bought. I used to. I think via Bosch through distribution. Not via the VW dealer. I had one once of my own where the springy part of the female side was broken off. Had to take a magnifying glass to see it.

Yep, those little parts can cause all sorts of grief!

Good you found it...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Yep, those pins and that black connector can be bought. I used to. I think via Bosch through distribution. Not via the VW dealer. I had one once of my own where the springy part of the female side was broken off. Had to take a magnifying glass to see it.

Yep, those little parts can cause all sorts of grief!

Good you found it...

Do you have a source for oem bosch connectors? The 2-pin jobbers don't seem hard to find, but others like the ones for the AFM, dizzy, or a 3-pin version of the standard 2-pin connectors seem hard to find.

Thanks,
-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only sourced the dizzy ones. The black one has a tiny part number on it. You get the parts directly through Bosch wholesale distribution. It has been years since I did it. I am not even sure where the parts are right now. I do recall getting new seals via VW and then the Bosch parts via Bosch. So I have to aak again. It is a VERY fiddly job, btw. I have the crimpers, somewhere, too. Soldering might be OK, but a gas tight crimp seems to be the best.

I am going to bet the AFM connectors are going to be tough. If you have a Bosch number, oft times that is all you need. You may wish to call Bosch at their tech support line. Might get lucky.

Stay tuned....

wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I am going to bet the AFM connectors are going to be tough. If you have a Bosch number, oft times that is all you need.

Good point on callig the Bosch support line. Just FYI, Walt, I'm thinking of my megasquirt thing, which i am starting to work on again. I want to make an all new wiring harness, including connectors, but it would be great to have a kit to renew the ancient connectors on our OEM harnesses, too.

-Damon
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon,

Understand. Actually, I am on the list for the replacement AFM that uses a hot wire MAF sensor. I think you really want to use a MAF instead. But that is MHO.

I need the part number off the little black dizzy connector. I do not have a spare dizzy loose. If I have the number, I think I can get the connectors. I know the connector that plugs into the dizzy can be gotten, as it was used on millions of A2s.

-W

wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I think you really want to use a MAF instead. But that is MHO.

The megasquirt will actually use a MAP sensor that i'll tuck out of the way somewhere. I plan on keeping the AFM in place, just to keep cali smog at bay and prevent them from asking questions. I also hope to use the temp1 sensor there, too, which necessitates having the proper (7 pin?) plug. I did find a few sources last night for the 2-pin, a 3-pin and what seems to be the AFM plug as well, but they are on a different computer. The 2 and 3 pin ones were from bus-boys. Also, AMP manufactures some of these connectors, so it is nice to be able to get it directly from the source. I think they are called Junior Timer series of connectors. Not a very easy site to navigate unless you are an electrical engineer, but you can get them in pretty colours! Laughing

I'll look at getting that number off the dizzy connector, but this is probably enough of a thread hijack as it is...

-Damon
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, another thread jack....damn, you know stuff happens....

BTW: Whilst jacking the thread, I thought, I might add my idea is still to use the original FI ECU box to mount the MegaSquirt in my self. I see more and more stuff and revisions coming out. By the time I get around to it, they will have it all ready to go and all I will have to do is plug it in! Ya, right...

Oh, so sorry for the OT, New thread time? When we get the connector numbers we will post those and refernece this as the reason why.

Call it "Connector Madness?"

Thanks all....

vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused UUmmm................really it was "broken". like pieces of plastic that were once one piece of plastic. I honestly think that replacing the hall sensor is the only way to properly fix a "broken" one.

The zip tie is not a "fix" either. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: