Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drinking in the back of my westy / RV / Camp- California Law
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
The state of California does not make a distinction between a camper and a non-camper when it comes to underage drinking in ANY vehicle. It is called "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" and you are going to jail, your car will be impounded, your license will be suspended, and the said minors will lose their licenses as well. If they are too young to have a license........they will be unable to obtain one for at least a year after they reach the age of 16.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/calbar/2cbj/01apr/mclestdy.htm

God, I'm glad I never had you as a teacher. Talk about a long year . . . Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoon wrote:
I don't get it.

California Business and Professions Code 25658. (a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), every person who sells, furnishes, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished,or given away, any alcoholic beverage to any person under the age of 21 years is guilty of a misdemeanor.

You don't have to be in a vehicle at all to get dinged with this one!
spoon
Samba Penetrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed the part where she said the three girls were underage.

EverettB wrote:
Type 3 > Type 1
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
53 0val wrote:
The state of California does not make a distinction between a camper and a non-camper when it comes to underage drinking in ANY vehicle. It is called "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" and you are going to jail, your car will be impounded, your license will be suspended, and the said minors will lose their licenses as well. If they are too young to have a license........they will be unable to obtain one for at least a year after they reach the age of 16.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/calbar/2cbj/01apr/mclestdy.htm

God, I'm glad I never had you as a teacher. Talk about a long year . . . Very Happy

Very Happy I feel the same way.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoon wrote:
Sorry, I missed the part where she said the three girls were underage.

You didn't miss it.........I assumed it. Embarassed
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

[quote="GeorgeL"][quote="udidwht"]As long as the alcohol stays out of the drivers area your legal in the state of California. This applies to RV's, Campers, Housecars, Limo's, etc...

As follows: see section (c)

Storage of Opened Container in Passenger Compartment

23226. (a) It is unlawful for any driver to keep in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway or on lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened, or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.

(b) It is unlawful for any passenger to keep in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway or on lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.

(c) This section shall not apply to the living quarters of a housecar or camper.[/quote]

You have to be a bit careful with this. The letter of the law makes it legal to have an open container in the back seat of a Westy, but the same open container in the back seat of my Deluxe would be illegal.

This leads to an troublesome dilemma. How do I transport that half-consumed bottle of Dom Perginon home from a fine dinner at Chez Expenseev? I can't have it anywhere inside my Deluxe and be legal! I guess that Dom is going to have to ride the roof rack, or cuddle up with the oil bottles in the engine bay. Smile

George[/quote]

It's clear as day...Deluxes do not fall under the exemption rule.

Not certain about Washington state law regarding open containers in vehicle/s. But I'm sure they have an exemption for RV's, limos, housecars, etc.

There are a lot of recreational vehicles on the roads of this country.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
udidwht wrote:
As long as the alcohol stays out of the drivers area your legal in the state of California. This applies to RV's, Campers, Housecars, Limo's, etc...

As follows: see section (c)

Storage of Opened Container in Passenger Compartment

23226. (a) It is unlawful for any driver to keep in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway or n lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened, or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.

(b) It is unlawful for any passenger to keep in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway or on lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.

(c) This section shall not apply to the living quarters of a housecar or camper.

You have to be a bit careful with this. The letter of the law makes it legal to have an open container in the back seat of a Westy, but the same open container in the back seat of my Deluxe would be illegal.

This leads to an troublesome dilemma. How do I transport that half-consumed bottle of Dom Perginon home from a fine dinner at Chez Expenseev? I can't have it anywhere inside my Deluxe and be legal! I guess that Dom is going to have to ride the roof rack, or cuddle up with the oil bottles in the engine bay. Smile

George

It's clear as day...Deluxes do not fall under the exemption rule.

That's what I said! However, there is another section that applies to that half-finished bottle of Dom in my Deluxe:

California Vehicle Code wrote:
23225. (a) (2) If the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk and is not an off-highway motor vehicle subject to identification, as defined in Section 38012, the bottle, can, or other receptacle described in paragraph (1) shall be kept in some other area of the vehicle that is not normally occupied by the driver or passengers.

So, without a trunk, I could put the bottle way in the back and be legal, unless Officer Friendly decides that someone could occupy that space. However, consuming under way is not an option. Somehow, this does not distress me.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would be distressed either, until.........................the red lights come on. Then, it's whatever the CHP decides is law. Wink
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
That's what I said! However, there is another section that applies to that half-finished bottle of Dom in my Deluxe:

California Vehicle Code wrote:
23225. (a) (2) If the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk and is not an off-highway motor vehicle subject to identification, as defined in Section 38012, the bottle, can, or other receptacle described in paragraph (1) shall be kept in some other area of the vehicle that is not normally occupied by the driver or passengers.

So, without a trunk, I could put the bottle way in the back and be legal, unless Officer Friendly decides that someone could occupy that space. However, consuming under way is not an option. Somehow, this does not distress me.

You are correct sir. By placing the bottle in the luggage area of your bus you are with in the law ...... so long as there is no Dom on your breath. Laughing

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
I don't think I would be distressed either, until.........................the red lights come on. Then, it's whatever the CHP decides is law. Wink

I'm not distressed about the inability of my passengers to imbibe. Having several potential vomiters in the back of my bus isn't a pretty picture. That stuff can be corrosive. Shocked
spoon
Samba Penetrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:

In Hawaii, when the "red lights" come on I usually stop or slow down. Normal practice when approaching a stoplight or when cars in front of you apply their brakes.

EverettB wrote:
Type 3 > Type 1
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoon wrote:
53 0val wrote:

In Hawaii, when the "red lights" come on I usually stop or slow down. Normal practice when approaching a stoplight or when cars in front of you apply their brakes.

Laughing I've spent the better part of the summer teaching at the University of Hawaii..........I know all about your "red lights." Truth is, there are more cops in Orange County than in the entire state of Hawaii. You haven't lived until you get pulled over by the CHP. Nazi Germany didn't have it that bad. You own a bus in California and it gets pulled over by the CHP; it is akin to being raped. You best not have an empty beer can........because they expect that all bus drivers are stoned hippies and the bus is transporting illegal aliens. I assure you they will find something wrong with your bus. I've been stopped many more times in my buses than I ever did in my Porsches, and I've owned many more Porsches. Wink
spoon
Samba Penetrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Porsche's... I am looking for a 928 S4/GT/GTS. Know of any good places to look? Any good Porsche forums worth a visit? Sorry for the OT post. Wink

EverettB wrote:
Type 3 > Type 1
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoon wrote:
Speaking of Porsche's... I am looking for a 928 S4/GT/GTS. Know of any good places to look? Any good Porsche forums worth a visit? Sorry for the OT post. Wink

That's a relative inexpensive Porsche........but it is by far the most expensive to repair. Low miles is the key here. Anything over 30,000 miles should be avoided. Wink
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
You haven't lived until you get pulled over by the CHP. Nazi Germany didn't have it that bad. You own a bus in California and it gets pulled over by the CHP; it is akin to being raped. You best not have an empty beer can........because they expect that all bus drivers are stoned hippies and the bus is transporting illegal aliens. I assure you they will find something wrong with your bus.

Y'know, my daily driver has been a bus since about 1990. That's 17 years Shocked. Almost all of it has been in California. Been pulled over twice in that time.

First time was a young LA county deputy who couldn't figure out how to enter an amateur radio license plate into his computer, so it came up "no record found". I showed him how to enter the number correctly (you have to put a space in the middle), it came up as me, and he sent me on my way.

The second time was by a CHP officer for a brake light out on US395 in the Sierras. I wiggled a wire and it started working again so he sent me on my way. He didn't comment on the wear bars showing on my left rear tire or make any attempt to go over my bus for any other violations.

Cops are humans with all the foibles of humanity. Some may be "nazi-like" but for every one of those there are many others who are just trying to get to the end of the day and a paycheck just like the rest of us.

George
hdsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the 3 girls were not underage. All college women over 21. I would never contribute to the deliquency of minors as I would hope no-one would ever contribute to mine. The girls just thought it was great that they could drink in the back of the camper...sorry for the confusion.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
53 0val wrote:
You haven't lived until you get pulled over by the CHP. Nazi Germany didn't have it that bad. You own a bus in California and it gets pulled over by the CHP; it is akin to being raped. You best not have an empty beer can........because they expect that all bus drivers are stoned hippies and the bus is transporting illegal aliens. I assure you they will find something wrong with your bus.

Y'know, my daily driver has been a bus since about 1990. That's 17 years Shocked. Almost all of it has been in California. Been pulled over twice in that time.

First time was a young LA county deputy who couldn't figure out how to enter an amateur radio license plate into his computer, so it came up "no record found". I showed him how to enter the number correctly (you have to put a space in the middle), it came up as me, and he sent me on my way.

The second time was by a CHP officer for a brake light out on US395 in the Sierras. I wiggled a wire and it started working again so he sent me on my way. He didn't comment on the wear bars showing on my left rear tire or make any attempt to go over my bus for any other violations.

Cops are humans with all the foibles of humanity. Some may be "nazi-like" but for every one of those there are many others who are just trying to get to the end of the day and a paycheck just like the rest of us.

George

Good for you George.........but I'm an a lifetime 11-99 Foundation member and do not drive a bus anymore. Wink
joe passalacqua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: booze and buses Reply with quote

all i can attest too is personal exp., here it goes.1992,,,,,,,,,huntington beach,,,,,,,,,,day before classic,,,,,,,,parked at pier with my 67westy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sitting with my wife on beach chairs with feet in sand,,,,,,,,,,,,no open cont.,,,,,,,,just sitting,,,,,,,,female officer rides up on atv and admiring bus and gentle conversation,,,,,,,,,,three more officers arrive,,,,then the question,any beer in your camper, yes officer, we are on vacation from out of town,we are camping and going to a vw show tomorrow,,officer says,,alcohol illegal from hwy 101 to water,,,wrote me a 75 ticket and ordered us to leave,,,,,,,,or face strip search of camper,impound and go to jail,,,,,,,,never been back to hunt...[my wife and i were celebrating our 30th wedding anniv. not a profile party card]...........thats it you decide.......
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you fight it in court? I'm sure it was cheeper to just pay the fine, huh?

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spoon
Samba Penetrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fight it. Probably would not have won. Regardless of the circumstances, breaking the law is breaking the law, and it sucks. Although, there is a slight chance that the DA would have been in a good mood and just might have dismissed the charges.

I just went to court for driving on a suspended license. I totally didn't know my license was suspended. I had a "DMV hold" on my license from another county because of an unpaid ticket. I went to court, and the public defender told me to go and get my license reissued. I went and paid my fine in that county to get the hold released and went to the DMV to complete my paperwork. Then I went to court again to show the judge that I have my license, and also to plead with him to let me slide because I did not know my license was suspended. Nope. Fuckin' bastard DA was like "well, on that date, you had no license. SO the law was broken. Blah blah blah..."

Yeah that pretty much sucked. $600 fine and 2 points on my license. I guess there's some good news. Two months ago when I got the suspended license ticket, the cop was supposed to tow my car and impound it for a minimum of 30 days! He must have been having a good day, because he spared me and just let me park the car on the side. Confused

EverettB wrote:
Type 3 > Type 1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: