Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Well, I did it.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Well, I did it. Reply with quote

I have drunk the Kool Aid that flows freely here at the Samba and today am the owner of a 1990 Carat. It wasn't the best deal I could have hoped for but I am pleased nonetheless.

A few questions:

Has anyone ever repaired the central door locks? If so, what typically goes wrong?

Has anyone successfully repaired the cruise control? If so, what typically goes wrong?

As far as I can tell there are no significant mechanical issues so all I have to focus on is luxury items like the above.

This Vanagon had it's heads done about 20k miles ago and the engine feels strong even with the chilly AC blowing. From all that I had read and experience with one other 2.1l I drove, I expected much less pep and power from this engine. It pulls well and feels pretty comfortable at 65-70mph.

Glad to have this resource - it is a font of knowledge that I'm sure I will require in the future.

Cheers!
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations............ if you search the Go Westy website they have some info on the power locks and how to fix them.
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. I haven't mined the resources at all of the other sites yet. It's cool - something new to immerse myself in.
aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome to the brethren!!
And don't worry about whatever you paid...
...you'll be paying more!! heeheehee!!! (evil laugh)

Somtimes I read through these posts and realize it represents an interesting human profile.
People who pour huge amounts of money, effort and pride into them because they are such unique and capable vehicles!
Unique and capable people...
People whose company I know I would enjoy! ..do enjoy!!

My Cruise Control was inop when I bought my most recent Vanagon.
It's a relatively simple system that works great when it's functioning.
Here's a link to that thread and what I found...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181056&highlight=cruise+control

When searching threads for technical stuff...
I always check the "Search Title Only" box and it will narrow it down sufficiently.
These threads often go far-afield (imagine that!)
...and what starts as a discussion about the brakes...
...will often touch on other important areas, such as sub-atomic particle physics.

There are a lot of very knowledgable and truly helpful people here!!

Enjoy!!!
james

mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Thanks aviator. Yes, some threads do ramble - in good way mostly.

Thanks for the link. I have been baffled by some of my search results. I'll master it eventually.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door locks fail mainly for minor things. Things like the wires in the rubber tubes fraying from opening anc closing the doors. Sometimes a gizmo may fail in one of the locks and cause the the system to fail. It's simple, follow the wiring diagram.

The cruise fails because of a vacuum fault. Usually the bellows is bad. Or a hose. The brain does not fail. The plug on the sensor on the Speedo has been known to fall off for one reason or another. You can check that in a heartbeat. Other than that, again, follow the schematic.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely in need of a Bentley manual. I haven't even located the CC/throttle mechanism yet.

Only significant mechanical fault I am experiencing after 40 miles is a sinking brake pedal at stoplights. In my previous automotive experience, this indicates a vacuum leak, fluid leak or a system needs to be bled. What do we think is most likely? There is good pressure until you stop and then the pedal sinks a bit and the van creeps forward a little. Seems like vacuum to me as there is no evidence of leaking fluid.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mordeaux wrote:
I am definitely in need of a Bentley manual. I haven't even located the CC/throttle mechanism yet.

Only significant mechanical fault I am experiencing after 40 miles is a sinking brake pedal at stoplights. In my previous automotive experience, this indicates a vacuum leak, fluid leak or a system needs to be bled. What do we think is most likely? There is good pressure until you stop and then the pedal sinks a bit and the van creeps forward a little. Seems like vacuum to me as there is no evidence of leaking fluid.

Sounds like a fluid issue to me. No fluids leaking then possibly a master cylinder as they somethimes fail internally.

Oh yea I found that my CC problems were mainly in the stalk, just crusty connections, Mine works when it wants too and I think its a lousy system its does not hold constant speed all that well, but its good to strech your legs now and again.
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did about 400 miles today in the Vanagon and all was well with two exceptions: one, after I stopped at an AutoZone to pickup some spare oil, I jump back in and the engine only fired with some effort and some judicious application of throttle. When it did fire, it did so badly. I revved it to about 2k rpm and then it died off.

To make matters worse, I go to open the liftgate to check out the engine and the lock won't operate. Key seems to be doing nothing. I tried all possible postions and pressures with the key to no avail. I'm hoping there is some way to release it by taking the interior panel off.

The engine finally started and I was away. It has not happened since. It was very warm today in E. North Carolina and I can only imagine that the heat had some role in the non-starting engine.

It was very nice to have chilly AC the whole way though the fresh air intake at the front won't shut completely so there was the battle between frigid air and hot, moist air. Plenty of condensation along the AC duct.

Is the fresh air not shutting off completely typically a linkage problem or a foam seal on the baffle problem?

All and all a good ride and I'm pleased to say it motors fairly comfortably at 65 mph with the AC on.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To open the hatch, rotate the key so the slot is horizontal then press inward on the button. The key does not need to be in the lock to release the latch. Horizontal is unlocked, vertical is locked.

Supposedly to get the front center vents to completely close you need to replace the foam on the heater box. It entails removing the dash which is an all day job. Although, on my 86 I can see foam on the flaps just inside the vents in front of the shifter. As soon as I can figure out how to remove that big cover, I'm planning to replace the foam and see if there is a partial improvement.
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks. unfortunately, no key position is unlocked. I think the cylinder is shot.

I found the extensive posts on air intake seal replacement. The dash removal looks like an afternoon's work at least.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to The BEST VW source !! I tell someone once a week about this site, anyone that has a VW or likes one of the rigs I'm driving. Last month, 2 55 year old women looked over my truck for 10 minutes , I said " check out thesamba.com, you'll find a few of these".......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are enjoying the quirks of the VW world we all hate and love. Your lucky to have a fully operational AC system. I have owned two Vanagons and neither have a working AC. Most don't with out a total over haul.

My cruise works "knocking on wood" on my current Carat, but the previous one did not. Never found the problem with that bus.

Door lock wiring plugs can ge corroded. check there first.

I just got done putting in a keyless entry remote lock set up. Works Nice !
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of a keyless lock system did you put in? Did you have power locks prior? I have manuals, and would love to retro with power and a keyless system with remote.

Mordeaux... welcome to the 'club'!

-Jared

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: