Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Bastard" Engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: My Near "Bastard" Engine Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Bastard mania!
I was going through all the crap on the side of the garage and found these two, which I knew I had, but forgot where.
Have a Sept.59 SO23 Westy and was planning on a heavily massaged bastard engine, but cheesed out and built a 1600 based 1800cc engine.
Anyway, one of the things tha the put me off was the thrust bearing issue, but now I think that is a non issue. It looks to me like the engines either came with a normal thrust bearing location or were updated.
I also found a bastard only muffler. And a NOS flywheel seal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice one of your engine cases is only 249 digits after mine. That must have been right when they switched from the webbing around the rear main seal because neither side of your case has that webbing. Once side of mine does. I have already collected some NOS parts for mine including a new VW stamped muffler and a NOS rear main oil seal and a complete engine gasket kit.
DragonSnake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Near "Bastard" Engine Reply with quote

Hi, very interesting reading. I’m curious if anyone knows what the numbers/lettering under the engine number mean, from the pics i took of the case. I have a complete 1200 engine with bastard heads, tinware etc..
How do i tell if it was restamped? Did i read wrong only bastard cylinders/heads for a bastard case?
Thanks very much
—al

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My Near "Bastard" Engine Reply with quote

I can't read your case number but the left half of the case was cast on June 13th, 1962 during the 3rd shift. The right case half was cast June 7th, 1962 during the 1st shift.
DragonSnake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: My Near "Bastard" Engine Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I can't read your case number but the left half of the case was cast on June 13th, 1962 during the 3rd shift. The right case half was cast June 7th, 1962 during the 1st shift.

Thank you. The engine number is way off the numbers for a bastard case. But it is 6873484. And underneath in big markings 4AC49 . Underneath that in smaller markings 2RP28-15. When you say third/first shift can you please direct me to where I can read more about that, thanks.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: My Near "Bastard" Engine Reply with quote

Those are the numbers cast into the case behind the flywheel.

Yours were decoded above. I knew the case was not bastard and from 1962 already just by the serial number, so all I needed to see were the "2s"at the end of the date codes.

Here's another example of how they are decoded.

I don't think those other extra numbers stamped below the serial have any meaning from VW.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DragonSnake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: My Near "Bastard" Engine Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Those are the numbers cast into the case behind the flywheel.

Yours were decoded above. I knew the case was not bastard and from 1962 already just by the serial number, so all I needed to see were the "2s"at the end of the date codes.

Thank you. I’m puzzled when were the rear marks on the case made, at time after casting or later on in production line.

Other than the engine number and rear marks, is there any other significant difference’s to look for. Other than the trust bearing #2 and vent from what i read from this post.
ericblitzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: My Near "Bastard" Engine Reply with quote

Hey ya'll

Working on a Aug '57 built Type 1, and have an April '60 built 1200 engine to build up along side it. I do not know from what kind of car this engine came out of.

This thread is the first I've heard of the "bastard" engine; is my engine of the bastard variety? Case number 3764555. If so, what do I need to know in order to build it into a period-correct-ish power plant for the bug?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: My Near "Bastard" Engine Reply with quote

Does it have a removable generator stand?

If No, it's a regular Bug 36hp
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ericblitzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: My Near "Bastard" Engine Reply with quote

Non removable. Thanks.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Found out my May 60 double cab came with a bastard engine. So time to get serious.
Using this case which was cut for the standard location thrust bearing but still for the Bastard mains. I'm going to run a 69mm crank so need it cut for regular bearings. Going to narrow a set of 40 horse rods with 83mm Pistons and cylinders which will get me to 1500cc.
Plan on using this set of home made dual carb manifolds with back in the day modified 28PCIs, which have bigger Venturi and jets. No choke either. Gonna tear up the strip with these!
Will have to figure out linkage. It came with some funky homemade Okrassa like linkage, but might try to come up with something more elegant.
Went through my two boxes of crap and found a couple bastard fuel pumps, correct cylinder tins, period pulley and I have a correct shroud though I might run a aftermarket 36hp style doghouse cooler set up. Can't really tell when it's in there.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

FWIW, the bastard I built for Eddie some 10 years ago and had sat since then awaiting for the bus to get finished, we just got it fired up and it purred like a kitten! Cool
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
FWIW, the bastard I built for Eddie some 10 years ago and had sat since then awaiting for the bus to get finished, we just got it fired up and it purred like a kitten! Cool

Damn, it's been that long!!
I got a lot of his Bastard leftovers, I think even the case.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Damn, it's been that long!!
I got a lot of his Bastard leftovers, I think even the case.

Hey now, you cant rush perfection...lol

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Soda blasting might bring that case back. I had a similar NOS case that was stored for years in a damp garage and very fuzzy. I soda blasted it and it looked great, it's been on the road 2+ years now.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

I was at a sale this weekend and I got two sets of bastard heads.One set had the small two nut cover and I found the cylinders to match those heads.The other set had the cover area filled in and they would accept regular 40 hp jugs.I would like to know if there is any oversized pistons available for those bastard cylinders.

bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

So this thread has been going on for close to 14 years now. It sure is full of great info! But one thing I am still wondering about, has anyone yet to have a generation 1 or 2 bastard case with the 100mm flywheel seal and 60mm OD mains align bored for the later modern 65mm main bearings? If so please post details.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
So this thread has been going on for close to 14 years now. It sure is full of great info! But one thing I am still wondering about, has anyone yet to have a generation 1 or 2 bastard case with the 100mm flywheel seal and 60mm OD mains align bored for the later modern 65mm main bearings? If so please post details.

Bump.
I am looking to have my case align bored for standard bearings and cut for the standard thrust.
Years ago people used Rimco, but looking at the feedback thread I don't feel comfortable sending it there and my local machinist, who can't do it because he doesn't have a fixture for the bar, called them an they didn't know what he was talking about Rolling Eyes
So, any suggestions?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
bastardbus wrote:

Bump.
I am looking to have my case align bored for standard bearings and cut for the standard thrust.
Years ago people used Rimco, but looking at the feedback thread I don't feel comfortable sending it there and my local machinist, who can't do it because he doesn't have a fixture for the bar, called them an they didn't know what he was talking about Rolling Eyes
So, any suggestions?

I'm assuming the local guy you tried is Dennis?

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
bastardbus wrote:

Bump.
So, any suggestions?

I'm assuming the local guy you tried is Dennis?

Yeah. He uses a fixture that mounts to the oil seal to align bore, which is what most shops use, the apature is of course different from a 36, 40/1500/1600 or type 4 case so he can't do it.
He said some shops use a universal fixture that mounts to the front of the case, but he doesn't know who would have that set up.
I called Motorworks, too, but the guy there said he uses the same set up as Dennis.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Ask at GeneBerg.com or call Paradise Motorsports.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: