Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Bastard" Engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Ask at GeneBerg.com or call Paradise Motorsports.

Yes, Paradise would be the next skilled suggestion I was thinking.

Dennis is almost always the man though!

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Hi all not sure if I am posting this in the correct place. But. I am currently rebuilding my bastard engine. And have found some rocker cover gaskets that fit. Part number is from just kampers in the UK and also the Empi part number. JK PART NUMBER: J20274 OEM PART NUMBER: 00-9088- If this is old news apologies but I struggled to find them and they were not listed for the bastard engine but I took a chance as the picture looked like it would work. Anyway great forum and source of information. And if anyone has an air cleaner and distributor they are interested in selling let me know. Carl.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Hi all.

Not sure if anyone can help me.

I have been cleaning up a bastard motor Whilst I build a bigger motor to use. Anyway. I thought the motor was good. But now it’s back in it has no compression on cylinders 2 and 4. I put some air up the bores with an airline and it would seem that the valves are not seated.

So I will have to pull the motor back out and have the heads off. The question I am asking is. Are the gaskets available for this motor. Will
I need seats ? New valves ? Are these available. Or will this be unknown until I rip it apart. And any other problems I may come up against. I have uploaded the head casting numbers hoping that will identify what I have to someone with more knowledge than myself.

Thanks.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

If you have proper valve gap, then it is time to take apart to see what needs to be done to fix it.
Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If you have proper valve gap, then it is time to take apart to see what needs to be done to fix it.

Hi Eric and barb.

I even wound the rockets right off so there was no chance of gapping being a problem.

I was just concerned about taking it all apart and not being able to get the parts required to rebuild it. Although like you say if I don’t take it apart I will not know what is required. Thank you for your reply. You have been a great source of knowledge since I have been posting on here.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Motorbod wrote:

I even wound the rockets right off so there was no chance of gapping being a problem.

Even with the adjusting screws are wound all the way out, if the push rods are too long the rockers themselves could be keeping the valves pushed open.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Looks like a 2nd generation "Bastard" head?

Are you asking about complete engine gasket sets? I doubt that any current big retailer has them as there would be low demand for niche "Bastard" stuff, but I'd bet that sets occasionally pop up for sale in the classified ads. Some collector, or someone who has no clue that the "40hp" set he has and doesn't need will put it up for sale... I don't know the part number off the top of my head for a complete set, but someone here will have it and might post it up so you can keep an eye out... Best of luck, great to see another "Bastard" engine coming back to life...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

In the classified section there is a new set of partial gaskets for a Bastard engine, if you need it you better grab it because they do not make they anymore.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2249705
Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Looks like a 2nd generation "Bastard" head?

Are you asking about complete engine gasket sets? I doubt that any current big retailer has them as there would be low demand for niche "Bastard" stuff, but I'd bet that sets occasionally pop up for sale in the classified ads. Some collector, or someone who has no clue that the "40hp" set he has and doesn't need will put it up for sale... I don't know the part number off the top of my head for a complete set, but someone here will have it and might post it up so you can keep an eye out... Best of luck, great to see another "Bastard" engine coming back to life...

Bill Bowman

Thanks Bill. I have sent a message to the guy that ronjonlasvegas has posted. Fingers crossed on that one. I should then be able to whip the heads off and see what has happened. I poured dm some diesel down the bores in hope that I may just have a pair of sticky valves where it’s been stood up so long. But I won’t hold my breath in that one.

Be glad to drive it. It has been 3 years in the making.

Thanks again. Carl.
Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
In the classified section there is a new set of partial gaskets for a Bastard engine, if you need it you better grab it because they do not make they anymore.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2249705

Thanks ronjon. I have mailed him. Hopefully he will come back to me. Otherwise I may be trying to make head gaskets. 🥴🥴

Carl.
Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

I have paid for the gaskets. So I will update you all
On the progress when they arrive and I pull the motor back out.

Thanks again for your help all !!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

I bought a brick of Bastard/early 40HP valve cover gaskets many years ago. They were rather shite. I know I've talked about them before, can't remember where... let me search: Okay, it was in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391051&

glutamodo wrote:
Oh, by the way, a while back a saw some of those Bastard/early 40HP valve cover gaskets up on eBay. I think like in like packs of 20. Not horribly priced so I bought a pack. Well, beware of them, they are quite thin! Almost, but not quite, thin enough that you could double them up. Heres a comparison to a good normal valve gasket

And some more recent comparison photos:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Hi All.

Just a quick one. Whilst I’m waiting for the gaskets to turn up. I will no doubt need new pushrod tubes? And rubbers for them.

Are they different to the usual 1200 ones. ? Or am I ok just ordering the tubes and seals for a 1200 ? Also. Anyone got opinions on what are good tubes. Or should I ask. Bad tubes. I don’t want them leaking hey.

Oh. Whilst I’m after advise. Does the title show how many owners a vehicle has. Over here in the UK. Our does. But I don’t seem to see it on the title I got with the bus. Sorry that’s off subject.

Thanks.

Carl.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Motorbod wrote:
Hi All.

Oh. Whilst I’m after advise. Does the title show how many owners a vehicle has. Over here in the UK. Our does. But I don’t seem to see it on the title I got with the bus. Sorry that’s off subject.

Thanks.

Carl.

Carl,

i think this may be different from state to state. Here in Georgia for example you have the title and on the back there is room for up to 4 sellers i think.

Do you have a title? or just a bill of sale?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Motorbod wrote:

Just a quick one. Whilst I’m waiting for the gaskets to turn up. I will no doubt need new pushrod tubes? And rubbers for them.

Are they different to the usual 1200 ones. ? Or am I ok just ordering the tubes and seals for a 1200 ? Also. Anyone got opinions on what are good tubes. Or should I ask. Bad tubes. I don’t want them leaking hey.

You can look up parts in the original VW dealer parts manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

The below are from the engine section:

Left click on the above images to open each up in another window. Left click again so image is blown up for easy reading.

"Technical" button above on right of this page has "VIN / Chassi Numbers" in the pop up list when you hover your mouse cursor over that button. That way you can sort out when from the engine numbers there.
Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Motorbod wrote:
Hi All.

Thanks.

Carl.

Carl,

i think this may be different from state to state. Here in Georgia for example you have the title and on the back there is room for up to 4 sellers i think.

Do you have a title? or just a bill of sale?

Ok understood thanks.

I have the title. But I couldn’t see anything. On the back. It came from Minnesota if that helps.

It would be great to know. As I was told it was a one owner.

The story of it ties up to being a one owner but hey. Who knows. I am not obsessed by the number of owners just would be good to know.

Carl
Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Motorbod wrote:

You can look up parts in the original VW dealer parts manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

The below are from the engine section:

Left click on the above images to open each up in another window. Left click again so image is blown up for easy reading.

"Technical" button above on right of this page has "VIN / Chassi Numbers" in the pop up list when you hover your mouse cursor over that button. That way you can sort out when from the engine numbers there.

Thanks Eric And barb.

Great piece of info. I am reading this on my phone. But will use the computer over the weekend to ascertain. The correct parts.

Thanks again. Carl.
Motorbod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Hi all.

I managed to pull the heads off my bastard engine today.
Pretty obvious why it wasn’t running in 2 cylinders. One valve burnt out on each head. Embarassed

Anyone know if these valves are bastard only or if other valves fit ?

Also I took a look at the rear oil seal. Not what I was expecting. But I need to try and source a replacement as this on is weeping.

Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Exhaust valves are the same as the standard 40 hp. You're heads are still old enough to have the tall rocker stand castings ,so you should have the smaller head to cylinder spigots .If you don't have a set of over sized pistons to rebuild those bastard only cylinders you could just re-ring it or bore you're heads to accept std. 40 h.p. jugs. I have found that the #1 culprit that causes burnt valves,"other than lack of maintenance"; is casting flaws around the exhaust valve guide. Just look for differences where casting flash obstructions are where cooling holes should be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Your case halves were poured a week apart in February of '60.

Is that main seal Bastard size? For some reason (without going to my shed and measuring) it looks regular size.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: