Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Bastard" Engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Your case halves were poured a week apart in February of '60.

Is that main seal Bastard size? For some reason (without going to my shed and measuring) it looks regular size.
I wonder what was the latest pouring date that had the large rear main seal casting "early bastard" ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Does anybody have info on bastard transmission case part#s ..im looking for a bastard transmission and need info so it will lead me to one...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Does anybody have info on bastard transmission case part#s ..im looking for a bastard transmission and need info so it will lead me to one...

Have you tried:

http://www.oacdp.org/

For the original VW dealer parts manuals there?
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Third generation heads reborn.1-30-21
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

I'm curious to know if anybody has any pliable / soft valve cover gaskets for these "bastard" engines?
I read somewhere on this thread that someone has 'em but can't find which post? Thanks.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

This is the special valve cover I modded to fit my bastard cylinder head. It started life as a regular 40 hp cover. The 40 hp valve cover offers a lot more surface area in the dip portion of the cover .I then spot weld retaining strips to properly locate the gasket so it can not slip out.

sundialer66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Do we have a definitive vin number when Vw Switched to the bastard? Some discrepancies between this site and prog. Ref.
Thanks.
Redlocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

According to the Bentley manual, page M-9, 6a:

The True Bastard Engine:
1ST GENERATION FROM ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS: 3 400 000 - 3 491 699

The "hybrid" Bastard/40 Horse:
2nd generation from 3 491 700 - 3 520 332 (I believe that these are basically an ordinary 40-horse block / crank) I am not sure if the cam and its bearings, or lack of, are involved or not, with some Bastard accessories.

But hey... I am not an expert. Anyone else? Anymore advice?

71 Super Beetle (stolen)
71 Squareback (rusted, junked)
71 Squareback (factory-dealer A/C, sold)
68 Bus, sold
68 Beetle (baja'd, sold)
78 "Golf" (total burn)
81 Scirocco S (sold, bought back, sold again)
81 Scirocco S (sold)
86 Scirocco (sold)
83 GTI (DSP auto-crossed, sold)
84 GTI (sold)
2000 New Beetle
'60 Microbus Std. / Mango (project in progress)
sundialer66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Thank you! I meant the chassis number, but it has been cleared up as
469 447
May 19. 1959
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

I posted this today in the Gallery so it's there for reference:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Try this again

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

^^ 2 sets- one is 77.46 and the other is 77.95
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Nice!
I just got a set of long ago rebuilt heads out of a scrap bin…
I guess I should take some pics! Very Happy
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible exhaust damper for bastard bus? Reply with quote

Redlocker wrote:
Redlocker wrote:
I recently acquired a Bastard engine with a serial number indicating the correct month of manufacture for my bus. I have not opened it up yet to see what I now own. But I know I will somehow piece a "corrected" version of this engine together as time / money allow.

I also have managed to secure an authentic N.O.S. Bastard bus muffler (the type with the exhaust outlet angled to the left side of the bus (but I will not have it for a month or so). I have a correct exhaust tip (Thanks Everett). I am now trying to find a correct damper to complete the assembly.

I am almost certain that the later 40 HP dampers designed to fit the straight exhaust outlet (not the angled one that early bastard engines had) are not the correct damper. But would they work if the 90 degree angled was opened up a little (meaning is that the only difference between the correct damper and the easier to find one)?

Additionally, does anybody know if a type III damper (it has the curved pipe to fit into the angled outlet) would work, assuming I welded on the missing tab that attaches it to the muffler ?

The Type III Damper I am referring to:

I also thought if I knew some of the measurements of the bastard dampers/muffler outlet that could help as well.

Thanks for any help, advice, or corrections.

Well that answers the type III damper possibility.

Can anyone help out with any of the other questions? Especially this one:

"I am almost certain that the later 40 HP dampers designed to fit the straight exhaust outlet (not the angled one that early bastard engines had) are not the correct damper. But would they work if the 90 degree angled was opened up a little (meaning is that the only difference between the correct damper and the easier to find one)?"

Thanks again.

This may have already been already answered long ago since the post was from 2013, but this evening I just measured my original outlets on my two NOS "Bastard" exhaust systems and the angled outlet pipe on both mufflers was about 32.5 mm inner diameter. I also have a couple of damper pipes for those mufflers with the angle pipe to match the exhaust systems and they were right around 31.9mm to 32 mm in outer diameter, so you can see that they slip right into the NOS mufflers. Sorry if that has already been posted here

While I was digging around in the dusty parts shelves in the basement I realized that I had two complete used air cleaners with pipes to the carb, the triangle brackets and the braces for "Bastard engines plus one NOS bastard air cleaner assembly. Damn I got to get down there a little more and dig around, pretty fun!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

A Bastard was added to my family recently. 26k original miles. I am surprised it looks like the exhaust was changed. I can understand a new fuel pump but only 26k miles or less on an exhaust seems early. Is that bracket off the bumper to hold part of the exhaust?

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Yes on the bumper bracket, it's a rubber piece like this ad:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2574624
and

They were used before the larger triangular piece.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

I have used those rubber pieces between the bumper bracket and the tailpipe, and they always break.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I have used those rubber pieces between the bumper bracket and the tailpipe, and they always break.

I wonder why Lind? I have had one of those rubberized support pieces between the muffler and metal bracket on the bumper bracket on my June of 1959 SWR Panel for over two decades of use now and it still looks to be in great condition. Well, so far anyway...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Lind wrote:
I wonder why Lind? I have had one of those rubberized support pieces between the muffler and metal bracket on the bumper bracket on my June of 1959 SWR Panel for over two decades of use now and it still looks to be in great condition. Well, so far anyway...

Bill
How many miles in that time? Maybe my engines like to move around more or the old NOS rubber is just too hard and brittle.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
sundialer66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: "Bastard" Engines Reply with quote

All time best thread.
Does anyone have an example of a re-stamped case? I have a case with perfect bastard era numbers only to learn it’s a dealer stamped replacement? Did dealers have factory stamps? Thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: