Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ash tray ipod dock holder?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Ash tray ipod dock holder? Reply with quote

Has anyone converted their ash tray into an ipod dock holder? I finally got my ipod set up to a direct auxillary input on my stereo (no more FM transmitter!!!), and now I'm looking for a good spot to mount the ipod dock in the Westy. Maybe somebody smarter than me (and that's most everyone here) can come up with some ideas...?

Cheers!
-Jared

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared,
I don't think I'm any smarter, but I just put my iPod direcly into the ash tray, upright seems to work fine for me. It might be a little disgusting if your ash tray has been serving its primary purpose and not been cleaned out.

Cheers,
James
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ash tray ipod dock holder? Reply with quote

backcountrymedic wrote:
Has anyone converted their ash tray into an ipod dock holder? I finally got my ipod set up to a direct auxillary input on my stereo (no more FM transmitter!!!), and now I'm looking for a good spot to mount the ipod dock in the Westy. Maybe somebody smarter than me (and that's most everyone here) can come up with some ideas...?

Cheers!
-Jared

What radio is in your Westy and what device did you use to wire up the iPod to it?

I am going to install a stock Heidelberg AM/FM Cassette back into mine so I can do the cassette tapes once in a while and wanted to connect my iPod to it also so I have a big sound selection. I was going to get one of those cheap FM Modulator units that connect direct to the antenna lead so it kills the station of choice and therefor, you get a better signal than a FM deal that is wireless.

What exact setup did you get.

tj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P4600MP. It's a single disc player, that'll play CD-RW discs in MP3, WMA, & WAV formats. It's also XM ready, and can control a CD changer. Pioneer makes a cable that'll convert the CD changer control port into an auxillary RCA input. I installed that adapter today, and then did some creative wiring...

I spliced into my existing 12V outlet on the dash, and installed a 'hidden' 12V outlet behind the glovebox. Then, I bought the Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/dock connector which acts as both 12V power cable, and (here's the cool feature), has a 3.5mm audio out jack on the charging unit. I hooked up a 3.5mm to stereo RCA output cable, and stashed everything in the glovebox. Now I have direct iPod to head unit, without the issues of an FM modulator or transmitter. Beauty, eh?

Now, I just wanna figure out a good place to keep the iPod within reach.

Cheers!
-Jared

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grunwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have no more interest in cassettes and only play the occasional CD, I was looking for something to play my iPod almost exclusively while keeping a low profile. When I used the cassette adaptor for my iPod I always felt like I had to conceal it if I was leaving the van. With my new system the sound quality is better, it is always charging, there are no wires sticking out for adaptors or chargers (the one in the second photo is for a dashboard fan), and I never have to fiddle with the iPod itself.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice the iPod resting comfortably in the glove box.

It's only on the dash for the photo; otherwise I never see it. Also, you can disconnect at any time, unlike disconnecting from a computer. And it says Hello to me.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just let mine sit in there sideways. But I use a Monster FM Transmitter/Charger (not good enough for you Audiophiles, but works well enough for me).

This guy made a very cool Ipod dock in his ashtray:

http://www.251.org/83VgoniPod.html

Joe T.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I just let mine sit in there sideways. But I use a Monster FM Transmitter/Charger (not good enough for you Audiophiles, but works well enough for me).

This guy made a very cool Ipod dock in his ashtray:

http://www.251.org/83VgoniPod.html

Joe T.

Now that is some cool stuff right there. I likey likey.

tj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a JVC head unit that mounted up in about a half an hour. $120 including the VW specific wiring harness. The head unit has an input in the rear for a CD changer. I found a cable, manufactured by Soundgate (AUXPDJVC), for $28 that plugs into the CD changer input. This charges the iPod, but does not display the info on the head unit screen, or allow head unit controls to adjust the iPod. Plug and play. No wire splicing.

I ran the cable into the glove box. I usually put the iPod in the ashtray when in use, and close the glove box on the cable. Clearance is good. Great sound, too.

I'm saving my pennies for four Polk Audio 4" round speakers to replace the OE. Maybe a subwoof under the backward facing seat, as well.

Regards,
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a high end kenwood deck with RCA inputs in the back. I just wired up an RCA>Mini plug, which comes out right near the shifter at the very bottom of the dash. works quite well.
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceye wrote:

Maybe a subwoof under the backward facing seat, as well.

I've been thinking about that as well - I have an old 12" Kicker just taking up space in my basement...
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XM reciever wired into my Auxiliry port on the head unit, when I camp with buddies that have an iPod I can plug in their shit and listen to it too. It doesn't sit in any cool craddle but I like the ashtray mount.

I have a amp under the driver seat for the sub with cap. No drilling so if you want to steal it just pull it out. Wink

The sub is a 12" Rockford Fosgate in a box that is too small, but it fits behind rear facing jump seat when camping.

The head unit powers 4" RF surrounds and has a built in crossover for low width bypass, it has enough power to keep me happily cruising down the road, and I didn't cut anything bigger or drill anything that can't be removed. Very Happy

Jared-I know this way more BS than you asked about, 'cause I don't even have an iPod but I have been drinking tonoght and the wife is out of town so I have nothing better to do. Wink
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good times! Adult beverages and The Samba! Just had an adult beverage myself Wink

And keep it up... I love the stereo ideas/tech talk.

-Jared

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Muskrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i came across this site which details an actual plug in dock built into a vanagon ashtray. www.251.org theres a section titled my vw's, click on vanagon then click on 1983.5 vanagon/subby 2.2 then click on ipod dock and there ya go.
bself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, that's exactly what i'd envisioned doing/wanting but really hadn't put much thought into it. thanks for the link.
thecaptian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any one is looking for a lil' cheaper way and works great Clarion makes the best FM modulator (direct in to head-unit through antenna) I have found. Comes with all the wiring, 12 volt, disconnect switch the works. What i thought was cool is that instead of a 1/8 jack it has a/v (r/l) cables so your options aren't limited. Also for any one interested I am installing a old mac clamshell into my van as a media centre and will be posting the progress.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptian wrote:
If any one is looking for a lil' cheaper way and works great Clarion makes the best FM modulator (direct in to head-unit through antenna) I have found. Comes with all the wiring, 12 volt, disconnect switch the works. What i thought was cool is that instead of a 1/8 jack it has a/v (r/l) cables so your options aren't limited. Also for any one interested I am installing a old mac clamshell into my van as a media centre and will be posting the progress.

Tell me more about the Clarion modulator. I have been thinking about getting one of these generic ones on eBay. What model and where di you get yours and tell me more.

Thanks

tj
Monoscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In doing a lot of research on this I've found many, many options and even more opinions on the subject of the best sound quality for the iPod into a car stereo.
The consensus seems to say that FM transceivers Suck the most.
1/8" headphone jack to cassette Suck almost as much.
1/8" headphone jack to RCA is only barely acceptable.
Line out audio (dock connector) is the "Only" way to go.

But as far as options for the Dock connector to have line out (RCA) and charging while still having iPod based control (as opposed to stereo control) were really hard to find.
The Harman Karden Drive + Play looks cool and wasn't that expensive, but I don't really have a good place for the controller and the screen is more of an enticement to break into the van. It also got some not so good reviews for factors such as the fact that the firmware isn't upgradeable and poor scrolling with big libraries.

The other options all seemed geared to replace the CD changer option on most newish stereos (but that puts the stereo in control of the iPod) or plug into new cars. That is until I found the XtremeMac Roadshow connector. It has all the criteria I was looking for (charging, Line out, iPod based control and video if I ever choose to do that), it also is backwards compatible.
From the review at iPodLounge.com http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/xtrememac-roadshow-car-av-cable-for-ipod-with-video/
the opening quote said the most "It’s a professional auto installer’s dream cable"
and the best part is that it's $35 from clubmac.com. I'm ordering one today.
It's got 8' of cable so I'll probably run it under the carpet to the Alien Coffee Box between the seats and just keep it there.

thecaptian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant remember the model # but i Got mine form ebay for 30 dollars + shipping. I found that it works really great better than almost anything I have ever hear. It has volume control on the modulator itself so it can be adjusted along with the head-unit so when you switch over to ipod all control is there even volume. You might get something if you search clarion modulator or transmitter.
eargenbr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a "Bazooka" (power tube subwoofer with a built in amp (comes in its own enclosure that is tube shaped with the amp inside)) under my rear bench seat. Completely easy to install (just run a larger guage power wire from your batter back to the power tube, I hid mine under the carpet) and more bass than anyone needs. My whole system is higher end stuff but the "Bazooka" was only 100 bucks, if I remember correctly, and works killer. You can run your speaker wires the same as your power wire or use the ones that already run to the original rear speakers, which is what I did and it sounds great with after market speakers. The wire is a little thin but works o.k.. I don't know what this has to do with ipods but there you go.

Cheers.
bread geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed an alpine deck in my westy that is ipod ready.It has a cable that comes out the back of the deck wich i ran to my glove box.that is where i keep my ipod because all your scrolling and info is controlled from the deck.email me if you have any questions.Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: