Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

School me on the 1967 one year only stuff
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

As I understand it, the radios were dealer installed, and they used up stock as they had it. Even though the '67 was the first 12v Beetle radio, the suppliers probably used up their stock of chrome knobs first before switching over to the black ones. Long story short, either chrome or black is proper for a '67.

My Sapphire V also had chrome knobs.

1967 VW Beetle - Savannah Beige Very Happy
2002 VW GTi - Reflex Silver (Sold) Sad
1966 VW Beetle - Bahama Blue (Sold) Sad
1961 Porsche 356B Roadster - Signal Red (Sold) Brick wall
1966 VW Beetle - Sea Sand (Sold) Sad
South Jersey Volkswagen Club
Central Jersey Volkswagen Society
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
Would the knobs on this Sapphire V be correct for '67 or should they be smooth black too?? I've seen other photos of V's with black knobs but not sure it that is correct. Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 67 came with that Sapphire V radio and the black knobs. Most 67's with that radio I've seen at car shows also had the block knobs.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

I have seen both. I just answered that his were original, but as you point out, they are not the only original style.

I imagine the old chrome knobs (first used in '66, IIRC) got used until inventory was gone, then they changed over to the more consistent black rubber.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

New one... I think... It appears the '67 front firewall is of it's own design. The top is like the later models and the bottom is like earlier ones...

Tell me if I'm wrong...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Any idea what a 1967-only sedan engine deck might cost to buy nowadays? And doesn't this decklid have a built-in angled bracket under the latch assembly (three-screw style) and there is a rubber bumper mounted on the angle bracket below the latch?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

I've seen them as low as $40 and as high as $700. Depends whose selling it. And I do recall a rubber dust cover on the apron. Not sure about the bracket.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Here's a 67
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Thanks for the great photos of the red 1967 decklid! Yep, that little metal sort of "z" shaped bracket with the rubber bumper is what I was trying to describe. I think I can get my hands on two of those decklids... Just didn't know if it was worth the effort. Being one year only, I guess I'll try to score them.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Thanks for the great photos of the red 1967 decklid! Yep, that little metal sort of "z" shaped bracket with the rubber bumper is what I was trying to describe. I think I can get my hands on two of those decklids... Just didn't know if it was worth the effort. Being one year only, I guess I'll try to score them.

Bill

The only 67 engine lids worth tracking down are the convertible engine lids. The sedan engine lids are very common and I see them priced in the $40 dollar range frequently. The convertible lids can fetch big $ for an engine lid. I paid $700 for mine that I installed on my bug sedan. I also had to spend lots of hours to body work it before paint.

If I remember right, VW sold like 700k sedans in the USA and only 15k convertibles in 1967.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

According to the convertible registry 7597 were made in 1967.
925,787 Beetles were produced in 1967.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
Azul67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

I am recently purchased a lotus white 67 bug and am looking for a good source on where to find some color matched fender beading. I spoke to one place but they mentioned that the color for the fender beading they are able to source is more of a pearl white color. Not sure how close this is to original, but would like as close to original as possible if I am spending the extra money.
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

I have no idea if this has been mentioned yet, but the seat belt bar that mounts to the tunnel is OYO for 1967. Honestly I have not been able to find newly-manufactured seat belts that will work with an original bar from a manufacturer I feel I can trust, so I will be leaving this detail out of my rebuild and going with three-points that have the airplane-style buckle. My goal is a daily driver so safety for me is above originality, since the car currently has crappy retractable kit.
Bringing a 67 back to stock can be quite the undertaking; you have my best wishes!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Azul67 wrote:
I am recently purchased a lotus white 67 bug and am looking for a good source on where to find some color matched fender beading. I spoke to one place but they mentioned that the color for the fender beading they are able to source is more of a pearl white color. Not sure how close this is to original, but would like as close to original as possible if I am spending the extra money.

A Lotus White car would have used Savannah Beige fender beading.

http://1967beetle.com/fender-beading-combinations/

Buy light color fender beading.. and use spray Vinyl dye of your color choice..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REDKAFER wrote:
I have no idea if this has been mentioned yet, but the seat belt bar that mounts to the tunnel is OYO for 1967. Honestly I have not been able to find newly-manufactured seat belts that will work with an original bar from a manufacturer I feel I can trust, so I will be leaving this detail out of my rebuild and going with three-points that have the airplane-style buckle. My goal is a daily driver so safety for me is above originality, since the car currently has crappy retractable kit.
Bringing a 67 back to stock can be quite the undertaking; you have my best wishes!

The 67 US spec lap front seat belts with the center bar and claw type latch were used in other countries well into the 70's.
Not a one year only part...and not a Beetle only part... but maybe a first year used part..

FWIW.. .. you could always have the originals re belted with new material.

I agree. 3 points are safer.... especially when a proper head restraint seat is added.

That way your head is firmly in place when the non collapsible steering shaft nails you in the head and chest..

Which is also ^ upgradeable.. Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Quote:

That way your head is firmly in place when the non collapsible steering shaft nails you in the head and chest..

Which is also ^ upgradeable.. Laughing

You know, I actually was going to mention that exact "feature" of the steering column but I nixed it lol (trying to avoid making the thread about my car) though it's good to know I can drop one of the honeycombs in. This way instead of coming out of my spine in a collision the horn button will stop against my heart so the final few beats will playfully toot the horn.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

^ Laughing

REDKAFER wrote:
. This way instead of coming out of my spine in a collision the horn button will stop against my heart so the final few beats will playfully toot the horn.

1967 Beetle steering wheel should have a half horn ring.... the "button" is merely a decorative nut cover..
Im sure your Spleen will cushion the rings blow.. or pop like a balloon as it's shish kabobed Laughing

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT, perhaps we have a morbid sense of humor, no?
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

REDKAFER wrote:

Please reconsider using the clamshell "airplane" style buckles. I had those in my double cab and my wife was hit extremely hard in the front right corner. The offset impact lifted the truck unloading the tension on the buckle and they came open. The result was severe and life-changing. I would only use belts that have positive locking mechanisms.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Yes, 3-point inertial is the only way to go in today's traffic!
Keep the old ones for the museum. You want new, flexible (but not old and overstretched) belts protecting you. Belts are not just straps... they have "give" to them in the webbing to slow your deceleration. When they get old, dirty, stiff, they no longer cushion, they may as well be a metal strap!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

REDKAFER wrote:

Anxious .. just reality...

Back on topic..
There are many things that can be upgraded for safety.. it's a choice how many things to add to a tin can to make one feel more safe..

Better 3 point seat belts and a collapsible steering shaft is a great start... I'm for high back seats... buy they take some of the charm out of the classic.

Crash avoidance and defensive driving.. seems to be, even more in this day and age... the key to survival..

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
REDKAFER wrote:

Anxious .. just reality...

Back on topic..
There are many things that can be upgraded for safety.. it's a choice how many things to add to a tin can to make one feel more safe..

Better 3 point seat belts and a collapsible steering shaft is a great start... I'm for high back seats... buy it they take some of the charm out of the classic.

Crash avoidance and defensive driving.. seems to be, even more in this day and age... the key to survival..

What years have the collapsible steering shaft? Is it a straight swap?

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 48

Jump to: