Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

School me on the 1967 one year only stuff
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
REDKAFER wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT, perhaps we have a morbid sense of humor, no?

Anxious .. just reality...

Back on topic..
There are many things that can be upgraded for safety.. it's a choice how many things to add to a tin can to make one feel more safe..

Better 3 point seat belts and a collapsible steering shaft is a great start... I'm for high back seats... buy it they take some of the charm out of the classic.

Crash avoidance and defensive driving.. seems to be, even more in this day and age... the key to survival..

What years have the collapsible steering shaft? Is it a straight swap?

1968+, and I believe not. I think you have to put a shim under the gas tank because the collapsible part hits the tank.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

1968+, and I believe not. I think you have to put a shim under the gas tank because the collapsible part hits the tank.

I can confirm that. Just put a shiny new gas tank in and the year range is up to 67 with a different gas tank die for 68+, primarily because of that tunnel. Good news though, you can get a 12.5 gallon tank that works from 61 to (i believe) 77 (when they went to the filler door style). This way you can get more capacity and you dont need the shims. (i've always felt weird about shimming things.)
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

[quote="VOLKSWAGNUT"]
REDKAFER wrote:

Back on topic..
There are many things that can be upgraded for safety.. it's a choice how many things to add to a tin can to make one feel more safe..

I completely understand. I switched high back to low back seats in my '67 just to look correct and period. But had I upgraded the DC to 3 pts, she'd be walking today. She was wearing the belts and they were new and tight. I would never have imagined that they would fail the way they did.

I understand it is a personal choice, but we have lived for the past 12 years with the reality of a severe spinal cord injury and the fact I had not upgraded to belts that just might have saved her from her current nightmare. Still, the person who ran the red and my wife's ability to safely avoid a collision bear similar burdens of responsibility. Sadly, the other driver(uninjured) does not live the same hell for his part in this tragedy.

It is a decision we all must make as we enjoy our classic cars/busses in this modern world of distracted drivers. You are correct in stating that there is no way to make them completely safe. Safer though, might just be enough.

Believe me, it is not pleasant knowing something you love hurt someone you love. I just wanted to put some real-world perspective on the choices that we make.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Art Augustensen
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

I am new to the beetle and owner of a late dec/jan bug. It appears to be almost correct with only 40K but the intake manifold I was told is wrong as well as the distributor. Reaching out to other 67 owners or experts for your thoughts or anything else. Is the intake a one year only ?? Thanks Art
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

The distributor is clocked incorrectly. The vacuum can should be to the rear of the car, not the front.
Is there a vacuum advance hose from the left side of the carb to the distributor?

The choke wire looks like it's touching the generator. But it could just be the angle of the pick.

You really should move the filter out of the engine compartment. The weight of the filter and fuel in the line can cause the brass nipple on the carb to wiggle out and the end result is not a pretty sight.

I haven't a clue what the fitting on the upper right side of the fan shroud is for. Or for that matter the hose on the intake manifold below the carb base.

Looks like you have all of the tins, seals and hoses in place. Always good to see on a 50yo engine. Well at least the external goodies are 50yo.

The generator is the original type with the push on connectors. All of the replacement ones have lugs with nuts that the wires attach to.

The oil pressure sensor wire appears to have a crack in it near the left fresh air outlet of the fan shroud. Not really a big deal as long as it does not short on the shroud and cause a false green light on the dash.

The engine cold stand a little cleaning. But it's other wise very stock looking to me.

Nice find.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Art Augustensen wrote:
I am new to the beetle and owner of a late dec/jan bug. It appears to be almost correct with only 40K but the intake manifold I was told is wrong as well as the distributor. Reaching out to other 67 owners or experts for your thoughts or anything else. Is the intake a one year only ?? Thanks Art

It's got a tall distributor cap on whatever distributor that is. The distributor incorrect. It should have a 113905205K distributor with a short cap. As mentioned, the distributor is not clocked correctly either. It has a Brazilian cheap version of the Pierburg square top fuel pump. The fan shroud has a nipple on the top right side for the charcoal canister on 1970 and later bugs. That's incorrect for a 67. Is it a doghouse fan shroud or it could be a 1970 version. The coils been replaced. It's a long one. The original was short.

The engine does look pretty original with the correct generator, pulley and tin.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Art Augustensen wrote:

Clamp your fuel lines to prevent fuel leaks and fire.
ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

After reading through this, I’ve learned so much about 67’s!

Just purchased a 67, with a production date looking like April 67.

The interior is mostly stripped (no headliner or carpet) and it was brought to my attention that the visor clip mounting holes looked odd. I researched the clip differences and it appears they were changed sometime in the middle of the 67 production year. So if I’m reading correctly, early 67’s use 66 visor clips and late 67’s have their own clips before changing again for 68’s?

Does anyone have a picture of a late model 67 with the visors and clips installed to compare to mine? Thanks
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

ty151 wrote:
...and it was brought to my attention that the visor clip mounting holes looked odd. I researched the clip differences and it appears they were changed sometime in the middle of the 67 production year. So if I’m reading correctly, early 67’s use 66 visor clips and late 67’s have their own clips before changing again for 68’s?

Does anyone have a picture of a late model 67 with the visors and clips installed to compare to mine? Thanks

You are correct. Starting at chassis # 11740816 the visor clips looked like this (these are not OG but WW repops):

ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Ok thanks you. This is what mine looks like, does it look to be late 67 only visor clip mounts?

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I haven't a clue what the fitting on the upper right side of the fan shroud is for. Or for that matter the hose on the intake manifold below the carb base.

I'm late to the party with answers, just saw this one. It's got a later shroud on it, one with the nipple at the upper right. CHeck if it's a "doghouse" shroud and cooler... not original but a worthwhile upgrade from stock parts. The nipple on the intake manifold identifies it as a later unit also. The original probably had a plugged heat riser and this was the closest they found.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

ty151 wrote:
Ok thanks you. This is what mine looks like, does it look to be late 67 only visor clip mounts?

Are the assist straps on the B-pillars there? There are two different kinds for '67; over/under mounting screws, or side by side. The covers/coat hooks are dependent upon what the mounting bracket style is Wink

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

No straps in the car currently. But it looks to have the over/under mounting holes. Here’s what it looks like

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Herrbern wrote:
Art Augustensen wrote:

Clamp your fuel lines to prevent fuel leaks and fire.

See link at end of this post on engine fires and safety wires. My 67 Motor nearly burnt my car to the ground because of this issue. it caught fire, only quick use of an extinguisher saved the car from total loss.

and yes that fan shroud is from a later car with fuel evap recovery system.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deck Lid Latch Plastic piece. The plastic piece on deck lid latch that goes on hook to keep dirt out of lock? Only used on 67.

Where might one find this piece?

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
Deck Lid Latch Plastic piece. The plastic piece on deck lid latch that goes on hook to keep dirt out of lock? Only used on 67.

Y'mean this thing?

This one from Bill May's gallery has been in my stash for MANY years (thanks again, BIll Cool

A SUPER hard part to find because most fell off.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Art Augustensen wrote:

You are missing the spring clips that attach the corrugated preheat tubes to the underside of the air cleaner snorkels.

shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
shakers73 wrote:

Y'mean this thing?

This one from Bill May's gallery has been in my stash for MANY years (thanks again, BIll Cool

A SUPER hard part to find because most fell off.

The piece I'm referring to fit under the latch in the center hole in attached photo

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:

The piece I'm referring to fit under the latch in the center hole in attached photo

Apron Plug.. (not decklid)

Covered many pages ago

6Kabrio7 wrote:
DHMaher wrote:
Ok so is the 67 only rubber apron plug round or oval? My hole is oval. So if they are round do they stretch to fit?

And is 111827527 the right part number? Cip1 says 111827527 fits 52-67 while ISP West among other say 67 only. WW doesn't specify.

Looks round:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-827-527
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111827527

Same part number but 67 only:
http://www.vwispwest.com/111827527.html
http://www.evwparts.com/vwparts/111827527.html

So where can I get the correct plug?

Thanks guys,
I bought mine from Wolfsburg West. All of the links you posted look correct though.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111827527

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 48

Jump to: