Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

School me on the 1967 one year only stuff
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

I've got several questions about my Oct '66 L41 Vert.

67Conv., Herrbern, or Aircooled should easily be able to answer these...

1. Is the back trim on my top supposed to have phillips screws at the ends?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you can see where the screw is in the larger version of this second photo

2. I'm missing the drivers side visor as well as the passenger clip. Are these '67 only vert parts? Can I salvage the clip from another year vert mirror and use it?

3. Are SAE STDB 66 Taillights THE correct taillights for '67?
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

First congratulations on your fine that is a great color combination. Yes a Phillips screw goes in the in there looks to be stainless. Your tail lights are correct also. Sunvisors are not one year only, however do not have a mirror in them. Sunvisor clips are not one year old only. Have you been in touch with Chuck’s convertible tops? He also has a 67 black red interior very nice if you haven’t been in contact with him you should you’ll find him on the web. Any other questions feel free to ask congratulations on a great fine.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the correct screw for the trim above the rear window.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
Bill May posted a picture a while back of a decklid lock dust cover. He said it was a hard to find item. If i'm correct he said it was a 67 only item.
I found this one at the last Bugorama, however it was on a bus decklid lock and it has a part number of #211?7261. It has a small tear over the fourth digit. Did 67 bugs ever come with a dust cover for the decklid lock?

I'm going to put a wanted ad for this, but I figured I would check here... anyone take pity on me, and want to sell me a 67 rear deck lid latch dust cover for my restoration - or have pointers where I can get one??

I managed to procure 2 NOS bus lock dust covers - obviously not the same thing. Sad

Thanks!

- Harry
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Critter1 wrote:
Bill May posted a picture a while back of a decklid lock dust cover. He said it was a hard to find item. If i'm correct he said it was a 67 only item.
I found this one at the last Bugorama, however it was on a bus decklid lock and it has a part number of #211?7261. It has a small tear over the fourth digit. Did 67 bugs ever come with a dust cover for the decklid lock?

I'm going to put a wanted ad for this, but I figured I would check here... anyone take pity on me, and want to sell me a 67 rear deck lid latch dust cover for my restoration - or have pointers where I can get one??

I managed to procure 2 NOS bus lock dust covers - obviously not the same thing. Sad

Thanks!

- Harry

The dust covers on 67 beetles did have the 211 part number.
Heritage was reproducing them some time ago, but they haven't had them on their site in quite a while...
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
harrymarlin wrote:
Critter1 wrote:

Thanks!

- Harry

Heritage was reproducing them some time ago, but they haven't had them on their site in quite a while...

Unfortunately, it looks like I got a slightly different part number (211827261A). That darn "A" messed me up. If anyone has the right one, please PM me! See below for the wrong one (bus).

- Harry
NavyGeneral Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

The two Part Numbers for bus engine compartment lid lock (VW terminology Cap inner) dust covers 211 827 261 (for lock Part Number 211 827 503 D/L from beginning of 1968 through July 1971) and Part Number 211 827 261 A (from August 1971 Model Year 1972. These two Part Numbers were introduced into Volkswagen Type 2 production during 1968-and do not appear in Type 1 Parts Lists or Microfiche. Hard to pin these to 1967 Type 1.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

NavyGeneral wrote:
The two Part Numbers for bus engine compartment lid lock (VW terminology Cap inner) dust covers 211 827 261 (for lock Part Number 211 827 503 D/L from beginning of 1968 through July 1971) and Part Number 211 827 261 A (from August 1971 Model Year 1972. These two Part Numbers were introduced into Volkswagen Type 2 production during 1968-and do not appear in Type 1 Parts Lists or Microfiche. Hard to pin these to 1967 Type 1.

Wow - outstanding research, NavyGeneral. I too have not been able to find that part number in any of my Type 1 part lists, nor have I been able to find any in-box NOS latches with it included. Your research shows it is unlikely to be an original 1967 Type 1 part, and that makes sense to me. Perhaps it was added to some cars by a well meaning PO or dealer - or maybe it was an aftermarket or replacement item added in at some point (just not officially).

Thanks for posting back your research!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Has anyone mentioned Door panels as one year only '67 items?

I unfortunately found this out when I bought some original door panels thinking 67-77 were all the same because all the aftermarket suppliers sell them as being the same. Well... they're not. Unfortunately because the door handles grew in '68 the holes for the original '67 door handles don't line up.

Here's a '66 door panel. Note the chrome strip....

Here's the original panel in my '67 vert. Note the smaller door handle still and late larger door release...

Here's the '68-70 "red" sedan door panels which has the wider spacing for the larger door pull. Later door panels can be made to work though if you drill a new hole for the handle. The rest of the door handle actually covers the hole

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Has anyone mentioned Door panels as one year only '67 items?

Whoah! I had no idea! Didn't you pick those up as NOS, too? The new panels look outstanding.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Add convertible Visors as one year only '67 parts

151 857 551 C and 552 C are specific to '67.

151 857 551 B is for 64-66 and D is '68-? (didn't really check to see)

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

i recently bought a 67 project car and i am wondering if there is somewhere a list with the part differences of this car.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
harrymarlin wrote:
Critter1 wrote:

Thanks!

- Harry

Adding to the old conversation, I was lucky to be well enough in Bill May's good graces that he gave me one of his around 2006 or 7. The middle digit gets worn off but the part number is 211827261 and, yes, is a bus part number. It was only used in 1967. They are so rare because they are only held on by friction and over time, they just slip off. Neither of my '67 bugs (that I bought from the original owners) had them, and neither did my '67 21-Window. None had locking deck lid latches, which this part fits.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Leoniums wrote:
i recently bought a 67 project car and i am wondering if there is somewhere a list with the part differences of this car.

No comprehensive list of '67 Type I only changes. Progressive Refinements can be reviewed, but it's a bit haphazard as it covers Type 1, 2, and 3. I don't believe it covers some of the subtle changes like the three different door lock pulls or the two different assist straps. This thread covers all that stuff.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my 67 dust cover, I got from Bill May years ago. Yes, it is in a sealed display case.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

^^^LOL!! Now, that's funny Laughing

Bill told me he only had a couple. I guess you got the other one. I learned a LOT from him over a bunch of years. And you, too, Richard Cool

Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

I have a 67 project car and i am wondering if there is any list on which i can see which parts are similar with other year beetles.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Leoniums wrote:
I have a 67 project car and i am wondering if there is any list on which i can see which parts are similar with other year beetles.

As you found this thread, which started out with a similar question, Ithink you can see that such a list only exists in threads like these, when people share as much as they know. That being said this might assist:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=325676&highlight=pvc+rear+seat
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Leoniums wrote:

Sorry to say Leoniums it is not quite that simple.

In 1967 there where eight or nine different VW factories around the World making ten to fifteen different versions of the Beetle.

To give you good answers to your questions it's best if you can share some of your Beetles history like what market was it originally sold in (EU, US, AUS, SA etc), what displacement it came with (1200, 1300 or 1500cc) and what trim level (ie Deluxe/Sparkafer).

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.
Here is my car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745780
I have started taking it apart, and soon i will start making a list of what i will need. Some parts i might be able to get them locally, so i am wondering what year parts should i search for. Fenders, seats, doors etc. Probably all the sheet metal will be from wolfparts or something. And i need a lot of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 48

Jump to: