Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

School me on the 1967 one year only stuff
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Thanks - I was hoping you would reply. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Here you go.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

John P wrote:
"It goes smooth side out. i.e. facing the light."

With regard to the decklid grommet, a '67 guru has advised me that the smooth side goes in (facing the engine). Interesting.

Does anyone have a pic from a survivor car/factory literature to illuminate the issue? All of my pics of survivor cars/factory lit have the decklid cropped/don't clarify.

Thanks again,

John

Bump re: above. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

"It goes smooth side out. i.e. facing the light."

With regard to the decklid grommet, a '67 guru has advised me that the smooth side goes in (facing the engine). Interesting.

Does anyone have a pic from a survivor car/factory literature to illuminate the issue? All of my pics of survivor cars/factory lit have the decklid cropped/don't clarify.

Thanks again,

John
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Thanks DKK.
DKK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
With respect to the license plate hole plug, how does the wire for the license plate light pass through it?
The hole for the plug has a slot and a tab. The tab holds the wire and the slot allows the wire to pass through the decklid.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

With respect to the license plate hole plug, how does the wire for the license plate light pass through it?
John P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Danke!
DKK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

John P wrote:

Which way does the deck lid license plate light hole plug/grommet (see pic) face?

- Smooth side forward (facing the engine)
- Smooth side out (facing the license plate light)

I scanned pics of low mileage examples but couldn't make out the detail.

Thanks,

J

It goes smooth side out. i.e. facing the light.

Rick
John P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Which way does the deck lid license plate light hole plug/grommet (see pic) face?

- Smooth side forward (facing the engine)
- Smooth side out (facing the license plate light)

I scanned pics of low mileage examples but couldn't make out the detail.

Thanks,

J
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
industryvw wrote:
Why has no one mentioned the front override tube having an outward radius to the center section.

Like this?

Im not sure why people think this is 1967 specific, because it isn’t. I had an all original ‘55 oval that had it, among other super original early cars that also had it.

Got a pic of it?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
industryvw wrote:
Why has no one mentioned the front override tube having an outward radius to the center section.

Like this?

Im not sure why people think this is 1967 specific, because it isn’t. I had an all original ‘55 oval that had it, among other super original early cars that also had it.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Leoniums wrote:
What i am thinking is to get (if i find a good one) 66 shell, change the deck lid, rear appron, and doors. My 67 car has the previous look fenders, so are same with a 66. I believe all the other things are the same.
Maybe i got more lucky like this.

Looking at your gallery photos, you have a '67 Deluxe. The front fenders are not correct for the Deluxe. At some point they were changed to the old style. Your steering wheel, dash trim, thin trim on the hood, thin side body trim molding, rear quarter window trim all denote Deluxe.

**Update**

In the same way that the 1967 VW Canadian Custom model that is unique to the Canadian market, there is a “1300 Deluxe” that is unique to Australia and they were built in the Australian plant. Interestingly, it still has the same doors, door handles, and door locks from ’66 and the same engine decklid and apron from ’66 (unlike all the Type 1 cars built in Germany got the updated style.) It has the fatter ’66 and older style trim on the body and hood. The wheels and hub caps are the old style, as well. It has the old style front fenders and is 6v. The decklid insignia is “1300” and underneath in script is “Deluxe.” It’s also right-hand drive. The US market dealerships got Type 1 Deluxes only, which had 12v electrics, updated front fenders, but still retained drum brakes up front. Of course, you could opt for hard top sedan, sunroof, or convertible, but only in the Deluxe guise.

After our behind the scenes chats and some more investigation on my part, I'm incorrect. You DON'T have a '67 Deluxe with swapped fenders. I believe yours is a typical 1967 Type 1 “1300” for the European market based on the trim moldings, air cleaner, and what I suspect is 6v electrics, or at least were originally. I bet your car has front disc brakes, too. That would fit squarely with the European Type 1. The old style front fenders are proper for that car and also the European 1200 and 1500. If it were a 1200, I don’t believe there would be any trim molding on the car, as that is the most basic model. A 1500cc engine has two air intake “shorkels.” Thus, the tin would require a hole on each side to accommodate the preheat tubes to the snorkels.

When you decide what you are going to do with it (or another one), start a new thread do show your progress. Your idea to build a "barn" and use it as a workshop is great. We love progress pics!

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Leoniums wrote:
What i am thinking is to get (if i find a good one) 66 shell, change the deck lid, rear appron, and doors. My 67 car has the previous look fenders, so are same with a 66. I believe all the other things are the same.

Nikos,
'66 doors have completely different latches and don't think they can easily be converted.
'-'66

67-

'66 doors do not have a hole for the inside lock button either.

'66 doors will also have larger holes for the side trim.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

These may help. Read through them to assess differences in the model and also in different markets. They are all 1967s.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67bug_1200.php

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67_new1300s_australian.php

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67_new1500.php

You will note that although the front fenders vary between the '66 style and the "new" '67 style without the glass dome, the updated decklid and rear apron were used across all the '67 Type 1 models. Therefore, the decklid from a '66 will not fit the '67 unless you also change the rear apron to the earlier style, too.

Now, having said all that and posted those reference links, a car that is this old could have had wrong parts put on it at some point for the sake of cost, convenience, or personal preference in the past. Unless you have a documented history of the car it's hard to know exactly. But you have plenty of reference info now to see what body components were offered in the various '67 T1 models. Hope that helps Cool

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Leoniums wrote:
Thanks again for the info and the for the atached links.
I hope you wont get mad... but i have to ask you...
Can a 66 shell with spesific shett metal replacemtns be same with a 67 model?
I have to ask cause the project car i own, is full of suprises, many accidents and a lot of rust, so i am not sure if i should continue or not. So i am also looking for alternatives, especially since i can find 66 shells in a good shape.
I am not sure though about my question and if its "right" to do something like that.

Major body changes in '67 included the rear apron and decklid. Other changes were more subtle and substitutions could probably be made.
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Thanks again for the info and the for the atached links.
I hope you wont get mad... but i have to ask you...
Can a 66 shell with spesific shett metal replacemtns be same with a 67 model?
I have to ask cause the project car i own, is full of suprises, many accidents and a lot of rust, so i am not sure if i should continue or not. So i am also looking for alternatives, especially since i can find 66 shells in a good shape.
I am not sure though about my question and if its "right" to do something like that.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Leoniums wrote:
Are there any 67models, which have been manufactured late 66 and are 6v?
Cause i also found a car like this

They were also manufactured in '67 with 6v. But not for the US market. As was already noted at the end of the last page, a number of plants manufactured VWs and there were notable differences. Deluxes, standards and customs. Non-US markets had varied requirements and different selections of models and equipment.

Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Reply with quote

Are there any 67models, which have been manufactured late 66 and are 6v?
Cause i also found a car like this
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 48

Jump to: