Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

James Deans Porsche
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

I was just curious about the story about his porsche that he wrecked Shocked

wasn't it fatal? I also have heard rumors of the car still being around somewere all smashed up is this true Question

Which highway was it that he wrecked on, was it highway 46 or highway 41 thanks for any feedback I was just really curious about this subject because I was watching a TV program about James Dean and they metioned something about his wrecked porsche but they really didnt go into depth about it but Im sure one of you would have the whole scoop on the matter. Very Happy
vw (o\!/o) nut
Samba Member

Location: Wisconsin - Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good start.

http://members.aol.com/jaydeebee1/memorial.html
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

vdubinit wrote:
I was just curious about the story about his porsche that he wrecked Shocked

wasn't it fatal? I also have heard rumors of the car still being around somewere all smashed up is this true Question

Which highway was it that he wrecked on, was it highway 46 or highway 41 thanks for any feedback I was just really curious about this subject because I was watching a TV program about James Dean and they metioned something about his wrecked porsche but they really didnt go into depth about it but Im sure one of you would have the whole scoop on the matter. Very Happy

I go by the site a couple of times a year, on the way to visit my in-laws.

Dean was travelling on 46 and was "left turned" by another car. The account in the newspaper article is fairly accurate, but more recent forensics have speculated that the other driver was likely at fault and that Dean's speed wasn't as high as previously reported.

The highway alignments have been completely changed and the current intersection isn't where the accident occured.

BTW, the restaurant at the memorial site isn't all that good. Poor food and service when I tried it a couple of years back. Save your money and drive a few miles to Paso Robles.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car everybody is looking for is his Speedster that he sold to buy the Spyder. Wink

Last edited by 53 0val on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
The car everybody is looking for is his Speedster that he sold to by the Spyder. Wink

Didnt someone offer a $5000 dollar reward for just the location of the car, if it could actually be verified as that car, and on top of that an additional 25k if he ended up buying it?
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
53 0val wrote:
The car everybody is looking for is his Speedster that he sold to by the Spyder. Wink

Didnt someone offer a $5000 dollar reward for just the location of the car, if it could actually be verified as that car, and on top of that an additional 25k if he ended up buying it?

Chump change. If you found James Dean's Speedster you could damn near retire off what you could sell that car for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
53 0val wrote:

Chump change. If you found James Dean's Speedster you could damn near retire off what you could sell that car for.

wow that news article was great almost explained the whole sequence of events but what ever happened to the car

I mean it sounds like it was beyond repairable but iu wonder if they crushed it or maybe the tow truck driver stuff it in a barn just bexause it was james dean's porsche Question
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
53 0val wrote:

That is if you could own the car.. If a private collecter has it and all you had to do was find it, 5k is a nice sum to stumble across it. Let alone try and help the guy make a deal and get another 25k!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Simon uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that news article was great almost explained the whole sequence of events but what ever happened to the car

I mean it sounds like it was beyond repairable but iu wonder if they crushed it or maybe the tow truck driver stuff it in a barn just bexause it was james dean's porsche Question[/quote]

I thought there was a whole story about the car being jinxed, its the 550-055 chassis number thing! It was used as a mobile (on a trailer) advertising campaign until it fell on someone and broke their legs. Then it was on a train or a truck that had a fatal accident. No one knows where the wreck is now, but because it is stolen no one could suddenly present it to the world cause it would be confiscated.

Ok guys, if someone had it and parted it out, would you run any parts of it on your car knowing its reputation? I still think I would use the motor!
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon uk wrote:
I thought there was a whole story about the car being jinxed, its the 550-055 chassis number thing! It was used as a mobile (on a trailer) advertising campaign until it fell on someone and broke their legs. Then it was on a train or a truck that had a fatal accident. No one knows where the wreck is now, but because it is stolen no one could suddenly present it to the world cause it would be confiscated.

Ok guys, if someone had it and parted it out, would you run any parts of it on your car knowing its reputation? I still think I would use the motor!

Apparently, the parts are jinxed too. Various parts off the Spyder were used on other cars, leading to their crashes. Weird stuff...

EDIT. Found an article: http://www.snopes.com/autos/cursed/spyder.asp
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Paso Robles and we drove our 356 out to the dedication ceremony. Here are a few photos from the event.

This is our 57 Sunroof Coupe in Cholame at site of the James Dean memorial. The car happens to be for sale.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a link to a bunch of photos from that day.

http://www.cc356c.com/id117.htm
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about those bumpers?
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are repro bumpers with GT style trim. The car is lowered a bit with polished brake drums. Looks pretty cool.

www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink I thought you might have changed out an engine and had a 4 Cam hiding in the garage.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
coad wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
53 0val wrote:

That is if you could own the car.. If a private collecter has it and all you had to do was find it, 5k is a nice sum to stumble across it. Let alone try and help the guy make a deal and get another 25k!

The car is under a tarp in an alley in British Columbia - Thought you KNEW!
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
coad wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
53 0val wrote:

The car is under a tarp in an alley in British Columbia - Thought you KNEW!

sure buddy prove it
Nid
Samba Drama Queen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jame's Porsche. Only picture I've ever found of the aftermath. Haunting, IMO.

Fuck your God, Your Lord and your Christ, he did this
Took all you had and left you this way

A Perfect Circle - Judith
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
staceyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read after the crash, the fellow that sold it to dean bought back the wreck, sold the engine right away as it was still fine, and sold the rear wheels to someone else. The wreck changed hands a few times and was stolen.
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curse of James Dean's Porsche

James Dean driving his new Porsche with his mechanic Rolf Wutherich on the day of his death.

James Dean's Porsche
Friends told James Dean that the car was trouble when they saw it - a rare Silver Porsche Spyder, one of only 90 in 1955. Nicknamed "The Little Bastard," the car carried the iconic screen rebel to his grave on September 30, 1955.

After the accident, many fans refused to believe Dean was dead. A story circulated that he was still alive although terribly disfigured, and in true urban legend fashion this tale took on a life of its own.

I won't go into all the James Dean as a cult idol stuff except to say his mystique has staying power. For example, his tombstone was stolen twice in 1983, and in 1985 had to be replaced because of damage done to it by fans. Seems he was still the popular fellow despite having been dead for three decades.

After the tragedy, master car customizer George Barris bought the wreck for $2,500. When the wreck arrived at Barris' garage, the Porsche slipped and fell on one of the mechanics unloading it. The accident broke both of the mechanic's legs.

While Barris had bad feelings about the car when he first saw it, his suspicions were confirmed during a race at the Pomona Fair Grounds on October 24, 1956. Two physicians, Troy McHenry and William Eschrid, were both racing cars that had parts from the "Little Bastard." McHenry died when his car, which had the Porsche's engine installed, went out of control and hit a tree. Eschrid's car flipped over. Eschrid, who survived despite serious injuries, later said that the car suddenly locked up when he went into a curve.

The car's malevolent influence continued after the race: one kid trying to steal the Porsche's steering wheel slipped and gashed his arm. Barris reluctantly sold two of the car's tires to a young man; within a week, the man was nearly involved in a wreck when the two tires blew out simultaneously.

Feeling that the Porsche could be put to good use, Barris loaned the wrecked car to the California Highway Patrol for a touring display to illustrate the importance of automobile safety. Within days, the garage housing the Spyder burnt to the ground. With the exception of the "Little Bastard," every vehicle parked inside the garage was destroyed. When the car was put on exhibit in Sacramento, it fell from its display and broke a teenager's hip. George Barkuis, who was hauling the Spyder on a flatbed truck, was killed instantly when the Porsche fell on him after he was thrown from his truck in an accident.

The mishaps surrounding the car continued until 1960, when the Porsche was loaned out for a safety exhibit in Miami, Florida. When the exhibit was over, the wreckage, en route to Los Angeles on a truck, mysteriously vanished. To this day, the "Little Bastard's" whereabouts are unknown.

Sources:

AMC's Hollywood Ghost Stories television special
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a program on Speed that mentioned some of these mishaps also, It is from the Behind the Headlights series and it is more about the car (Spyder 550) rather that James dean. Of course it mentiones James Dean but the program is mainly about the success of the 550. Watch it if you get a chance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: