Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3-Point Rear Seat Belt Install
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squbbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
squbbles wrote:
Also, what do i do with the piece located on the belt between the main seatbelt mechanism and the latch? ie. the part the was bolted on the pillar of the donor car.

If mounting the reels in the factory location (behind the panel, like mine above) then that metal piece mounts to the D-pillar. All vanagons (I think) have an existing threaded hole to take the bolt that holds that oval slide piece. Mine had black plastic plugs in them.

If you're planning to mount the reels up high- i.e. directly to that threaded hole in the D-pillar (ala busdepot or gowesty), then you would have to remove the steel oval slider. Guessing a hacksaw would get it done. Just be sure your reels work (feed and retract webbing) properly at the angle and direction you intend to mount them. As mentioned above, mine (from vanagon front seats) didn't feed webbing in any position other than vertical. They did not work at a 45 degree angle.

BTW...I used a hacksaw to remove that spike on the back of the reel...no problem.

Thanks Steelhead.

Do you know the process for unlocking the fully retracted seatbelt?
Also, if i end up having to install in factory location, is there a T-bracket out there somewhere that I can buy to fit? (I'm hoping to install GoWesty style, but will have to see if the seatbelts will feed at that angle.

I really want to get moving on this project.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to unlock the seat belts, but I would just start trying to take them apart. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Some fab work, fiddling and modification required to mount behind the panel. Unless you like that kind of thing, I would definitely recommend mounting reels to the D-pillar.

Re: t-brackets, if you do chose to go that direction... read my write-up above...all I used was a piece of flat horizontal steel with three holes because my reels had flange that allowed me to bolt them directly to piece of horizontal steel. If your reels don't have a flange, but have a really recessed bolt hole, then I would just use a another piece of flat steel bolted perpendicular to horizontal piece so you can get a wrench on the back more easily. Could be welded to the horizontal but I don't think this necessary.

here's a pic of my finished install on the passenger side. Note I sprayed the bolt heads/washers with some white paint before re-installing the plastic siding. Not that it will ever be seen with the carpet and mattress back there, but I thought it would look cleaner.

BTW...for carat-folks. I used a dremmel for cutting the plastic (two areas on side panel, and one big slot on the vertical cover). Jigsaw might work too. Then I used a file to remove burs and round the edges.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To release a set of belts that are retracted all the way in, hold the reel tight - maybe in a vise (be sure to grab the metal not the plastic) - and pull hard on the webbing. The idea is to tighten up the rolled up webbing a bit, reducing the diameter just enough to let a bit more webbing in to release the ratchet. If they are the style of reel that only works when held perfectly vertical, make sure you do this with them perfectly vertical so you can pull the webbing out when it releases.
squbbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:
To release a set of belts that are retracted all the way in, hold the reel tight - maybe in a vise (be sure to grab the metal not the plastic) - and pull hard on the webbing. The idea is to tighten up the rolled up webbing a bit, reducing the diameter just enough to let a bit more webbing in to release the ratchet. If they are the style of reel that only works when held perfectly vertical, make sure you do this with them perfectly vertical so you can pull the webbing out when it releases.

Thanks for the advice Altoona.

I eventually got the belts to release by taking one apart and figuring out how the mechanism worked. ie. the proper angle that the seatbelt housing must be at to release

I figured out that for anyone salvaging from a Jetta, you will have to mount factory style since the belts DO NOT release at a horizontal angle.

Can someone tell me the approximate angle and direction the belt pulls at from the seatbelt housing towards the D-pillar bolt location?
ie. does it travel towards the back at 45°? 60°? or is it nearly straight up 90°?

I want to make sure that these belts will work (release at angle) for my project before tearing apart the Westy.

Also, anyone have specs on the mounting plate and holes? My belts from Jetta donor should be able to bolt directly into plate.

Are the 3 holes for factory mount threaded just like on D-pillar or use bolt and nut?
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squbbles wrote:
Can someone tell me the approximate angle and direction the belt pulls at from the seatbelt housing towards the D-pillar bolt location?
ie. does it travel towards the back at 45°? 60°? or is it nearly straight up 90°?

I want to make sure that these belts will work (release at angle) for my project before tearing apart the Westy.

Also, anyone have specs on the mounting plate and holes? My belts from Jetta donor should be able to bolt directly into plate.

Are the 3 holes for factory mount threaded just like on D-pillar or use bolt and nut?

The stock brackets tilt the retractor about 10 degrees +/- 1 degree toward the rear of the vehicle.
squbbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me the minimum length belt that is needed to do factory install? I just measured ones from Jetta and they are 100" Shocked Is that going to be long enough?
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squbbles wrote:
Can someone tell me the minimum length belt that is needed to do factory install? I just measured ones from Jetta and they are 100" Shocked Is that going to be long enough?

Mine was 122" and has some extra. If I were you, I would just pull most of the webbing out of the reel (97-98"), have someone hold the reel roughly where it will be mounted, and also hold the oval slider/re-direct piece up where it will be mounted on the d-pillar, then you plug the belt into the existing female buckle attachment and hold the far end where it will bolt to the wall next to the seat and see if it fits comfortably across a large adult.
squbbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: T bracket a must? Reply with quote

Reviving this thread again...

Does anyone know if you MUST install using the "T" bracket or can you just bold directly to the body?

Thanks.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did this today, dont know what you mean by t bracket, but I just found the stock holes and bolted everything up. I used belts from a 99 jetta, the brackets had a stud(is this what you mean by t bracket?) that I used a dremel to take off so I could mount them flush, but that was it.

Btw for others out there I have a weekender so my cabinet is different then the full westy. No need to cut a hole at all in the cabinet, you can cut out a little piece of the backing "wood" ( backing of the cabinet) and run the belt behind the actual cabinet, so no need for the trim pieces either.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok sorry, I saw the write up on the t brackets, in my install I did not use these, I just bolted everything directly up.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone tried either of these places for their belts?

I'd been thinking of using this site:
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/replacement-seat-belts-help.html

Doesn't really matter to me which site I use, but kind of want all my belts to match. Going to need 3-3pt and a 1-2pt. Eventually I'll want 1 (or 2 if I get a jump seat) 4pt and I'll need everything to match! LOL Unless I've missed it, GoWesty doesn't have a 4pt...

I don't want a 3pt through my closet, I tend to over stuff things when I pack and not convinced the seat belt could do it's job going through a closet. So, will use a lap belt for the car seat, then a 4pt for an older child.

If the GoWesty ones are *better* I'll suck up the matching and additional cost, though I thought I read someone complaining about them once b/c they were on their 3rd gowesty one.

Last couple hours of the gowesty sale though, if it's not done already...Think it was a March sale!

Thanks!

tam

Steelhead wrote:
I'm determined to find alternative (or original) 3-point belts for the bench that can go behind panel, but not sure of dimensions.

this looks pretty interesting.
http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH14134C-12.html

I need to check whether or not the 133" belt is sufficient to work, but also whether or not these spools will fit in that body panel cavity. I've got to think 1.75" is narrow enough.

Guy Smilie wrote:
Anyone ever try these belts as an option??

http://www.gotbelts.com/

They seem to fit the bill.

Ken

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
squbbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tam,
Can you tell me how the 4 point would install in the back seat closet side?
Lap portion is self explanatory, but what about the the top anchor portion? Where do you plan to bolt this in? I like this idea.

I am presently installing passenger side 3-point belt from 2001 Jetta. Will keep you all posted on progress. I decided not to use "T" bracket, but rather just a piece of flat stock steel for the bottom portion of the T with the 3 holes for added strength. I don't trust sheet metal only. Will bolt seatbelt to center of the 3 holes.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that if you don't want to cut into your cabinets to install a GW model, and you're going to install Gunzl's factory rear headrests (which I am), then a 4 Pt belt like this one might well make sense - that is, so long as you can figure out a way to detach the 'rear' harness that would go behind the seat so you can fold the bed down. Perhaps figure a means of bolting it into a clip seatbelt receptacle that goes behind the rear seat?
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/4-pt-seat-belt-push-button-help.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be installing anything anywhere, I'm just a girl. Wink When I was looking for my Vanagon, I noticed 2 that had THREE sets of seat belts back there. I've read a few people doing it and/or thinking of doing it here. I'd assume they were for kids. I checked them being a nerdy CRST and all, they were bolted to/in the floor of the van the same way the others were. So, there *must* be extra space back there to bolt extra belts and/or the top. Failing that, I'd have mine attached to and/or in place of my current TA.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=40

The, big question will be, HOW will the bed fold down with that attached? Might have to do something questionable and have/use some sort of removable thing to attach/detach it to the TA? I'm thinking, it will be in the way when the bed is moved...But, don't want a hole in my cabinet. And, don't want a seat belt through the cabinet for safety reasons (stress on cabinet and/or inability for seat belt to work b/c junk is on it.

There is also something called the Rider Safe Travel vest, if you're American it's legal. That is good until the child is 80# and uses regular seat belt, then uses the TA to attach something to the top. May be a good option for you. I don't know a lot about it, it's not legal here.

I'm planning on this head rest:
http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts....255070211A

tam

squbbles wrote:
Tam,
Can you tell me how the 4 point would install in the back seat closet side?
Lap portion is self explanatory, but what about the the top anchor portion? Where do you plan to bolt this in? I like this idea.

I am presently installing passenger side 3-point belt from 2001 Jetta. Will keep you all posted on progress. I decided not to use "T" bracket, but rather just a piece of flat stock steel for the bottom portion of the T with the 3 holes for added strength. I don't trust sheet metal only. Will bolt seatbelt to center of the 3 holes.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to my local yard today and I pulled these set for $40.00..
I scored for sure. I've done this before to my old 85 Bus 7 seater.
Now it's going on my 88 wolfs.now I'm on the hunt for the rear facing 3 point belts. Not sure why VW didn't have this seat belts us a standard in every Van.

Cheers,
Ogi
squbbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I'm envious.

Kombi///M3 wrote:
Went to my local yard today and I pulled these set for $40.00..
I scored for sure. I've done this before to my old 85 Bus 7 seater.
Now it's going on my 88 wolfs.now I'm on the hunt for the rear facing 3 point belts. Not sure why VW didn't have this seat belts us a standard in every Van.

Cheers,
Ogi
squbbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Installed! Reply with quote

Well, I got the passenger side 3-point shoulder/lap belt installed. The belt was out of a 2001 Jetta. I found out the hard way that you have to use the driver's side belt from the Jetta to go in the passenger side of the Westy because of the slight angle that the reel sits. When installing, it faces the opposite side out than when in the Jetta. Hence the need to use the driver's side. Duhhhh!

Anyway, now I need to find the small plastic seat belt guide that installs on the side of the panel where the seat belt comes through. Item # 253 857 720 01C

No longer available in Canada apparently. Crying or Very sad

Ogi...any of these in the van at the wrecker you scored your belts from?
I believe busdepot can still get these.
ejackson_5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay did the junk yard 92 Jetta seat belt install on my 84 Westy with A/C. Pretty easy to do. Some notes:

1. I did have to remove the 15 degree ball bearing bit outlined in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244354

2. For the 92 Jetta belts I had to saw off the extra mounting spike thing from the back side of the belt. I just used a carbide rod blade on a hacksaw, cut through easily and cleanly. Quick buzz with a file and flat as can be.

3. I used the D-pilar mounting point so I had to cut off the D-pilar ring on the 92 belt. Again carbide rod saw. The plastic was harder to get off than the cutting the metal. No issues with the A/C lines on the drivers side.

4. Cutting the cabinet was relatively easy. I used a jigsaw on the outer cabinet cut out and a drill and hole saw combo on the inner cabinet cut out.

5. I didn't have the change the female ends of the belts nor did I have to take the rear seat/bed out.

6. Total cost $18 for the belts, $6 for the blade. Total install time 2.5 hours soup to nuts.

squbbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the Bentley is incorrect for the location to cut the hole for the side panel for belt to come through (passenger side).
Does anyone have correct measurements?

Thanks.
Bntbrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saved the 3 point front seat belts from my 85 parts van. They measure 120 inches. Should I try to see if I can get them in the backseat or should I get three points from a Jetta and put them in my 84 Westy?

And for Tam, the extra seat belt in the rear at least for me was simply taking a lapbelt from a parts van and bolting it in with the existing two seatbelts.

I'm going to be running out of room soon as the kids are growing.

www.DIYSeattle.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: